Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Graves To Enter NBA Draft

rma

For the record I think he will test the process and ultimately come back. Although given all that’s going on in the world, the nba landscape is in flux right now. Who knows what happens. Just hope he gets the right advice. If he were to get drafted that would be amazing for us as a school. If his people are telling him he won’t be drafted then hopefully he comes back. Best of luck to him and thanks for 3 great years. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

For the record I think he will test the process and ultimately come back. Although given all that’s going on in the world, the nba landscape is in flux right now. Who knows what happens. Just hope he gets the right advice. If he were to get drafted that would be amazing for us as a school. If his people are telling him he won’t be drafted then hopefully he comes back. Best of luck to him and thanks for 3 great years. 

I wonder what the stats are for players that test the process?? Don’t some of these players that don’t make the NBA go to the G-League and really wonder how many of the players come back to their Schools!! At any rate if he does not come back it is going to be a big hole to fill. Go Bulls!!!

Will be good to have pro talent evaluators tell him that he needs to develop some other moves besides head down drive to the right with the occasional spin to the left. Good luck Jayvon. Saw Chanse retweet it, so it's good publicity however realistic his chances are.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:04 PM, MDBullsfan89 said:

He'll be back. Kinda surprised CJ, Perk and/or Harris didn't do this after their junior seasons. Good chance to get feedback from NBA scouts with little to no downside.

I thought I heard that this NBA draft was pretty loaded with a lot of talent. If true I would think Graves would be back playing his final year with UB. I agree he was our go to player but he was inconsistent in way too many games. In many games he had very bad halves especially in the 1st half of games. His free throw shooting was inconsistent and in at least two games that I can remember he had the last shot and his feet slipped out under him when driving to the basket. I also believe with all the extended energy he had to play with he seemed to run out of gas at times which is understandable. Still will look forward to his play next year and the improvement he can bring to his overall game. Go Bulls!!!!

I don't understand this.  The whole benefit of declaring and then withdrawing is that you're able to workout with NBA teams and get feedback from them and get extra practice in at a high level.  It is designed to better inform players if they really have a shot to be drafted and if not tell them what they need to work out.

Under normal circumstances it would be obvious for him to declare.

But the NBA has said they will not be holding workouts for players and won't be able to provide them with in person guidance or feedback.  It is basically like the old situation where players declared for the draft and went in blind.

This makes me think he is exploring non-NBA options and really just wants to hear if he can play over-seas and that makes it seem like he is looking to leave, not just exploring the NBA option.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:04 PM, MDBullsfan89 said:

He'll be back. Kinda surprised CJ, Perk and/or Harris didn't do this after their junior seasons. Good chance to get feedback from NBA scouts with little to no downside.

Do agree. Wednesday’s news with more players declaring for the NBA draft. Nico Mannion from Arizona and the two best players from Alabama - Kira Lewis Jr. and John Petty Jr. Xavier Tillman from Michigan State. If Oats loses both of those players it could affect how successful his second year could be. With all the uncertainty who knows when anything sports related will get back to anything close to normal. 

On 3/24/2020 at 10:34 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

I don't understand this.  The whole benefit of declaring and then withdrawing is that you're able to workout with NBA teams and get feedback from them and get extra practice in at a high level.  It is designed to better inform players if they really have a shot to be drafted and if not tell them what they need to work out.

Under normal circumstances it would be obvious for him to declare.

But the NBA has said they will not be holding workouts for players and won't be able to provide them with in person guidance or feedback.  It is basically like the old situation where players declared for the draft and went in blind.

This makes me think he is exploring non-NBA options and really just wants to hear if he can play over-seas and that makes it seem like he is looking to leave, not just exploring the NBA option.

I follow your logic, but if he was planning to go the declare to get feedback then return route prior to all the shutdowns, there's no harm in continuing down that road still. He can likely get feedback on his game film from pro staffs still even without workouts.

• 1 month later...

Do the players get a written report on how they did?  I mean, this result is 100% expected, but the value of the feedback could be immense (and motivating).  To hear a potential employer tell you that "you have x, y and z to work on to even have some sniff interest" could be very motivating for certain individuals.

13 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Do the players get a written report on how they did?  I mean, this result is 100% expected, but the value of the feedback could be immense (and motivating).  To hear a potential employer tell you that "you have x, y and z to work on to even have some sniff interest" could be very motivating for certain individuals.

Under normal circumstances yes. There would be an nba combine. Which I’m sure not all prospects get an invite. There would be private workouts. So yes there are scouting reports. Remember CJ had one. In the case of Graves he needs to come back. The Nba draft is 2 rounds. 60 picks. There are at least 163 college players currently declared. Plus the handful of international players. He is not getting drafted. Unless he thinks he can crack the G league, he needs to come back.

14 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Under normal circumstances yes. There would be an nba combine. Which I’m sure not all prospects get an invite. There would be private workouts. So yes there are scouting reports. Remember CJ had one. In the case of Graves he needs to come back. The Nba draft is 2 rounds. 60 picks. There are at least 163 college players currently declared. Plus the handful of international players. He is not getting drafted. Unless he thinks he can crack the G league, he needs to come back.

Plus every one in college who have used up all of their eligibility.