Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Malik Zachery (G - 2020)

Jeseph

9 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Seems like we are digging into the JUCO ranks hard. He’s a 6’2 former 3 star point guard from Syracuse. I worry bringing in another point guard will be a turn off to Segu and Robinson. 

We need guards. Bad. Especially in the 1-2 spot. Johnson and Jordan are gone. Segu is still a bit of a question mark at times. We don't know about Gallion yet and how he'll progress to next season. We don't know if Chanse if going to be D-1 ready as a freshman. Really all we have for certain is Graves at guard. 

22 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Seems like we are digging into the JUCO ranks hard. He’s a 6’2 former 3 star point guard from Syracuse. I worry bringing in another point guard will be a turn off to Segu and Robinson. 

We play three guards at a time usually. Guys get plenty of opportunities and exposure both on and off the ball, especially with our top 10 pace. Doubtful to me that they'd worried about it!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

We play three guards at a time usually. Guys get plenty of opportunities and exposure both on and off the ball, especially with our top 10 pace. Doubtful to me that they'd worried about it!

Yup, I think Whitesell likes a forward/wing/guard/guard/guard. I mean, we did lead the nation in rebounds with that strategy lol. 

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I don’t disagree. However...Segu, Robinson and Zachery are all 6’2 and under. Lack of a lot of height there. We could use another guard sure but was hoping for a shooting guard with some height or a more seasoned PG like Wes Clark was.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Here is a write-ups from Cal.  It explains how an injury limited his minutes this past season.

https://bearinsider.com/s/2155/juco-malik-zachery-could-bring-pass-first-mentality-to-cal

Stats from Freshman year at Chipola

Zachery.JPG.6ffa105ff2de0a80d9fc67cb96dd4211.JPG

Here is a video, lot's of 'nice pass' commentary.

https://youtu.be/7fAdTYA1BzI

A lot of the film on him looks more like he is the point guard for his teams. Looks like a good ball handler with good court vision and passing ability. Looks like he can shoot th 3’s along with jumpers and good instincts on driving to the basket. Looks like Whitesell and staff are heating up as far as looking seriously at Zachery and some bigger Juco’s to help our front line. Go Bulls!!!

4 hours ago, Ivantheturrible said:

Do you consider that a sign that they're doing their due diligence looking for  a hidden gem, or that they're looking to just take whoever they think they can get?

I consider it due diligence.  Too many people think that looking at JuCo is looking at players that weren't D-1 caliber out of HS.  In reality, a large portion of JuCo players are D-1 caliber basketball talent that hadn't been making the cut in the classroom.  JuCo is their chance to get that in order.

45 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I consider it due diligence.  Too many people think that looking at JuCo is looking at players that weren't D-1 caliber out of HS.  In reality, a large portion of JuCo players are D-1 caliber basketball talent that hadn't been making the cut in the classroom.  JuCo is their chance to get that in order.

Initially, the injuries and lack of playing time this past season gave me pause, but looking at other offers and video Seems like good prospect.

5 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Friends in Syracuse tell me he had some growing up to do post high school. Let's hope he found the right situation in JUCO to make that happen. I like the talent level and the interest in local guys.

I like looking local. 

He didn't "light up JuCo" by any stretch, but I hope he grew a lot off the court. 

Goodnews wasn't ranked, and Malik was in the honorable mention.

We are normally used top 40 Juco players but we will have to see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I like looking local. 

He didn't "light up JuCo" by any stretch, but I hope he grew a lot off the court. 

Goodnews wasn't ranked, and Malik was in the honorable mention.

We are normally used top 40 Juco players but we will have to see what happens.

There's some really strong talent locally. Wish we mined Jeenathan's ties to the City Rocks more. They send players to high majors every year, we could be a mid-major power with only their guys showcasing their stuff close to home.

Re: the JUCO rankings and rankings as a whole...we got beaten a number of times this year by guys with no rankings and no reps. There's players everywhere, gotta find the right ones to buy in!

On 3/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, DocCas86 said:

Here is a write-ups from Cal.  It explains how an injury limited his minutes this past season.

https://bearinsider.com/s/2155/juco-malik-zachery-could-bring-pass-first-mentality-to-cal

Stats from Freshman year at Chipola

Zachery.JPG.6ffa105ff2de0a80d9fc67cb96dd4211.JPG

Here is a video, lot's of 'nice pass' commentary.

https://youtu.be/7fAdTYA1BzI

Interesting write up on him. With nine Div-1 offers including Ole Miss, Nebraska and Cal. Being from Syracuse I wonder if he would want to come back closer to home. I would guess it would come down to how a coach can sell to him how much his playing time would be. It sounds like he wants to play for a higher profile conference team to get the maximum exposure but I guess only time will tell. Go Bulls!!!!

On 3/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, MuchMany said:

Re: the JUCO rankings and rankings as a whole...we got beaten a number of times this year by guys with no rankings and no reps. There's players everywhere, gotta find the right ones to buy in!

I wish people in general would stop looking at rankings and how many stars a player has. That’s so irrelevant by the time practice begins and when games come around. We see it every year, 3, 4, 5 star guys who have trouble adjusting to D-1 basketball. It’s often times those 2 star players who rise up in mid major basketball and perform the best. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I wish people in general would stop looking at rankings and how many stars a player has. That’s so irrelevant by the time practice begins and when games come around. We see it every year, 3, 4, 5 star guys who have trouble adjusting to D-1 basketball. It’s often times those 2 star players who rise up in mid major basketball and perform the best. 

To further this point sometimes a no star recruit can become a big time player. CJ anyone! Also if we develop a guy, like say Gallion, at least we know we have him for 4 years. Whereas a hot shot 3 star recruit might come in for 2-3 years, grow his game then transfer.

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To further this point sometimes a no star recruit can become a big time player. CJ anyone! Also if we develop a guy, like say Gallion, at least we know we have him for 4 years. Whereas a hot shot 3 star recruit might come in for 2-3 years, grow his game then transfer.

Do agree.To some degree recruiting can be such a crapshoot. Our previous great years were because the coaches hit on players like Hamilton, Connor, Harris, McCrea along with transfers like Clark. Players like that and if you have some players that improve and stay four years like Perkins, CJ, Carothers  it can turn into a great team with chemistry and success. When it all comes together coaches get the accolades and are doing a great job. When there is some failure and less winning the coach is criticized and second guessed. Such is life in the life of college coaching. Ever wonder how coaches like Pitino,  Calipari and others would coach the exact same roster we had this year??  

21 hours ago, John said:

Do agree.To some degree recruiting can be such a crapshoot. Our previous great years were because the coaches hit on players like Hamilton, Connor, Harris, McCrea along with transfers like Clark. Players like that and if you have some players that improve and stay four years like Perkins, CJ, Carothers  it can turn into a great team with chemistry and success. When it all comes together coaches get the accolades and are doing a great job. When there is some failure and less winning the coach is criticized and second guessed. Such is life in the life of college coaching. Ever wonder how coaches like Pitino,  Calipari and others would coach the exact same roster we had this year??  

Not that it really matters, but just pointing out that Caruthers was actually a Juco transfer.  He played his freshman year in Juco and spent his sophomore year injured at a different Juco school.  He came to UB in his third year of college, so to speak, and had 3 years of eligibility with UB.

Edited by UBlearns