Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo Ranked #25 In the AP Polls

17 years ago or whenever exactly it was when I saw my first UB basketball game I never would have thought we would be a ranked team. Now no matter what happens ever again, it's real. So awesome.

The 3 Mac titles in short span, winning a first round game in the tournament... Those were all dreams for so many years. But now being ranked... One of my last dreams on a UB bucket list was always to have an NBA player, even just a decent one, drafted in the modern era...

This is a real testament to Nate Oats and all the hard work he has done and under some terrible circumstances. Remember, Hurley leaves, players leave, Moss gets thrown out of school and worst of all Crystal is diagnosed with life threatening cancer. Despite all that he goes to NCAA that year and 3 out of four. He recruits good people who work hard, are unselfish team players and represent the university with aplomb. I hope there is a huge crowd at the next game and we give them a standing ovation to start the game.

On a different note, I wonder if Hurley wants to move up the college ladder and return to UB should Nate get pilfered by a larger school.

4 hours ago, ATL_92 said:

Wow!! I remember how "exciting" it was in 2005-2006 (Calvin Cage senior year) when we received one Top 25 vote. (Does anyone else remember).  Thought this day would never come.    

Calvin Cage and BJ Walker were in my freshmen year English class.  I remember BJ Walker was pretty damn good, but ended up transferring to Nebraska?  That team could have been even better.

Basketball team was 5-23 (2-16 MAC) my freshman year, Football team was 1-11 (0-8 MAC).  Amazing how far they have come.

I am surprised this board isn't more active with all the recent success of football and basketball team.  I feel like it used to be more active back in those days.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh said:

Calvin Cage and BJ Walker were in my freshmen year English class.  I remember BJ Walker was pretty damn good, but ended up transferring to Nebraska?  That team could have been even better.

Basketball team was 5-23 (2-16 MAC) my freshman year, Football team was 1-11 (0-8 MAC).  Amazing how far they have come.

I am surprised this board isn't more active with all the recent success of football and basketball team.  I feel like it used to be more active back in those days.

I remember the days of the football team losing to Colgate and Shaggy and Tony Hawk being the halftime show. 

Also remember the first sea of blue against Kent State. I attribute that game as being the beginning of this long journey. That set the foundation. Shoutout to all the mighty maniacs. 

And yea I agree I feel the boards were more active back then. But hey let’s get it rolling now. 

1 hour ago, Pharaoh said:

Given social media, reddit, Bull Run, etc it's much easier to discuss Bulls on other platforms.  Not a knock to admin or anybody else, it just seems like across the board message boards are getting less popular.

I graduated a few years ago and I'm probably one of the youngest members on here.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I remember the days of the football team losing to Colgate and Shaggy and Tony Hawk being the halftime show. 

Also remember the first sea of blue against Kent State. I attribute that game as being the beginning of this long journey. That set the foundation. Shoutout to all the mighty maniacs. 

And yea I agree I feel the boards were more active back then. But hey let’s get it rolling now. 

I remember my Sophomore year we beat someone in Football. It was our first MAC win I believe in a couple of years, and we all rushed the field, (all 25 of us).  There were more football players than fans jumping around.  Lol.  Good times...

I Remember UB Football being #1 on ESPN Bottom ten for a few years running. And losing to Colgate.  Also Screech came my freshmen year, and he was a dick to me when I tried to get a picture with him.  I've disliked him since.

2 hours ago, rma said:

Given social media, reddit, Bull Run, etc it's much easier to discuss Bulls on other platforms.  Not a knock to admin or anybody else, it just seems like across the board message boards are getting less popular.

I graduated a few years ago and I'm probably one of the youngest members on here.

This is very true.

We used to have a good thing going here.  Active enough we had live chats going during some games.  Actually had some pickup UBFan basketball games over at sweethome basketball court.  xxDerek knows about that he used to join.

6 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

17 years ago or whenever exactly it was when I saw my first UB basketball game I never would have thought we would be a ranked team. Now no matter what happens ever again, it's real. So awesome.

The 3 Mac titles in short span, winning a first round game in the tournament... Those were all dreams for so many years. But now being ranked... One of my last dreams on a UB bucket list was always to have an NBA player, even just a decent one, drafted in the modern era...

Hell I remember being so excited that they even made the damn NIT that Turner Battle/Bortz/Idbihi year that you and I drove to St. Joes in Philly to see them play.  Seeing both the football team (who should be ranked) do so well along with both basketball teams is just mindblowing.  I did not think UB could do this without joining a power conference which I still am skeptical of ever happening.  The next fight is trying to get the WNY sports community to care, which by and large...they do not.

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh said:

This is very true.

We used to have a good thing going here.  Active enough we had live chats going during some games.  Actually had some pickup UBFan basketball games over at sweethome basketball court.  xxDerek knows about that he used to join.

Live chats happen for every football and MBB game at BullRun.  Heck...there was a thread for the first WBB game.

Normally there are hundreds of comments.  There was 100+ for today's game.

Been a while for posting.. but I have been keeping up by reading the board a decent amount the last few years. 

Nonetheless, I remember the days where we would almost beat good teams like Pitt but always fall short. I am quite proud to say the least. Love when all my friends ask me about the team!!! 

Edited by UBminicre

1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

Been a while for posting.. but I have been keeping up by reading the board a decent amount the last few years. 

Nonetheless, I remember the days where we would almost beat good teams like Pitt but always fall short. I am quite proud to say the least. Love when all my friends ask me about the team!!! 

I remember when Pitt used to be considered a good team!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UB92 said:

Live chats happen for every football and MBB game at BullRun.  Heck...there was a thread for the first WBB game.

Normally there are hundreds of comments.  There was 100+ for today's game.

I saw that comments thing.   That is not what i would describe as a chat, but it is cool nonetheless.  I wasn't saying something didn't exist anyway, just that this place used to be more active.

My 1st experience was my sophomore year when they got hot 2nd half of the season and had the 1st over .500 record in years. The next year was the heartbreak vs Ohio in the mac finals and I remember the bus ride back. I think the following year they received votes but faded away as the season progressed. To see where they have gone since then is mindblowing

3 hours ago, Pharaoh said:

This is very true.

Yup good times!

5 hours ago, rma said:

this is basically what has happened. Social media is so much more spread out now. Message boards in general for anything aren't the catch all anymore like they used to be. It only happened about 2 years ago. Before that this place was insane with activity. All that matters is people are talking about it somewhere!

Either way we will always have our small core here since 2003 (and for those of us that started in like 2000 on the ESPN boards before Kyu made this)