Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB women MAC standings

John

Very quietly the women have won three in a row after six losses and are now tied for 7th place with a chance to finish in the top eight and a possible Monday home play in game. Their last two games against Akron and Kent State will determine their fate. Two of their wins have seen way better shooting games from both Fair and Onwuka and beating a very good Ohio team who has lost three in a row with some very poor shooting games. It appears Coach Jack has decided on some player rotations that have paid off. Losing minutes were all the freshmen players Gaba, Schiffer and Christie with more minutes for Hamilton, Walters, Adeyeye and finally Dickson. Hope to see some improvement from these players and hope to see a good crowd for our home game against Kent State on Saturday at 2PM to say goodbye to Onwuka. Is it possible to get more than a handful of students?? Time will tell if true blue students and the administration can get more students to show up. Our family and some of our friends will be there to support this team. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

Is it possible to get more than a handful of students?? Time will tell if true blue students and the administration can get more students to show up. Our family and some of our friends will be there to support this team. Go Bulls!!!!

Don't bet on it.

I noticed that rotation being more streamlined recently as well, with Coach Jack seemingly going with the veterans (plus Fair). It has worked well thus far. Hopefully it will continue to do so. On this team, sophomores are veterans! 

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Don't bet on it.

I noticed that rotation being more streamlined recently as well, with Coach Jack seemingly going with the veterans (plus Fair). It has worked well thus far. Hopefully it will continue to do so. On this team, sophomores are veterans! 

So I guess that on I should not put any money on the over/under count!!! Still very frustrating of the student culture of supporting athletic teams. How about someone in Alnutt’s administration or how about every professor talking it up at every class??? I guess that is just a pipe dream!! Go Bulls!!!!

1 minute ago, John said:

So I guess that on I should not put any money on the over/under count!!! Still very frustrating of the student culture of supporting athletic teams. How about someone in Alnutt’s administration or how about every professor talking it up at every class??? I guess that is just a pipe dream!! Go Bulls!!!!

I'm hoping they show up for the men's game tonight also! The number seemed much less last men's game with no t-shirt giveaway.

28 minutes ago, John said:

I don't want this post to come off as sexist, but a lot of students don't care about mid-major women's basketball, the same way they don't really care about men's and women's tennis, wrestling, swimming and Diving, and volleyball.

Let's be happy with the fans that show up.  They are actually far more passionate then the men's crowds despite being a fourth of the size and sometimes they are actually much louder.

Points from a few of the posts above.

A good number of professors would rather there were no sports, so getting them to talk the game up is a futile effort.

The students showed up pretty well last night.  I'm sure the Tee Shirts had something to do with it.  I was really disappointed when they honored the Seniors from the Spirit teams.  There was ONE senior for True Blue.  

The student section does make more noise than the entire rest of the crowd.  I'm thinking that's easily done.  I've never seen a group of fans so passive as our basketball fans.  I can't figure it out.  There's an exciting game going on and they're sitting with their arms crossed in front of them.  I started stomping my feet when MoH was taking foul shots and the guy sitting down a ways in my row looked at me like I was keeping him awake.   

As far as the refs... well, they're refs, they're supposed to be terrible.  (just joking)

36 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Points from a few of the posts above.

A good number of professors would rather there were no sports, so getting them to talk the game up is a futile effort.

The students showed up pretty well last night.  I'm sure the Tee Shirts had something to do with it.  I was really disappointed when they honored the Seniors from the Spirit teams.  There was ONE senior for True Blue.  

The student section does make more noise than the entire rest of the crowd.  I'm thinking that's easily done.  I've never seen a group of fans so passive as our basketball fans.  I can't figure it out.  There's an exciting game going on and they're sitting with their arms crossed in front of them.  I started stomping my feet when MoH was taking foul shots and the guy sitting down a ways in my row looked at me like I was keeping him awake.   

As far as the refs... well, they're refs, they're supposed to be terrible.  (just joking)

The refs definitely lulled many to sleep last night. Way too many fouls slowed the game to a crawl.

We do have many passive fans. It's not a rowdy crowd. The part that gets me always is those who leave with a handful of minutes left with a game still in doubt. Why even bother to go if it's a 2 possession game and you leave with a few minutes left? To save 5 minutes? You've invested a few hours already, just stay til it's over! I'm sure I'll get yelled at due to a "bad traffic pattern" but you've invested 2.5 hours already (with drive time to the game + the game time), what's a few more minutes?

I hope that people show up to support the women on Saturday (and then hopefully again on Monday). Coach Jack and the players definitely deserve the support. Coach Jack is as passionate as they come and has had tremendous results with UB over the last few years.

Funny that you mention those that leave with a few minutes left.  We have friends that sit about a dozen rows behind you that leave early nearly every game.  Last night I looked up there with about a minute left and noticed they were still there.  We were pretty surprised.  

Huge game tonight...a win tonight and we secure at least the 8 seed(I'm pretty sure given that we would then have split with Akron and be guaranteed a better in-division record).

