Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC Seeding 2020 Men

BrooklynBull

On 2/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, skrabukes said:

So long as we get a 1-4 seed, it doesn't make tons of difference to me where we land up. No matter which spot it is, it will require 3 wins in Cleveland, with no easy games regardless of seed number. Just win some games down the stretch and be in position to only need 3 wins versus 4 and then play lights out from Thursday - Saturday!

I prefer 2 or 3. Avoid Akron until the final.

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

See it’s so subjective. I don’t wanna play Kent St again. Depending where everyone ends up we could potentially play them in the quarters.

the 4 is going to be brutal.

There is a distinct difference to that spot. 

That is going to be a Kent - Akron - BG path. 

the difference between the 2-3 is marginal.They have to be shooting for that. However the difference between 3 and 4 is big!

The 1 is always interesting because we'd get an auto to the NIT, which would be a fun year to have that fallback

Edited by Kevin

Just now, Kevin said:

the 4 is going to be brutal.

There is a distinct difference to that spot. 

That is going to be a Kent - Akron - BG path. 

the difference between the 2-3 is marginal.

They have to be shooting for that. 

The 1 is always interesting because we'd get an auto to the NIT, which would be a fun year to have that fallback

The last line is important (one that I forgot about). Therefore, obviously 1 would be best. The rest of the standings are far too close to know which slot would be "best". I think that Ball State has the inside track on the 5 slot at this point, as they have an extra game and play against the Western conference opponents.

I'm not quite sure who I'd want to face of any of the teams. Seemingly Miami, Ohio, WMU would seem like the ones we'd want to see, but none will likely make it to Cleveland. Next tier would be EMU, Toledo and CMU, although we've seen what EMU can do to teams, especially us. Is there a great difference in Ball St, Kent, NIU? or Akron, BG? Personally I always like to avoid Kent and Akron in Cleveland, since their located so close to the arena.

No matter what, UB just needs to take care of their own games and team and let the rest fall where it may. It will be a fun few weeks, as they always are!

5 hours ago, SGBull said:

I’m honestly most scared of NIU in the tournament. That team seems to always play well against us.

Teams that worry me: in no order 

EMU bc of their zone

Kent St bc they play physical and that could wear you down in a tournament setting. If not against them then against the next team

Akron and BG for obvious reasons. They are good.

NIU bc we can’t seem to beat them.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Meanwhile Ohio is up 15 against BG at half.

I tuned in to hear theBG annoucers cheering for BG buckets and calling And-1s. Also, complaining about the refs when BG has only committed 2 fouls

Well they blew it. Justin Turner with an ankle breaking iso step back in the final seconds. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Meanwhile Ohio is up 15 against BG at half.

I tuned in to hear theBG annoucers cheering for BG buckets and calling And-1s. Also, complaining about the refs when BG has only committed 2 fouls

Those two knuckleheads should be banned from the airways. 

5 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Those two knuckleheads should be banned from the airways. 

A lot if these ESPN+ “announcers” are homers. They either work for the university or are former players of the university. I think the BG analyst was a former player. That being the case can you really expect any different?

And yea they sucked.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

The 1 seed seems pretty unlikely now, with BG and Akron both at 11 wins, with one of the guaranteed to get to 12 wins since they play each other. We would have to win out and hope either BG or Akron (the winner of their matchup) loses to their other two opponents. Seems pretty unlikely. We can only control what we can control, so hopefully UB can get at least 2 more wins. Maybe CMU will help us out here as they're in OT with NIU right now.

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The 1 seed seems pretty unlikely now, with BG and Akron both at 11 wins, with one of the guaranteed to get to 12 wins since they play each other. We would have to win out and hope either BG or Akron (the winner of their matchup) loses to their other two opponents. Seems pretty unlikely. We can only control what we can control, so hopefully UB can get at least 2 more wins. Maybe CMU will help us out here as they're in OT with NIU right now.

Huge game Tuesday night!!! Gotta bring it from the opening tap. 

