Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Malik Zachery (G - 2020)

Jeseph

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

Just realized we beat out ole miss for both Robinson and Zachery 😃

I'm sure they never thought they'd see the day we'd be legitimately competing with them for recruits. 2 for 3 UB in the last two years and the guy they beat us out for last year is already in the transfer portal. 😆

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Per his Snapchat, the university has let him back and he has been ordered to do 75 hours of community service as well as being put in disciplinary probation. We might see him play this season 

How many years of eligibility would he have if he plays?

11 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Per his Snapchat, the university has let him back and he has been ordered to do 75 hours of community service as well as being put in disciplinary probation. We might see him play this season 

One step closer. Given his appearances with the team it seems like he'll retain his spot on the roster...

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think 3 and possibly gets a free COVID year, so possibly 4.

It would be 3. 

He graduated highschool in June 2017, lol. 

He went prep school for 17-18, Chipola for 18-19 and 19-20 and has an injury waiver his 2nd year. 

Hurt/covid in 20-21

3 years left. Im not sure if he'll play them all with him already being around 22. But with his current Chipola coach on the staff, as well as being from Syracuse, and thanking us for sticking with him, I could see him playing out at least 2 or even all 3 of those years. 

Side note: he's UB's third highest recruit ever, per 247. His three star .888 would put him only behind Williams and Harris. 

Edited by Kevin

28 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

How much playing time do you figure he gets? What kind of role on the team will he have? Will he put up 10pts a game?

This made me want to try to theorize the rotation and minutes allocation, and I ended up quitting because there's so much depth and so many new pieces lol (and I wasn't even trying to factor in Blocker potentially).  It's a good problem to have after the last few seasons.

Assuming Segu is getting ~30 mpg, I would think the winner of Jones and Zachery gets between 10 and 20 mpg cleaning up Segu's back-up minutes and potentially earning some minutes off the ball if they show utility there (size and shooting wise this is probably more likely for Jones) or Whitesell wants to run some 2 PG offense à la Bearden and Evans.  I don't think he gets the minutes or the usage to get to 10 PPG, plus we don't know how quickly he will be ready to play at the D1 level.  His last full season was the '18-'19 season at the JUCO level

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

This made me want to try to theorize the rotation and minutes allocation, and I ended up quitting because there's so much depth and so many new pieces lol (and I wasn't even trying to factor in Blocker potentially).  It's a good problem to have after the last few seasons.

Assuming Segu is getting ~30 mpg, I would think the winner of Jones and Zachery gets between 10 and 20 mpg cleaning up Segu's back-up minutes and potentially earning some minutes off the ball if they show utility there (size and shooting wise this is probably more likely for Jones) or Whitesell wants to run some 2 PG offense à la Bearden and Evans.  I don't think he gets the minutes or the usage to get to 10 PPG, plus we don't know how quickly he will be ready to play at the D1 level.  His last full season was the '18-'19 season at the JUCO level

You’re forgetting Brewton, who is probably going to be in the rotation with Segu. 

18 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

You’re forgetting Brewton, who is probably going to be in the rotation with Segu. 

Zachery was highly touted out of JUCO, I see him maybe taking some minutes alongside Brewton. They also have chemistry together being teammates at chipola

20 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Brewton's not a PG, I think Jones or Zachery is doing the primary creation while Segu is on the bench. We don't really have a 3 backing up Williams, which makes me think Jack could play some minutes there since he's 6'5", which would open some minutes up at the 2 for one of the PGs to play off ball.  That's where it starts getting confusing though haha, I think most of our guys can play a couple of positions other than like Segu and Zachery stuck at the 1, Brewton at the 2, and Bertram at the 5

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

I need some clarification here. Canisius fans are claiming he brought a knife to a pickup basketball game but I've also heard that it was actually some exercise equipment that he picked up from the gym during the fight. Those are wildly different things in my mind and I'd love to know which one is true.

27 minutes ago, clodney said:

I need some clarification here. Canisius fans are claiming he brought a knife to a pickup basketball game but I've also heard that it was actually some exercise equipment that he picked up from the gym during the fight. Those are wildly different things in my mind and I'd love to know which one is true.

My guess is we won't have a clear answer out of this as both sides are likely limited in what they are advised to say publicly (and it's "he said, she said" on top of that).

1 hour ago, clodney said:

What is true is there was 12 kids fighting 5 or 6, UB was that 5 or 6. It’s not a good look for both sides. There is more to the story that we don’t know. If Malik was able to get a deal, then there was more on the Canisius side that wasn’t brought to the public. Like the kid who Malik “stabbed” was on social media crying wolf about it, when he most likely provoked something. But since Malik got himself a deal, and is probably able to play this year, I would say the justice system worked itself out and that the situation is probably taken care of. 

I will say however that it’s probably not ideal for us to play Canisius in the near future. Until it blows over. 

Just now, HomeyG said:

That makes no sense. UB stays with him through this mess then he bolts? Must be more to this

I was thinking the same, but hope it is not more.  Would like to see him turn things around.   At a minimum maybe he is motivated to get a fresh start and maybe the feeling is mutual.   Let's hope the team can still find a couple of guards.