Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#12 Miami @ #5 Buffalo (3/9 - 7pm)

Kevin

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

So we‘ll be better than top 15 in the country next year?

Forgive me. I'm new to College Basketball but I don't see why not?

Look at Dayton. Last year they were like us. Had a 20 (21) win season and flamed out in the 1st round of the A10 Tournament. 

This year they're #3 in the entire Country.

San Diego State too. Another Mid Major team in the top 10 (and Gonzaga)

What do you think these schools have over UB, and why fans here think UB might never get back there?

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

We got caught up with specific descriptions on this board. 

I was told how good of a shooter he was going to be by an assistant coach. 

he wasn’t this. They needed way more from him than they got and was one of a few main reasons they couldn’t even teach the top 8. 

Rounded to the nearest percent: Johnson in 2018 from 2, 3, and foul line: 47%, 38%, 87%. Johnson in 2020 from same: 43%, 27%, 82%. To exacerbate the problem he took more shots this year in all categories. His free throw shooting was still great. Good luck in the next stage, Antwain.

43 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Game on the line and Williams has zero defensive intensity:

giphy.gif

On this particular play Williams was over aggressive in his close out and got caught flat footed allowing the offensive player to blow by him. He has to learn not to be so aggressive on a close out that far beyond the 3 point line. Close out but give him space and take away the dribble drive. If he pops a 3 it’s a bad shot and you just tip your cap if he makes it. The offensive player is super far away from the rim there. Can’t let him blow by you. And it was bc of an over aggressive close out. Something he has to learn moving forward.

Edited by DooleyBull06

4 minutes ago, bmb2jn said:

Forgive me. I'm new to College Basketball but I don't see why not?

Look at Dayton. Last year they were like us. Had a 20 (21) win season and flamed out in the 1st round of the A10 Tournament. 

This year they're #3 in the entire Country.

San Diego State too. Another Mid Major team in the top 10 (and Gonzaga)

What do you think these schools have over UB, and why fans here think UB might never get back there?

Dayton is a basketball school and has been for decades and decades before UB. The A10 and the MWC have been ranked among the top 10 conferences for the most part over the past 20 years. The MAC has been ranked in the top 10 twice in the past 24 years.  I’m not sure what their coaches earn, but it probably dwarfs what UB pays Whitesell. In the last game at Dayton over 13000 fans were in attendance, at San Diego St there were over 10000. You can not remotely put UB in the same class as those two programs at this point. And should UB remain in the MAC, it will never achieve the status of either as far as basketball is concerned. By the way, there were 3700+ fans at Alumni Arena tonight to cheer on the women’s and men’s teams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squire17 said:

Dayton is a basketball school and has been for decades and decades before UB. The A10 and the MWC have been ranked among the top 10 conferences for the most part over the past 20 years. The MAC has been ranked in the top 10 twice in the past 24 years.  I’m not sure what their coaches earn, but it probably dwarfs what UB pays Whitesell. In the last game at Dayton over 13000 fans were in attendance, at San Diego St there were over 10000. You can not remotely put UB in the same class as those two programs at this point. And should UB remain in the MAC, it will never achieve the status of either as far as basketball is concerned. By the way, there were 3700+ fans at Alumni Arena tonight to cheer on the women’s and men’s teams.

100% spot on. Further complicating the vision of Oats and White, and this gentleman’s why not question, is the failure, unwillingness, lack of vision, inability and/or can’t do attitude of UB its administration, athletics mentality and/or its boosters to step out and embrace the vision and change in attitude White brought to UB athletics and Oats seized upon and showed that it could be done. Glaring example is the total failure to build a first rate field house which has been a wish list item and a necessity for at least 20 years. To me it is inexplicable that it hasn’t already been done. UB athletics needs it. The student body needs it. 

41 minutes ago, UB85 said:

100% spot on. Further complicating the vision of Oats and White, and this gentleman’s why not question, is the failure, unwillingness, lack of vision, inability and/or can’t do attitude of UB its administration, athletics mentality and/or its boosters to step out and embrace the vision and change in attitude White brought to UB athletics and Oats seized upon and showed that it could be done. Glaring example is the total failure to build a first rate field house which has been a wish list item and a necessity for at least 20 years. To me it is inexplicable that it hasn’t already been done. UB athletics needs it. The student body needs it. 

Last I looked there is a brand new field house right next to the stadium.

If you want the other things for UB, then step up and make them happen: https://ubfoundation.buffalo.edu/giving/index.php?

22 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Last I looked there is a brand new field house right next to the stadium.

If you want the other things for UB, then step up and make them happen: https://ubfoundation.buffalo.edu/giving/index.php?

That does absolutely nothing for the student body and doesn’t take away any traffic away from AA which should be a 24/7 haven for hoops. It’s great for football. It was long viewed as a necessity. Glad it happened. Thank you Murch! But it doesn’t solve hoop related matters. 

Onto next season fellas. A lot of players this year who were just disappointments. We got a lot of talent next year. Graves is a senior, Mballa is a junior. Williams and Segu will be juniors and I expect them to develop. We will have Skogman and Gallion who will hopefully develop. And some good recruits coming in. 

These group of guys didn’t want it bad enough and that’s just the way it goes. Onto next year.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic

Just my opinion but this team lacked the intensity of the last few years.  That intensity seemed to come from coaching in the past but seemed lacking this year.  I am sure it was a learning season for the Coach too.  I just do not want to go back to being an also-ran program.

I just cannot get over the fact that for the first time since '03 the Men's team won't be in Cleveland.

Simply unacceptable way to end the season. Don't want to hear about ups and downs and mid-major parity. Miami lost 19 games and they're going because we handed them their first conference road win...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Onto next season fellas. A lot of players this year who were just disappointments. We got a lot of talent next year. Graves is a senior, Mballa is a junior. Williams and Segu will be juniors and I expect them to develop. We will have Skogman and Gallion who will hopefully develop. And some good recruits coming in. 

These group of guys didn’t want it bad enough and that’s just the way it goes. Onto next year.

Hopefully this ignites a fire in them. Sometimes you gotta lose before you can learn to win. A place in the MAC finals isn’t a birth right it’s earned. Hopefully the young core can take it to the next level moving forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Hopefully this ignites a fire in them. Sometimes you gotta lose before you can learn to win. A place in the MAC finals isn’t a birth right it’s earned. Hopefully the young core can take it to the next level moving forward.

Sure, but making Cleveland as the top 8 of 12 in the conference shouldn't be a level you fall down to as a learning experience.

Edited by Kevin

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Sure, but making Cleveland as the top 8 of 12 in the conference shouldn't be a level you fall down to as a learning experience.

I agree with both you and @Jeseph but this is very humbling and somewhat embarrassing. Perhaps it can be used as motivation. There’s no next game to look forward to. Someone else will be crowned MAC champs and be able to post that on social, while our guys sit and watch. Maybe that lights a fire.

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree with both you and @Jeseph but this is very humbling and somewhat embarrassing. Perhaps it can be used as motivation. There’s no next game to look forward to. Someone else will be crowned MAC champs and be able to post that on social, while our guys sit and watch. Maybe that lights a fire.

I would not totally write off the NIT, especially if Akron wins the MAC.  We are are a 20 win team that has some national recognition, especially after back to back round of 32 seasons.  Also ESPN seems love us as they put us on their regular networks a lot this season, and they televise the entire NIT.