• Like 1

Well, no help from anyone this week. We're still sitting in 4th (tied with NIU for 3rd, but they've got the tiebreak on us) with 1 game up on BSU and 2 games up on Kent. I'd like to think that 3+ wins all but guarantees a top 4 spot and 2 wins would put us in at least a tie for 4th. As we've seen, the Bulls can win against anyone, or the opposite. Let's hope for another one for the good guys on Tuesday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Huge game Tuesday night!!! Gotta bring it from the opening tap. 

Another mental challenge. Will we have a let down effect after a grueling victory. I watched Ohio tonight...they don’t know how to win just yet and ball pressure can disorientate them. A game we should win. But being on the road and the let down factor can make this interesting.

• Like 1

I gotta think 2-2 in these last four gets them into the top 4.  UB has the tiebreaker on Central, who would have to go 5-0.  Kent would need to go 4-0, which is a tall task with Akron and BG on the schedule.  Just gotta hope that Ball State/NIU cannibalize each other and one of the bottom-half West teams sneaks an upset.

Still, though, seeding aside, Akron really does appear to be a class above the rest of the conference this year.  UB can beat them (clearly, since they already did), but it's their conference to lose this year.

4 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I gotta think 2-2 in these last four gets them into the top 4.  UB has the tiebreaker on Central, who would have to go 5-0.  Kent would need to go 4-0, which is a tall task with Akron and BG on the schedule.  Just gotta hope that Ball State/NIU cannibalize each other and one of the bottom-half West teams sneaks an upset.

Still, though, seeding aside, Akron really does appear to be a class above the rest of the conference this year.  UB can beat them (clearly, since they already did), but it's their conference to lose this year.

Gotta start with a win Tuesday. I can’t wait to see Akron get knocked off again. 

• Like 1

The Bulls no longer control their own destiny for a bye. 

If they win out and so does Ball State, we'd be in a three way tie with NIU, giving BSU and NIU the tiebreakers. 

We need BSU or NIU to lose to Toledo or WMU, which may be a tall task. 

ERq1quTXsAAHCmx?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Kevin

I am curious about tiebreaker...Let's say Ball State and Bulls end up tied with 4th best record...say 11-7, which I think is tougher for the Bulls.  Here are rules for two teams

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record (10 games)^

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip

Head to Head is even.  Let's say Bowling Green ends up as the top team, and we beat them next week...does this mean based on c we get fourth seed based on 1-1 record against BG vs 0-2 record for Ball St against BG?   

The bottom line seems like too many scenarios to worry about...Guess just focus on tomorrow...shoot for the win.

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I am curious about tiebreaker...Let's say Ball State and Bulls end up tied with 4th best record...say 11-7, which I think is tougher for the Bulls.  Here are rules for two teams

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record (10 games)^

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip

Head to Head is even.  Let's say Bowling Green ends up as the top team, and we beat them next week...does this mean based on c we get fourth seed based on 1-1 record against BG vs 0-2 record for Ball St against BG?   

The bottom line seems like too many scenarios to worry about...Guess just focus on tomorrow...shoot for the win.

Yes. But then we need NIU to win on the last night of the year. 

We have the tiebreaker on just BallSU if tied 1 on 1. We lose it if NIU is tied with us at whatever record 11-7 or 12-6 

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I believe things became a little more clearer with Kent State’s loss tonight. Barring us losing out and them winning out, I believe we can’t fall below them. If we take care of business at home we should be in good shape for the 4 seed.

Regardless of seed, I feel much better about chances in tournament if we go at least 2-1.  The team will have more confidence winning at least 6 of 8 down the stretch.  

• Like 1

Here’s some salt in the wound...NIU lost today also. Ball St. lost. Kent lost yesterday. And for good measure BG lost. Missed opportunity to create a game separation on the 4 seed and move into a tie break situation for the 3 seed. 

Bright side: Miami has won 2 in a row, maybe they will have a let down game against us on Tuesday smh.

Potential is still there for the bye to Cleveland.  

UB has Miami at home, and @ Bowling Green.  Ball State has Central at home and @ NIU.  UB should beat Miami at home.  Kent has BG at home and @ Akron.  If UB takes care of business against Miami, they have to be in the driver's seat for the 4-seed.  Not a guarantee, but the odds-on favorite.