Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo Ranked #25 In the AP Polls

3 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

Hell I remember being so excited that they even made the damn NIT that Turner Battle/Bortz/Idbihi year that you and I drove to St. Joes in Philly to see them play.  Seeing both the football team (who should be ranked) do so well along with both basketball teams is just mindblowing.  I did not think UB could do this without joining a power conference which I still am skeptical of ever happening.  The next fight is trying to get the WNY sports community to care, which by and large...they do not.

Yup that was great. My mom always brings up to this day how after that game I put her on the phone with Yassin (still her all time fave bull)

7 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Yup that was great. My mom always brings up to this day how after that game I put her on the phone with Yassin (still her all time fave bull)

Having watched about 30 years of UB basketball, it is useful to think back through the years and see the talent level improve during that time.  Each improvement (with appropriate milestones) create the foundation for the next milestone.  What's next for UB is to continue to win OOC and continue to be ranked.  Earn an at-large bid (gravy is winning the MAC tournament).

Idbihi was a guy who, you could see, was very talented and a player UB wasn't getting a few years prior.  You think through the years and you can call out those guys.  Certainly Battle is a prime example, but there are others before and after Battle.

Right now, the big improvement for UB is the depth on the roster.  Guys 7, 8 and 9 (and 10) are not eating minutes to give guys a rest and aren't just hustle/effort players.  They are talented in their own right and create an advantage for our team as the game progresses.  In the past, that was not the case for UB.

I can remember a game (I am sure many fans can remember there own game) that UB played OOC about 10 years or so ago.  It was against Purdue and we had a pretty good team.  I can't recall all of the guys, but we had Pierce, Betts and Smiley...maybe even a young sWatt.  It was a good team, but the depth wasn't good.   Also, the game was on TV and I was excited to watch it.

We were blown off the court and were down a lot at halftime.  We weren't even playing the same game as Purdue.  Now, I think Purdue was highly ranked, but I never really had a thought that we had athletes that could compete with them (starters or reserves).

I do now.  Our starters are more talented now.  Our reserves are more talented now.   Yet we had to go through that to get here.  And, of course, the guys now are building the foundation for the future.

Go Bulls.

I'm really glad we have a 9 day rest before our next game. That was a tough road trip but it's also plenty of time for the coaches to instill the right mentality in this team. We're going to have high expectations every time we take the floor - this is uncharted territory. We are likely the favorite in all but 2 remaining games.

This question is, how do we respond to this?

It's a fun time to be a Bulls fan!

Congrats to the team and what is happening across the board in not only basketball but football and some of the other sports like tennis the momentum really seems to be building. We are a family that has promoted not only UB but has enjoyed the local college scene for many, many years. Until the last five years or so our family has not been active on social media but we are now. Their is no other scene like the college venue as we have attended games at St. Bona, Canisius and Niagara and now as season ticket holders at UB know when our team is competitive and good and the house is packed it is just a great atmosphere. Along with my brother and I  we now have my other family menbers along with my children who graduated from UB following and attending games. We started out as two strong going to Cleveland and are now at 6 to 8 strong and counting. We remember the college sports scene in the days of the old Aud and the buzz of college basketball. Although the culture has drastically changed we see a buildup of interest and excitement. Let’s keep it going and support all our teams. Hope to be at Ford Field and Cleveland for the MAC championships. Hope to see many more fans at Wed’s women’s game and raiseing the banner.Go Bulls!!!!!!

On 11/12/2018 at 7:48 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

I remember the days of the football team losing to Colgate and Shaggy and Tony Hawk being the halftime show. 

Also remember the first sea of blue against Kent State. I attribute that game as being the beginning of this long journey. That set the foundation. Shoutout to all the mighty maniacs. 

And yea I agree I feel the boards were more active back then. But hey let’s get it rolling now. 

How far we've come.

One of the best parts about being Top 25 is definitely the exposure. Now we are on all the “Scores” sections on websites without having to filter for MAC, any article summarizing the previous night’s games will mention us, and halftime shows on national broadcasts will mention us much more often. 

That’s a lot of free advertising for future recruiting and possibly will increase the local/national fanbase.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, UB85 said:

Great stuff!

I can remember almost killing myself climbing over the scorer's table/broadcasters seats. Probably 2 of my favorite moments from my time a UB. Also the bus rides going back and forth from Buffalo to Cleveland every day of the MAC tournament. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SGBull said:

One of the best parts about being Top 25 is definitely the exposure. Now we are on all the “Scores” sections on websites without having to filter for MAC, any article summarizing the previous night’s games will mention us, and halftime shows on national broadcasts will mention us much more often. 

That’s a lot of free advertising for future recruiting and possibly will increase the local/national fanbase.

This has been one of the best things for me to watch. I absolutely love seeing our name across the top bar on ESPN next to Top 25. I was in school during the Ibihi/Cage/Battle days and remember how sweet it felt just to be in the MAC Championship. Taking those trips to Cleveland were some of the best times of my college life. Even today, I listen/watch every Bulls game I can. I'm so happy and so proud to see this team doing so well!

GO BULLS!!

15 hours ago, UB85 said:

Great stuff!

Wow.

Both of these were one season before I got there. 

A) we stormed to just go to Cleveland?

B) Kenny Albert called this game? lol

C) We've won 3 out of 4 championships, a tourney win, and are now RANKED. Can we get this type of support again? 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

That game was the last game of the wooden bleachers. They were swaying back and forth the entire time, since they were filled to capacity. The arena was able to seat more than the current number. It was a crazy and fun game to attend! Idbihi went off for a career high, it was great. We were on our way to Cleveland, just to get beat in the next round. UB sent many bus loads of students/fans to the game, probably having more support than the local Ohio opponent!

58 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

That game was the last game of the wooden bleachers. They were swaying back and forth the entire time, since they were filled to capacity. The arena was able to seat more than the current number. It was a crazy and fun game to attend! Idbihi went off for a career high, it was great. We were on our way to Cleveland, just to get beat in the next round. UB sent many bus loads of students/fans to the game, probably having more support than the local Ohio opponent!

I know my friends and I snuck probably an additional 10 people into the arena after it was at capacity. Those bleachers were definitely swaying and definitely no space to even sit. 

17 hours ago, SGBull said:

It's football rather than basketball, but for the last week, every CFB Playoff Selection Teaser commercial on ESPN flashes Buffalo as the brackets rotate through contender teams. Obviously we have no path to the football playoff, but it is another example of our profile growing in the national spotlight