Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#12 Miami @ #5 Buffalo (3/9 - 7pm)

Kevin

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree. I don’t see many guys transferring. Think to yourself if you transfer you usually want to move up in competition. None of our players are anything more than MAC caliber players at this point in their careers.

They’re great mid major players but I agree, I don’t think any would be able to transfer to a higher program unless it is just a better mid major. My biggest concern though is even with all the players, is coaching. I gave Whitesell the benefit of the doubt all year, but tonight makes me worried he can’t coach. Even with good players. 

I like us next year on paper as well. Been excited about skogman and still am. Just not sure about the other stuff such as what they will look like in game.

One of the problems is we didn't have the gamebreaking juco impact like we'd seem in past years. That's always a wild card going into a new season.

This year was just so weird. It's really hard to explain how they could beat so many top teams yet lose to the likes of eastern and Miami. How do you fix that

Just now, Ivantheturrible said:

They’re great mid major players but I agree, I don’t think any would be able to transfer to a higher program unless it is just a better mid major. My biggest concern though is even with all the players, is coaching. I gave Whitesell the benefit of the doubt all year, but tonight makes me worried he can’t coach. Even with good players. 

Agree. I don’t see Whitesell as the long term solution. I see him laying a full term contract. Nothing more.

I say they have to play in the Cbi or whatever trash post season tourney IF they get invited. They need the practice and should play as much as they can. Also, need to find a top notch recruiter in the offseason. Maybe someone from the AAU ranks. We need better players bottom line. 

2 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I like us next year on paper as well. Been excited about skogman and still am. Just not sure about the other stuff such as what they will look like in game.

One of the problems is we didn't have the gamebreaking juco impact like we'd seem in past years. That's always a wild card going into a new season.

This year was just so weird. It's really hard to explain how they could beat so many top teams yet lose to the likes of eastern and Miami. How do you fix that

You need to bring in a star caliber player that can finish games. That’s how you win these close games. We had none on this team offensively. You saw Graves try to take that role in numerous games this year and failed just too many times. He’s ideally best as a second or 3rd option. Hopefully we have that in one of the recruits, because as the team is constructed now, I see us as a middle of the pack Mac team without Jordan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sportscliche said:

Sure do appreciate how magical the 2017-2019 teams were.  Not sure we'll ever get back there again, but it was great to experience it.

We could have. 

But the department cheapened out, pocked the 1M and didn't take the advice of the search firm that they hired

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I say they have to play in the Cbi or whatever trash post season tourney IF they get invited. They need the practice and should play as much as they can. Also, need to find a top notch recruiter in the offseason. Maybe someone from the AAU ranks. We need better players bottom line. 

Usually they pass on those tournaments but I'd like them to accept just to possibly finish on a higher note/get some experience

• Like 1

Buffalo does have a good young nucleus. The Bulls are sorely going to miss Jordan, however. Buffalo definitely needs shooters. They need to shore up the defense too. Major disappointment this year in the contributions from Johnson and Grant. I don’t expect an improvement next year. That said, Whitesell will probably be gone after next year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ivantheturrible said:

I disagree, if we keep all our recruits and no one transfers out, I’d say on paper it’s the best team we’ve had. I like Williams development along with Segus and I’m high on the two freshman we have coming in. Plus Skogman. I’m excited about next years team, if everyone stays of course. 

So we‘ll be better than top 15 in the country next year?

21 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

The top teams? Harvard? St Bonaventure? DePaul? Akron...perhaps - a projected 13 seed, if they can hold serve. No...the Bulls beat some teams ranked higher than them, but they beat no top teams.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

He is trash I’m glad only 1 year of him. All this talk about how good he was in my mind a huge disappointment. He might have had like 3 good games all year. 

He isn’t trash. But he certainly proved to be overhyped from the pre season prognostication. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Buffalo does have a good young nucleus. The Bulls are sorely going to miss Jordan, however. Buffalo definitely needs shooters. They need to shore up the defense too. Major disappointment this year in the contributions from Johnson and Grant. I don’t expect an improvement next year. That said, Whitesell will probably be gone after next year.

I will say this. I’m not calling for Whitesell to be fired. I feel he will be given time to get us back to a tournament. However if he doesn’t improve as a coach I don’t see him lasting past a contract. If we regress to .500 and under then all is fair to terminate. But my fear is we will become a team that is always around a 4-6 range and can make a semis run and nothing more. I want to be a team that can consistently be top 4 and threaten ever year to win the MAC. Can  Whitesell be that coach?

I think the best way to describe tonight’s performance was the return of Reggie ball.  The great thing about the Oats’ years is that we beat the teams we should. We sustained some real head scratching losses including tonight. After having been the team defeating higher ranked teams the last several years tonight was a bitter loss. 

The pressure is really on for next year if we hope to reclaim a top spot in the MAC. 

• Like 1

I will be interested in to see who they hire to replace jenkins. Think it will be telling of where this program is headed.

With how cheap whitesell is signed on for, how shocking would it be to see him out? By all means it seemed like he was the back up option. (Not advocating for it; just discussion wise)

Alnutt seemed much more distant this year but that could be ub wasn't ranked all year

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

He isn’t trash. But he certainly proved to be overhyped from the pre season prognostication. 

Agreed not fair to call him trash that’s just me frustrated after he had another horrible game when we needed him to show up. But a big disappointment I think is fair. The numbers back me on this just look at his game to game stats throughout the year, he just didn’t have the impact we all expected coming into the year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Agreed not fair to call him trash that’s just me frustrated after he had another horrible game when we needed him to show up. But a big disappointment I think is fair. The numbers back me on this just look at his game to game stats throughout the year, he just didn’t have the impact we all expected coming into the year.

We got caught up with specific descriptions on this board. 

I was told how good of a shooter he was going to be by an assistant coach. 

he wasn’t this. They needed way more from him than they got and was one of a few main reasons they couldn’t even reach the top 8. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1