Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

Did the NCAA pass the one time transfer rule that a player does not have to sit out a year?? I have noticed a lot of players on some of the MAC teams putting in their transfers. I thought the transfer rule did not come up for a vote. I seen one of Bona’s players put in for transfer also.

Edited by Jeseph
Changed topic title to allow for broader discussion

I think as each day goes by you get a sense that no one is gonna jump ship. There was no mass exodus at season’s end and everyday as the portal fills up no one from UB has entered. I’m sure the coaches are talking to the players telling them what they envision for next year. And how current recruiting will or won’t effect players. Example...us bringing in multiple point guards and what that means for Segu.

We know about Turner and the kid from Kent State. Now add El-Amin to the list. If we keep our squad in tact we could be MAC favorites again.

I didn’t realize the Transfer Protocol thread was similar to this. I just started a new thread bc talking about Turner in a Frye thread was a little weird. Forgive me guys.

Edited by DooleyBull06

37 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We know about Turner and the kid from Kent State. Now add El-Amin to the list. If we keep our squad in tact we could be MAC favorites again.

I didn’t realize the Transfer Protocol thread was similar to this. I just started a new thread bc talking about Turner in a Frye thread was a little weird. Forgive me guys.

When I told my son that El-Amin's kid was at Northern it made him feel old.  When El-Amin was a freshman at UConn my son was throwing a football with some guy in the basement of Gampel Pavilion before a UB - UConn football game.  Later that year he was watching a UConn basketball game and called me over and said  look that is the guy I was throwing the football with at UConn.

A lot of times these guys go from being the star of their mid major team to being a role player on a squad that is filled with 4 and 5 star recruits. 

Most of the grad transfers do it for the experience of playing and contributing to a major college b-ball team with the chance of winning a title. 

Transferring has become like free agency. You building through recruiting and supplement through transfers.

37 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

A lot of times these guys go from being the star of their mid major team to being a role player on a squad that is filled with 4 and 5 star recruits. 

Most of the grad transfers do it for the experience of playing and contributing to a major college b-ball team with the chance of winning a title. 

Transferring has become like free agency. You building through recruiting and supplement through transfers.

Well said. A player that is a star player and the main guy on the mid major team goes to a power five conference and team with as you said all 4 and 5 star recruits not only on his team but in a power conference with 4 and 5 star players on most of the teams. Possibly a player like Justin Turner can be a good player at that level but he is going to come up against players that are as good as and better than him both athletically and physically. It can be a big time reality check for mid major players that were the main guys on their team. I think if that one time transfer rule ever does get passed I think you could see a crazy amount of players trying to transfer. Who knows what it could do to the mid major competition.and as always only time will tell what will happen.

18 hours ago, John said:

Well said. A player that is a star player and the main guy on the mid major team goes to a power five conference and team with as you said all 4 and 5 star recruits not only on his team but in a power conference with 4 and 5 star players on most of the teams. Possibly a player like Justin Turner can be a good player at that level but he is going to come up against players that are as good as and better than him both athletically and physically. It can be a big time reality check for mid major players that were the main guys on their team. I think if that one time transfer rule ever does get passed I think you could see a crazy amount of players trying to transfer. Who knows what it could do to the mid major competition.and as always only time will tell what will happen.

That certainly didn't apply to our own Shannon Evans.   He held his own going from the MAC to the PAC12.image.thumb.png.880b62001ebd8f812e0ca51b826fefe0.png

39 minutes ago, ATL_92 said:

That certainly didn't apply to our own Shannon Evans.   He held his own going from the MAC to the PAC12.image.thumb.png.880b62001ebd8f812e0ca51b826fefe0.png

I did not mean to come across that all players that transfer to power 5 conferences will not be successful. I do believe that the majority of players will not have big time success when they transfer. With the number of players transferring increasing with no end in sight I would think that there could be accurate stats over a number of years on the success or failure rate. The downside of the transfer rule is that fans of teams that fall in love with players might not be able to enjoy their stay on a team because they might only be On a team for a year or two and with players transferring team chemistry can take a beating. As fans I guess we just have to enjoy and cheer for the team we have from one year to the next. 

53 minutes ago, ATL_92 said:

Slightly different case...he followed the coach who recruited him. So the coach brought him in as a center piece. He didn’t join an already loaded team. Here’s Turner’s top choices:

25 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Slightly different case...he followed the coach who recruited him. So the coach brought him in as a center piece. He didn’t join an already loaded team. Here’s Turner’s top choices:

A pretty impressive list but I wonder what colleges will be really interested in him. I would think Turner wants to go to a team where he can be guaranteed a decent amount of playing time. But on the other hand he has to be a productive player for any team he goes to  or he will be sitting on the bench. That being said Turner looks like he has the athletic ability to compete a this higher level.It will be interesting to follow some of these players from the MAC and also if Alabama’s Rojas can be a decent player and where Hawkins end up.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Looks like he prioritizes style of play. Majority if not all those teams play an aggressive style

2 hours ago, SGBull said:

Should we assume none of our players are transferring at this point? Not sure why they would wait to announce it if they were.

I feel like if they were going to we would have heard by now. Not that it means a lot but I do like what they’ve been saying on social media lately. Segu and Williams called next year a revenge tour, Mballa and Nickelberry working out together in Florida, Graves looking to get feedback from NBA scouts. It looks like they’re taking things more seriously than before at least. 

• Like 1