Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB women/BG

John

Glad to see a victory after six losses. The team just gutted out a win against a weak BG. Happy to see Dickson finally getting some playing time and hope to see some improvement if her playing time increases. Hanna Hall is a real trouper but she has not improved her point guard play and has been no offensive threat and has not been able to take the pressure off of Onwuka or Fair. As Onwuka and Fair go so go the Bulls. I still think the key is for Walters and Adeyeye to continue to improve and get more playing time as they are our best front line players. If they can make more shots around the rim it should help out Onwuka and Fair. Go Bulls!!!!

2 minutes ago, rma said:

That would have been a bad game to drop.  Glad they could pull out the W.  A home game is still a possibility.

A home game would be great. They need to beat Akron for sure and one or two more. They've shown that they can play great. Hopefully they reload for the final stretch.

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

They've shown that they can play great.

Problem is the last game that I think they played well in was the CMU game close to a month ago.  I was thinking that this year would go in the opposite direction.  Blow OOC, dominate MAC play.  😞

17 minutes ago, rma said:

Problem is the last game that I think they played well in was the CMU game close to a month ago.  I was thinking that this year would go in the opposite direction.  Blow OOC, dominate MAC play.  😞

That CMU game was very fun. Damn 3/4 court shot made by CMU to end the 3rd turned out to be the difference!

Just get to the 8 seed. I'm sure we all remember 2016 when a young team struggled through most of conference play, won 4 of their last 5 in the regular season and won it all in Cleveland, including beating Ohio in the qf's whom no other MAC team could beat that year.

Not saying I am expecting anything quite like that to happen this season but a home game in the first round is much needed and then I'll take my chances against CMU in the quarters. I'm sure CMU would rather face a number of other teams in their first tourney game other than Coach Jack.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TML1000 said:

I'm sure CMU would rather face a number of other teams in their first tourney game other than Coach Jack.

They almost lost their first game last year if not for the magic of Presley Hudson. Throw a shot up at the buzzer and know it goes in before it even gets close to the basket. I am so glad we don’t have to face her any more.

2 hours ago, rma said:

They almost lost their first game last year if not for the magic of Presley Hudson. Throw a shot up at the buzzer and know it goes in before it even gets close to the basket. I am so glad we don’t have to face her any more.

We don’t have near the team we had the last 4/5 years with no true go to player that has excelled. Fair looks like she could be that player both her overall size could be her downfall. I really can’t see any team defeating CM this year with Ohio being the only team with some good players with experience. With CMU’s size and experience with Kelly and Bussell downlow along with their very good freshman Molly Davis who killed us in our game at UB along with their other returning players unless someone gets hot at the right time CMU should win. Remember last year Hanna Hall had great shooting games against both CMU and Ohio and really was one of the main reasons we won. Unfortunately Hall has not come close to playing at that level which is one of the reasons for our record. A lot of CMU’s games have been decided in the 4th quarters where we have not been able to close out games that resulted in losses. As Coach Jack said that this is a new experience for this coaching staff and the results have been humbling for us fans also. Go Bulls!!!!

5 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

As I have said in the past,, there is no such thing as a MAC official.  They officiate all over the county in multiple conferences.

I would love to be an official in today’s game and be terrible and still have a job. Do these officials ever have to watch a game they officiate and be held accountable for their inconsistency?? You should of seen some of the terrible calls in the Michigan State/Iowa game!!!!!  The one person is have seen call out officials during a game is Bill Walton who is kkkkpretty off the wall in is own right. Looking forward to a great atmosphere on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!!

20 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

As I have said in the past,, there is no such thing as a MAC official.  They officiate all over the county in multiple conferences.

They seem to have a go to pool of officials especially on the women’s side. It might be geographic, but I’ve seen a certain (possibly blind) official at UB games too many times for it to be coincidence. 

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Let me guess.  Does she share a moniker with a certain Coach?

How did you guess?!?!

To be fair, it’s easier to single out and know officials names on the women’s side since there are still very few of any female officials for MBB.

To also be fair, she’s terrible. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of the officials are very sub-par. Look at Nate's game from the other day. The opposing coach got T'ed. A little later, Nate got T'ed. Moments later, an opposing player got T'ed and then the opposing coach got a 2nd T and tossed. If the refs were calling a strong game, that wouldn't happen, and that's in the SEC. I personally feel that they are very over-worked and don't perform at their best always.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBull said:

The refs will try to work as many games as possible.  They will try to do five or six games a week.  Depending on geography some will two games on a Saturday.  There is no reason why a ref could not do a noon game in Buffalo and a 7:00 game in Syracuse on a Saturday.

Yep. That's part of the reason why many calls are often very bad. $$ grabs, and a big one at that!

20 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Let me guess.  Does she share a moniker with a certain Coach?

Umm, yeah. She is the worst. But even worse is when one of the other two officials in the same game is nearly as bad. 

There's no such thing as "conference" on-court officials. Basketball officials are independent contractors (same as the rugby referee society I'm a member of). You'll see some referees like hometown boy Kevin Ferguson do MAC, MAAC, A10 (mostly) games. Some officials do 2-3 games per week, others less frequently. I'm unsure what refs make for MAC games, but Power 5 conferences can pay refs in the thousands of dollars per game; those refs are generally, but not necessarily, more skilled than the refs we get for our Mid-major games. One big problem I see is that our refs seem to think they need to call something/anything - especially where the players Speed, Quickness, Balance or Rhythm (i.e., incidental contact) has not been changed - in order to be considered a "good ref". That's simply wrong.

Edited by ubfan75
typo