Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Josh Mballa

UB85

He gave a defensive and rebounding clinic tonight as he does most nights. He held Teague to four points. Another huge double double. And without him turning the tide around in the first half one could easily argue this would have been a loss tonight rather than a huge W. 

While that is all true, at least imo, what I’d like to highlight is his defense on screens. It is truly outstanding and likely the best I’ve ever seen from a UB player. Unlike his teammates who are often times in no man’s land when their man sets a screen, Josh jumps on top of the screen and stymies the play’s design by stopping the dribbler in his tracks thusly the opponents offense altogether. Secondly if his teammate doesn’t recover Josh is athletic and tall enough to defend and give the opponent fits. When his teammate does recover Josh despite being out beyond the top of the key on occasion is still able to recover and get back to guard his man down low. To see this in action is a thing of beauty. His screen defense is among the best in the country! Look for it in the games ahead. 

One non Josh related item. I thought I caught Jordan looking at the floor just prior to his release on a foul shot. It could explain why he’s such a poor free throw shooter. I was always taught to lock into to your target before shooting. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I agree with everything you said, one thing that has surprised me is his competence on the fast break. If he steals the ball he can dribble end to end, take two steps from the three point line, and still finish gracefully. 

And out of the gate this season he did not display this aptitude. Thinking back on the first few games he looked terrible when he had the ball in his hands in the open court like he had no idea what to do with it. It even looked like he didn't want the ball at all and was looking to pass as quick as possible. I think I recall him even dribbling off his feet a few times. But to see his confidence flying high now and ability to take it end to end - the dude is a work horse and will only continue to get better. 

In the first half last night against Ball St he had a play I'm so sorry he wasn't able to finish. Brought the ball up on a break, picked up speed as he hit the 3 pt line and drove right at 2 Ball St defenders with authority. If he didn't get fouled right before the rim he was going to bring the entire basket down with that dunk. He so deserved that moment. 

His ability to be patient, stay home and let the play come to him and defend the post is the top reason we've been able to stay ahead in these tight MAC games. MAC teams should be scared of this dude. He's going to be a force.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thatdudeBlume said:

And out of the gate this season he did not display this aptitude. Thinking back on the first few games he looked terrible when he had the ball in his hands in the open court like he had no idea what to do with it. It even looked like he didn't want the ball at all and was looking to pass as quick as possible. I think I recall him even dribbling off his feet a few times. But to see his confidence flying high now and ability to take it end to end - the dude is a work horse and will only continue to get better. 

In the first half last night against Ball St he had a play I'm so sorry he wasn't able to finish. Brought the ball up on a break, picked up speed as he hit the 3 pt line and drove right at 2 Ball St defenders with authority. If he didn't get fouled right before the rim he was going to bring the entire basket down with that dunk. He so deserved that moment. 

His ability to be patient, stay home and let the play come to him and defend the post is the top reason we've been able to stay ahead in these tight MAC games. MAC teams should be scared of this dude. He's going to be a force.

He still has to work on strengthening his hands. He gets his hands in a lot of balls both in rebounds and in the lane but gets it knocked of his hands too easily. But all in all he has boat loads of potential greatness. 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:37 AM, Jeseph said:

In Mballa we trust.

Do agree. He has shown steady progress from the beginning of the year and really not sure what some of the forecasts and expectations were for him. I looked into his stats at TT and I knew he did not play or contribute much. Here are a few stats: Played in 17 games, averaged 3.4 minutes, was 4-9 from the field, had 5 rebounds total, was 5-14 from the free throw line, scored 13 points total. By those stats he looks like he has exceeded all expectations in all facets of his game. I think the sky is the limit for him and the team. If only we could of hit on both Hardnett and Nickelberry as being contributors this year who knows where we would be.  Go Bulls!!!!

I watched some of the Virginia Pitt game yesterday. Tony Bennett is the best defensive coach in the NCAA. And his big guys all stepped up and challenged the opposing dribbler on the ball screen. Not sure why we didn’t against Kent but I wish we did. 

38 minutes ago, hurley said:

Josh Mballa stats since coming off the bench.  Clearly it is working. He has been a stud and the only thing that you can say is maybe he should be playing even more minutes.  

5W - 2L

image.png.a79a7d938dabbda29512eaf4c8ed42b3.png

Hurley, your bottom row is inaccurate with regard to FG% and FT%. You arrive at correct percents by dividing the total attempts into total successes. (Not by averaging the percents). For example, the total FG% for Mballa over the 7 games is 58.3% (28 made baskets divided by 48 shots attempted). Otherwise it’s a good illustration of the impact he has had coming off the bench and hopefully he’ll get more playing time  (foul situation considered).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hurley said:

If he learns to shoot 3's he will be better then Perkins, but that is a big if.   Mballa is already more dominant on the boards and on defensive. Perkins career stats for comparison:

image.png.ec0256515c597f8298a6e9140773501f.png

Agreed. A big if...but IMO Mballa has already surpassed Perk as a rebounder and a defensive force.

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

If mballa learns to shoot a three or even just a jumper, he will become the first ub player drafted in the nba.

Too hot of a take?

He will never be the first player from UB drafted into the NBA.  That honor goes to Bob Vartanian.  He was drafted in the 13th round of the 1973 NBA Draft by the Buffalo Braves.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1973.html

https://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10441&catid=73&Itemid=342

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

He will never be the first player from UB drafted into the NBA.  That honor goes to Bob Vartanian.  He was drafted in the 13th round of the 1973 NBA Draft by the Buffalo Braves.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1973.html

https://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10441&catid=73&Itemid=342

Looks like I have to get up to date on my ub bulls history!

Mballa has been great. A beast on the boards. And he has much more room for growth in his overall game. For example his footwork in the post needs improvement. If he could develop a jumper, I’d say a post or mid range type jumper but that’s a lost art in today’s game. There were a few examples during the Kent state game where he had the ball just below the free throw line wide open and looked to pass bc he was uncomfy. It happened in the 2nd half. If over the next two years he can grow and develop that he will be unstoppable in the MAC.

He’s a classic tweener for the next level and would really need to develop an outside shot to be a 3&D type player. 

18 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Mballa has been great. A beast on the boards. And he has much more room for growth in his overall game. For example his footwork in the post needs improvement. If he could develop a jumper, I’d say a post or mid range type jumper but that’s a lost art in today’s game. There were a few examples during the Kent state game where he had the ball just below the free throw line wide open and looked to pass bc he was uncomfy. It happened in the 2nd half. If over the next two years he can grow and develop that he will be unstoppable in the MAC.

He’s a classic tweener for the next level and would really need to develop an outside shot to be a 3&D type player. 

I agree, if he wants to make it in the NBA he will need a jumper. Doesn't need to be great at it, but comfortable enough where teams have to respect it. 

That being said, he is big enough to play center for the Houston Rockets.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jeseph said:

I was going to like this. But like many of us we’ve apparently handed out too much appreciation to our fellow fans over the last day. Something to address, perhaps?

Edited by UB85