Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Kent St (2/21 - 7pm)

Jeseph

10 hours ago, UB85 said:

No problem not calling a time out, but to have a play where you have a player pounding the ball at half court until 8 seconds left( actually think it was more like 7.4) is coaching malpractice. 

For all of us that have watched basketball in our lifetimes it must be in the coaching handbook to wait until the last few seconds and then try to run a play. We have seen this so many times and it really never changes. Why coaches don’t try and run some kind of offensive play with ball and player movement and try and get a shot off with more options I will never understand. Coaches must look at film of last minute shots and see how little chance they have at getting off good shots.That would be the biggest question I would ask any coach and like to hear their response. Overall just a great win where we finally shoot over 45% on both field goals and 3 point shots and over 76% on free throws and more rebounds. I do not want to think where we would be without Mballa on the rebounding side. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UB85 said:

No problem not calling a time out, but to have a play where you have a player pounding the ball at half court until 8 seconds left( actually think it was more like 7.4) is coaching malpractice. 

Can assure you the time they started the play is directly based off how the play they were going to run was designed. It’s a situational thing, there isn’t a set time for when a last possession play should start 

Edit- especially with how well Kent was shooting all night, last thing they want to do is score too quick and leave any time on the clock 

Edited by 961819

56 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Can assure you the time they started the play is directly based off how the play they were going to run was designed. It’s a situational thing, there isn’t a set time for when a last possession play should start 

Edit- especially with how well Kent was shooting all night, last thing they want to do is score too quick and leave any time on the clock 

To allow it to happen is just poor preparation. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail! It would be different if we had a player who was so far superior to everyone on the floor that you could guarantee a good shot. We are not that lucky. You must start the play whatever it is with more than 7-8 seconds in the clock especially when that play darts near half court. 

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

To allow it to happen is just poor preparation. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail! It would be different if we had a player who was so far superior to everyone on the floor that you could guarantee a good shot. We are not that lucky. You must start the play whatever it is with more than 7-8 seconds in the clock especially when that play darts near half court. 

Agree. I hate waiting until 6 seconds left to make a move bc then all you have is iso ball. I also agree that we don’t wanna go too soon and give them the last shot. But with our rebounding abilities we should go at around 10 seconds and if we miss have a chance for the o-board. 

We failed when no timeout was called and failed when one was called. So obviously it’s something that needs more prep and practice.  There were a few things at the end of regulation and OT that were mistakes that when can grow and learn from. Example: Jeenathan’s inbound mental lapse. It’s all about learning and gaining that experience to grow. As I’ve said in other post...we’ve won and lost games in all types of fashions. All of which make us battle tested and mentally ready. Last nights had a MAC tournament vibe to it. It was a big win.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree. I hate waiting until 6 seconds left to make a move bc then all you have is iso ball. I also agree that we don’t wanna go too soon and give them the last shot. But with our rebounding abilities we should go at around 10 seconds and if we miss have a chance for the o-board. 

We failed when no timeout was called and failed when one was called. So obviously it’s something that needs more prep and practice.  There were a few things at the end of regulation and OT that were mistakes that when can grow and learn from. Example: Jeenathan’s inbound mental lapse. It’s all about learning and gaining that experience to grow. As I’ve said in other post...we’ve won and lost games in all types of fashions. All of which make us battle tested and mentally ready. Last nights had a MAC tournament vibe to it. It was a big win.

It can work. Just have to have the right player and play. BG just beat Ohio with a Justin Turner basket with 2.2 to go. Turner got a screen, a switch, rest of teammates were on baseline (eg plenty of room to go one on one.) and after making the big guy look silly made the basket. And he didn’t go at it until 6.9 seconds left. Boals blew it from the Ohio bench. Absolutely no bobkitten even moved to help. 

And to rub salt in the wounds Ohio missed the front end of a one and one with 17 seconds left. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UB85 said:

It can work. Just have to have the right player and play. BG just beat Ohio with a Justin Turner basket with 2.2 to go. Turner got a screen, a switch, rest of teammates were on baseline (eg plenty of room to go one on one.) and after making the big guy look silly made the basket. And he didn’t go at it until 6.9 seconds left. Boals blew it from the Ohio bench. Absolutely no bobkitten even moved to help. 

And to rub salt in the wounds Ohio missed the front end of a one and one with 17 seconds left.

I was watching. Posted about it in the other thread. We don’t have that kind of player. Graves doesn’t create separation like Turner does.   As you saw they didn’t wait until 5 seconds to go when it’s due or die on the high screen and the defense can jump the screen and blow up the whole play.

2 hours ago, UB85 said:

It’s like you didn’t read what I said though...they TIME their plays, they have a feel for how long the play takes and at the end of a game when it’s tied and you’re holding for the last shot, you want to make sure time expires while the ball is in the air. Executing earlier into the clock would’ve left time on the clock for Kent to do something with. 

Edited by 961819

Just now, 961819 said:

It’s like you didn’t read what I said though...they TIME their plays, they have a feel for how fast the play takes and at the end of a game when it’s tied and you’re holding for the last shot, you want to make sure time expires while the ball is in the air. Executing earlier into the clock would’ve left time on the clock for Kent to do something with. 

I think what he and I are saying is that rather than going with 6 seconds left you go at 8-10 seconds. To allow yourself a tick or two to put home an o-board. And if we miss the ball is in play and it would take a miracle with a second or two to lose (a 3/4 court heave). He isn’t saying go with 15 seconds left. Just simple saying, as you said, time it so that you go with enough time to put home an o-board and leave less than 3 seconds left if the initial shot is made or have the o-board be the last shot. Best of all worlds. 

10 minutes ago, 961819 said:

It’s like you didn’t read what I said though...they TIME their plays, they have a feel for how long the play takes and at the end of a game when it’s tied and you’re holding for the last shot, you want to make sure time expires while the ball is in the air. Executing earlier into the clock would’ve left time on the clock for Kent to do something with. 

I read it. Just disagree with it. 

9 hours ago, 961819 said:

Lol sounds good coach 

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I respect your view, but as the play ran Friday and I’ve seen run countless times before showed not starting the play at 10 seconds or more, unless you have someone who can create his shot at will and we don’t have that, is doomed to failure. And your approach imo is playing not to lose. I much prefer to have a positive mental outlook and believe that my guys are better than yours and seize the moment. 

Edited by UB85

16 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I was watching. Posted about it in the other thread. We don’t have that kind of player. Graves doesn’t create separation like Turner does.   As you saw they didn’t wait until 5 seconds to go when it’s due or die on the high screen and the defense can jump the screen and blow up the whole play.

Agree that Turner is a player that can create separation and make some crazy moves. Still I do not understand that with a last shot that a team can not start to run a play with player along with ball movement to try and gain some separation and at least have some options to kick the ball to another player. Everyone just standing around along with the defensive team waiting to start moving with under 10 seconds to go in most instances you do not even get off a decent shot. If all these coaches look at all the film what do they see that the fans don’t see. They should have more stats on last second shots.Should be an exciting finish to the year. Go Bulls!!!

• Jeseph unpinned this topic