Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

51 minutes ago, 961819 said:

This would ruin college basketball and shouldn’t even be a consideration. 

I agree it has a very good chance of ruining college sports but i understand why students should have this opportunity. I think with the right regulations in place and penalties it could work.

They have been fairly relaxed on the transfer rules recently anyways and should probably just leave it as is, or just lighten up on it a bit more

10 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Is this just for this season bc of Coronavirus? Or is this the vote that would allow a one time immediate eligibility transfer? 

No, it is part of a potential overhaul of transfer rules for Division I athletes.  They would be allowed one transfer and not have to sit out a year.  It would be like the Division III rule in the 1970s, when the only transfers who did not have to sit were those going from on Division III to another.  This was only valid once.  If you moved to a third school you had to sit. All other combinations had to sit a year.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

No, it is part of a potential overhaul of transfer rules for Division I athletes.  They would be allowed one transfer and not have to sit out a year.  It would be like the Division III rule in the 1970s, when the only transfers who did not have to sit were those going from on Division III to another.  This was only valid once.  If you moved to a third school you had to sit. All other combinations had to sit a year.

That’s what I thought. Thanks. There’s also a vote next week to determine if spring and winter athletes get their year eligibility back. 

3 minutes ago, lederh94 said:

I hope immediate transfer eligibility doesn't pass.  I just think Mid majors will be continuously raided for their top talent and it gives another advantage to the power 5.

Could help the other way too with a p5 player not getting any minutes they expected/were promised to transfer to a mid major to start 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Andre Allen entering transfer portal. I’d love to get him here after all 

Dang...and he’s leaving being close to home. So much for that being the reason why he decomitted from us. That’s now what 2/5 of our initial recruiting class from a year ago transferring out of the places they ditched us for.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Dang...and he’s leaving being close to home. So much for that being the reason why he decomitted from us. That’s now what 2/5 of our initial recruiting class from a year ago transferring out of the places they ditched us for.

Lol, it didn’t matter what they said for a reason, we all know why they left, Nate Oats was gone and so were they.

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Lol, it didn’t matter what they said for a reason, we all know why they left, Nate Oats was gone and so were they.

That is still the beauty and the frustration of what is happening in college basketball and sports in general. Only the player and his family know the full story why a player makes a decision to stay or go. The crazy part of leaving a program and going with their coach is their is no guarantee that the coach or the player will be successful. Many factors of course enter into it. The new college of course is an entirely different atmosphere and the entire quality of teams and players can be leaps and bounds in what was envisioned. Hope that Coach Whitesell and staff can sell our program and get some players to come here. Go Bulls!!!!

19 hours ago, John said:

That is still the beauty and the frustration of what is happening in college basketball and sports in general. Only the player and his family know the full story why a player makes a decision to stay or go. The crazy part of leaving a program and going with their coach is their is no guarantee that the coach or the player will be successful. Many factors of course enter into it. The new college of course is an entirely different atmosphere and the entire quality of teams and players can be leaps and bounds in what was envisioned. Hope that Coach Whitesell and staff can sell our program and get some players to come here. Go Bulls!!!!

Loyalty in recruiting died many many years ago.

1 hour ago, HomeyG said:

That is good to see. It will be nice to see Kent State fighting to be the second best team in the MAC...

They lost their entire team outside of Pippen, that isn't even hyperbole. 

Kent, BG, Akron, Ball State, and NIU got hit hard

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just wait if the one time transfer rule passes. Mid majors will become minor league feeders.

I think the first couple years you'll see an influx of transfers but at the same time that means higher level recruits will have to go to lower level schools as well as bench players at higher levels needing to go lower.

Which means if you can set up a consistent team that plays a good out of conference schedule you may be able to attract bigger recruits and if you parlay bigger recruits to a ranked team why would they leave?

This could be very good for a team like UB, you may have to work for it but the school should be in position to take advantage of this

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I think the first couple years you'll see an influx of transfers but at the same time that means higher level recruits will have to go to lower level schools as well as bench players at higher levels needing to go lower.

Which means if you can set up a consistent team that plays a good out of conference schedule you may be able to attract bigger recruits and if you parlay bigger recruits to a ranked team why would they leave?

This could be very good for a team like UB, you may have to work for it but the school should be in position to take advantage of this

Yeah, we might start seeing a bunch of Mballa's.

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Idk. From what I see in the portal currently a lot of these high major kids that wanna transfer are being sought after by other high majors. The way it seem currently is that unless they flamed out they will just bounce from one power conference team to the other. 

55 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just when we thought we saw the last of him, coming back to BG is an option.

Him back with bowling green improves the chances of the mac of getting multiple teams into the tournament, if you're looking for positives if he returns