Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Kent St (2/21 - 7pm)

Jeseph

Oh, and one more thing that needs to be noted on this game. Savion Gallion, big minutes in the first half when the game was in a rough spot. Came in, brought energy, hit a big 3 and a couple of free throws. Was the guy on the bench jumping around on every big play with a big smile, wrapping his arm around the guys coming off the floor on every time out. Big time necessary for any good team! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Anyone who seriously says that has been sleeping over the last 4 years. Jordan has played big on the biggest stages there is. He’s a leader and started on back to back Mac champs teams, I’ll ride w him all day. He was in a slump for a while which we saw, but when he’s going he’s a winner all day long!!

Absolutely.  Been phenomenal the last 2 games.  He was a turnover machine all through the MAC schedule and seems to be coming out of that slump

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Oh, and one more thing that needs to be noted on this game. Savion Gallion, big minutes in the first half when the game was in a rough spot. Came in, brought energy, hit a big 3 and a couple of free throws. Was the guy on the bench jumping around on every big play with a big smile, wrapping his arm around the guys coming off the floor on every time out. Big time necessary for any good team! 

I didn’t know what to think of him earlier this year but I think he’s a potential 1st teamer his jr and sr years

I was supposed to be at this game, but something suddenly came up and I could not go and had to tape it.  

I added the extra 30 minutes just to be sure.   That got me to the end of the first OT.  It sucked not getting to watch that second OT and having to check the score to see if we won.  At least we won, though.  

Segu is off, but Graves did Graves things in that second half and beyond.   The team could have folded and there were a few times when it looked like it would get away, but we were able to stop the bleeding and then made it a dogfight.   

Jim with some Reggie-era end-of-game management there.   Maybe design a play instead of iso Graves??  They prevented the drive and that was it.   He need to use his time out there.    It is going to cost us in an important time later on.

I am glad I was around to see Jordan’s FT streak.   

The bottom line is that this team is often more talented than the other teams we play, but our execution and in-game decisions tend to level the playing field.  That latter point helps explain some of our FG shooting challenges.    

At this point in the season, a win is a win.  On to the next one.  

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

He also plays a mean air guitar while on the bench. 

For everyone shitting on Whitesell for not taking a timeout at the end of regulation...... Oats never would’ve called one there, he always trusted the players to make the right choice. This team isn’t quite there yet, but let’s not act like it was some egregious mistake. It’s standard UB basketball 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Anyone who seriously says that has been sleeping over the last 4 years. Jordan has played big on the biggest stages there is. He’s a leader and started on back to back Mac champs teams, I’ll ride w him all day. He was in a slump for a while which we saw, but when he’s going he’s a winner all day long!!

Totally agree. He’s got flaws, but he’s a guy who gets it done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UB05 said:

For everyone shitting on Whitesell for not taking a timeout at the end of regulation...... Oats never would’ve called one there, he always trusted the players to make the right choice. This team isn’t quite there yet, but let’s not act like it was some egregious mistake. It’s standard UB basketball 

Big difference:   Oats had CJ.    

9 minutes ago, UB05 said:

It’s not shitting on Whitesell. My general philosophy is play it out unless there’s clear dysfunction. And on that possession there was clear dysfunction. There was no play or plan of attack and therefore the responsible thing to do was call a timeout. Which shows me to this point we don’t have a go to play in that situation. Something we should practice so that in the future, to your point, we don’t have to call a timeout. It’s not about lack of trust. There’s no shame in calling a timeout. You got them, use them. Especially when the team is showing nothing. That’s all. 

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It’s not shitting on Whitesell. My general philosophy is play it out unless there’s clear dysfunction. And on that possession there was clear dysfunction. There was no play or plan of attack and therefore the responsible thing to do was call a timeout. Which shows me to this point we don’t have a go to play in that situation. Something we should practice so that in the future, to your point, we don’t have to call a timeout. It’s not about lack of trust. There’s no shame in calling a timeout. You got them, use them. Especially when the team is showing nothing. That’s all. 

I agree with all you've said, but do you really think that they don't practice end of game situations? These guys eat, drink and crap basketball. They're in the video room, floor, or weight room a good number of hours daily when they're at home, and surely are discussing it during plenty of time while on the road. 

That being said, today, both chances ended up very ugly. I wish we would've just run our motion weave offense a couple of cycles and when we got the mismatch then drove and finished, kicked back out, or to an open man inside. Lining up Graves (who played amazingly over the final 30 minutes) 35 feet from the basket and going 1-on-1 (which turned into 1-on-2) didn't work today or a few games ago at home. He's much better 1-on-1 when get can get a running start from a pass after some motion.

Regardless, the win is all that matters. I couldn't care less how we get there, whether it was today, last week, or last year (when everyone was just clamoring for 10+ point wins for the NET rating). Just win! This team just needs to win enough to get the top 4, then win 3 in Cleveland and let the chips fall where they may after that!

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I agree with all you've said, but do you really think that they don't practice end of game situations? These guys eat, drink and crap basketball. They're in the video room, floor, or weight room a good number of hours daily when they're at home, and surely are discussing it during plenty of time while on the road. 

That being said, today, both chances ended up very ugly. I wish we would've just run our motion weave offense a couple of cycles and when we got the mismatch then drove and finished, kicked back out, or to an open man inside. Lining up Graves (who played amazingly over the final 30 minutes) 35 feet from the basket and going 1-on-1 (which turned into 1-on-2) didn't work today or a few games ago at home. He's much better 1-on-1 when get can get a running start from a pass after some motion.

Regardless, the win is all that matters. I couldn't care less how we get there, whether it was today, last week, or last year (when everyone was just clamoring for 10+ point wins for the NET rating). Just win! This team just needs to win enough to get the top 4, then win 3 in Cleveland and let the chips fall where they may after that!

Obviously no I’m not implying or saying they don’t practice end of game situations. Obviously they do. Although you wouldn’t have been able to tell based on both possessions lol. That said, I 100% agree with you that we should’ve run a normal offensive set. As you said. 

HOLY SHEET!! I watched the first 16;30 of the game on the deuce. Left to watch a local college hoops game that went to OT. Got home about 10:40 and turned the dvr on. Had no idea what happened in game after I stopped watching. I even extended the DVR recording for 30 minutes. It got me through OT and Jayvon’s basket in the first few seconds of the second OT before the recording ended. So I had to check the score online only to find out we won by 6 in double OT. HUGE WIN!!!!

Most salient observation is that coach has go back to or find a new drawing board for end of the game plays. He’s 0-3 now and didn’t get a shot on two of those occasions and a prayer at the buzzer tonight.  No excuses there. Gotta be better. 

Edited by UB85

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I like him. He needs to play more regularly. Also think he will be an excellent outside shooter. 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. I'm happy with what I saw tonight. One game at a time.

I’m happy with what I’ve seen from him in each game. It’s likely imo that he’ll end up being a mort important piece than rondo. 

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I’m sure they practice it. But whatever they do has flat out failed. Graves sitting at half court pounding the ball until the 8 second mark just is poor play calling. You’ve got to go with no less than 12 seconds on the clock to deal with contingencies such as tonight where he was double teamed and consequently stopped the dribble thereby wasting valuable time before tossing it to Williams for a split second prayer. 

2 hours ago, UB05 said:

No problem not calling a time out, but to have a play where you have a player pounding the ball at half court until 8 seconds left( actually think it was more like 7.4) is coaching malpractice.