Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Durey Cadwell

Jeseph

• 4 months later...
  • Jeseph locked this topic
  • Jeseph unlocked this topic
4 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Would be beautiful if he could somehow manage to snag Andre and James too.

Andre, yes. Sadly I think James is long gone. He was Hodgsons guy through and through, Jamestown guy, UB is still his best option but I’m not counting on it 

11 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Andre, yes. Sadly I think James is long gone. He was Hodgsons guy through and through, Jamestown guy, UB is still his best option but I’m not counting on it 

I'm not sure there's necessarily an open scholarship for him at Alabama so he still may come home.  Between the guys still on roster, or with an LOI, and Hawkins 11 of 13 scholarships are claimed.  Kira Lewis is in the transfer portal but Bama has been posting on social media as if he will be back which makes 12.  They're actively recruiting top recruit Trendon Watford as well so who knows where the 13th scholarship goes.

12 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I'm not sure there's necessarily an open scholarship for him at Alabama so he still may come home.  Between the guys still on roster, or with an LOI, and Hawkins 11 of 13 scholarships are claimed.  Kira Lewis is in the transfer portal but Bama has been posting on social media as if he will be back which makes 12.  They're actively recruiting top recruit Trendon Watford as well so who knows where the 13th scholarship goes.

I agree with you 100%, plus I don’t think Rojas is an SEC caliber player. Bama has offers out to several 4 star players

2 minutes ago, 961819 said:
10 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

He is not a verbal commit.  He signed a Letter of Intent last fall.

You really think UB is going to refuse these players their releases and make them play here against their will huh

I did not say anything about whether or not UB would give him a release.  All I said is that he signed a Letter of Intent, correcting a factual error in the statement, which has value..  A verbal commitment is not worth the paper it is is not written on.

Factual errors have to be pointed out.  The next thing you know people will believe that they are true.  This has happened in the past on this and another site.

21 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I did not say anything about whether or not UB would give him a release.  All I said is that he signed a Letter of Intent, correcting a factual error in the statement, which has value..  A verbal commitment is not worth the paper it is is not written on.

Factual errors have to be pointed out.  The next thing you know people will believe that they are true.  This has happened in the past on this and another site.

🙄

49 minutes ago, BenBulls said:

What's the point of signing a LOI if you can back out any time you like? There should be some sorf of discouraging factor before doing so. 

A student can back out of the Letter of Intent and go to another school if they wish.  However, unless they are given a release they cannot play their freshman year without a release.  Over the last 5 - 10 years there has been a lot of pressure on schools to grant releases in situations like this where the head coach who recruited a player is either fired or gets a new job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Since you want to play semantics (and pretend it's not just petty but, in fact, for the "greater good") - my statement is factually incomplete not factually incorrect.

Thank you for another thrilling and important discussion that has moved this thread forward in a productive manner.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 8.18.36 AM.png

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

A student can back out of the Letter of Intent and go to another school if they wish.  However, unless they are given a release they cannot play their freshman year without a release.  Over the last 5 - 10 years there has been a lot of pressure on schools to grant releases in situations like this where the head coach who recruited a player is either fired or gets a new job.

This is spot on analysis. Texas Tech forward Tariq Owens was originally an Ohio University signee under Jim Christian. Owens wanted out when Christian bolted for Boston College. The Bobcats didn't immediately release him and were given some grief as a result, ultimately letting him go shortly later.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

2 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is spot on analysis. Texas Tech forward Tariq Owens was originally an Ohio University signee under Jim Christian. Owens wanted out when Christian bolted for Boston College. The Bobcats didn't immediately release him and were given some grief as a result, ultimately letting him go shortly later.

I want nothing to do with holding kids back who want a release. It's unfortunate to lose a player but we want players that want to be here, not because we can force them to stay.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I want nothing to do with holding kids back who want a release. It's unfortunate to lose a player but we want players that want to be here, not because we can force them to stay.

I'm with you on that. The hope is that Whitesell can convince them to stay because they want to be part of the program, which certainly seems possible. 

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Exactly.

Also, all you are doing is making a kid take an RS at his school. 

Weird business to do that in order to lose potential new recruits who dont think you have their best interest at heart.

I'm fine if there is certain situations that dictate not granting a release, the coach bolting/fired, is not one of those cases.