Also, a win tonight and a Toledo loss(they have lost 6 straight since beating UB and play Central tonight) should give us the 7 seed. I believe we could still get the 6 seed if we win both and Eastern loses both.

6 hours ago, skrabukes said:

The refs definitely lulled many to sleep last night. Way too many fouls slowed the game to a crawl.

We do have many passive fans. It's not a rowdy crowd. The part that gets me always is those who leave with a handful of minutes left with a game still in doubt. Why even bother to go if it's a 2 possession game and you leave with a few minutes left? To save 5 minutes? You've invested a few hours already, just stay til it's over! I'm sure I'll get yelled at due to a "bad traffic pattern" but you've invested 2.5 hours already (with drive time to the game + the game time), what's a few more minutes?

I hope that people show up to support the women on Saturday (and then hopefully again on Monday). Coach Jack and the players definitely deserve the support. Coach Jack is as passionate as they come and has had tremendous results with UB over the last few years.

Maybe I am naive or wrong but are not the professors employed by UB? Are they not suppose to promote the overall culture of the school for both academics and sports?? So much for school spirit to promote sports. Hope against hope to see more than a handful of students to support our women’s team on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!

17 hours ago, John said:

Maybe I am naive or wrong but are not the professors employed by UB? Are they not suppose to promote the overall culture of the school for both academics and sports?? So much for school spirit to promote sports. Hope against hope to see more than a handful of students to support our women’s team on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying all or even most professors feel this way.  It's just that there's a good number that feel sports are nothing more than a necessary evil.

11 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

ESUK5CMWoAE8fLa?format=jpg&name=small

The women are now 7th. If they beat Kent State and Central beats Eastern they would move to the 6th seed.

Wow!! Another good win on the road against Akron. What a turnaround!! It seemed like the season was a goner after their six game losing streak with the team looking lost both offensively and defensively with no continuity with player rotations. It does show the resolve of Coach Jack and the players. Coach Jack did make player starting and rotation changes that have paid off big time. The continued improvement of both Adeyeye and Walters has steadied the front court especially on the rebounding side and has taken some of the pressure off Fair and Onwuka. With a four game winning streak and a chance to beat Kent State on Saturday’s home game a real possibility. Again hope for a large and enthusiastic crowd at 2PM on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!

54 minutes ago, John said:

Wow!! Another good win on the road against Akron. What a turnaround!! It seemed like the season was a goner after their six game losing streak with the team looking lost both offensively and defensively with no continuity with player rotations. It does show the resolve of Coach Jack and the players. Coach Jack did make player starting and rotation changes that have paid off big time. The continued improvement of both Adeyeye and Walters has steadied the front court especially on the rebounding side and has taken some of the pressure off Fair and Onwuka. With a four game winning streak and a chance to beat Kent State on Saturday’s home game a real possibility. Again hope for a large and enthusiastic crowd at 2PM on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!

If there is one thing I have learned over the past 7 years, it is to not doubt Coach Jack. The 2nd half last night was some of the best ball the team has played all season. If they continue at that level, they can win the tourney.

1 hour ago, TML1000 said:

If there is one thing I have learned over the past 7 years, it is to not doubt Coach Jack. The 2nd half last night was some of the best ball the team has played all season. If they continue at that level, they can win the tourney.

Do agree. After their sixth loss Coach Jack did say that this is uncharted territory and something they have not experienced over the last four/five years. To her credit along with this coaching staff they made the necessary changes. I still think the loss of Summer was the biggest blow and with the incoming new recruits except for Fair not being ready to play with any consistency. Hope for a win and giving a big “thank you” to Onwuka on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!!

To me this season has been a success. Losing Dillard and Summer could’ve really set us back but we discovered we still had some good players returning and new blood coming in. They’ve recovered from the losing streak which shows me two things. 1) FLJ has a good message and can coach (that we already knew) and 2) her players are coachable and have bought in. This is a younger team so there were bound to be ups and downs. But the future looks bright. Especially bc we have identified our go to gal in Fair. Going forward if we develop her game and surround her with complementary players, we can have a nice 2 to 3 year window to really win the MAC and/or be in contention for an at large. One girl in women’s college basketball can really carry a team (Dillard) we have that in Fair. Now we have to build around her (find her a Robin) to really accelerate the rebuild. If Summer is back next year watch out.

In the short term a win on Saturday would be great. And if they can get to Cleveland then it’s house money.

I find a lot of the praise posts of Coach Jack to be funny as compared to the numerous negative posts regarding the men's side. While the positive posts regarding Coach Jack are absolutely warranted, so many people on here bash coach Whitesell after the men's team had a coaching overhaul, losing 5 seniors (4 of whom were All-MAC), losing the entire committed/signed incoming class, and "only" being 10-7/19-11. The women are 8-9/17-11 and I have not heard any negative comments towards Coach Jack (and there shouldn't be any). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1