Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Didn’t he threaten to leave Miami last year also?

Nah, he just joined the draft like Graves did

He was a top 3 player in the MAC to me, he was on a bad team but was ridiculous in the conference tournament on a 12 seed team

10 hours ago, Bill said:

honestly makes me a little upset seeing all these good players want to transfer out of the MAC. Yes it may make it somewhat easier for UB, but I like to see top talent stay in our conference still. 

I agree, hate to see talent leave.  Seems like interest from Kentucky.  Time will tell how much he would contribute on a team the caliber of Kentucky, but seems like his motivation is a desire to play in NCAA tournament.

Maybe he wants to play for a "bigger name" program since he can try to gain endorsements with the new rule going into place. With a name like "Nike", maybe he feels that he can earn a good deal of $$ elsewhere. All of the transfers, new $$ rules and recent shutdowns is a big problem with regard to the way things have been and will be, in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Maybe he wants to play for a "bigger name" program since he can try to gain endorsements with the new rule going into place. With a name like "Nike", maybe he feels that he can earn a good deal of $$ elsewhere. All of the transfers, new $$ rules and recent shutdowns is a big problem with regard to the way things have been and will be, in my opinion.

As of now the new rule which has yet be approved by the NCAA would not go into effect until the 2021-2022 academic year.

I’m all for college athletes (all sports) being able to make money off their name, image and likeness but a lot of these kids are in for a rude awakening when they realize their name, image and likeness aren’t worth all that much. And when you do agree to a paid event or whatever, there are obligations that come with it. Contracts and stipulations. Again this is something that would be great for Zion and the like...but joe smoe at (take your pick of small mid majors no one has ever heard of) not so much. Also in the hands of the NCAA I’m sure they will muck it up. There’s a lot to figure out with this. A lot. I don’t expect this to be implemented this year. Rant over. Anyone hearing anything about our last scholarship and assistant coaching vacancy?

• Like 2

“I would like to thank all of the schools that recruited me, but I have decided to narrow my list down to five programs," Sibande told 247Sports. "The five I am considering are Alabama, Arkansas, Georgetown, Georgia and Xavier."

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Glad we didn't have something like this happen.

Not sure what happened and where they are headed - any chance of an inter SUNY transfer?

Yeah, this is one of my biggest gripes with the posters who complain about Whitesell. He managed to keep our entire team intact, and keep recruiting momentum rolling. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Yeah, this is one of my biggest gripes with the posters who complain about Whitesell. He managed to keep our entire team intact, and keep recruiting momentum rolling. 

I don’t think any of his detractors deny that. It’s far and away his best quality as a coach and 99% of why the hire made sense in the first place. I think those of us on the fence are wondering how long keeping and attracting talent is going to be enough to keep everybody happy?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, myBuffalo said:

This is happening in some manner and form at Georgetown, poor Coach Ewing.

I think we may see more kids doing what McClung is doing. Maybe assuming that next season is going to be curtailed/cancelled so avoid a lost year and get in a better spot. Though if God forbid the season is cancelled, we may get a (permanent) preview of unlimited transfers, as everyone will have sat out a year.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, BasketBull said:

I don’t think any of his detractors deny that. It’s far and away his best quality as a coach and 99% of why the hire made sense in the first place. I think those of us on the fence are wondering how long keeping and attracting talent is going to be enough to keep everybody happy?

How long? It’s been one 20 win season with a young team so far.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rma said:

And impressive recruits coming in.

I don’t think our recruiting will waver any time soon, Buffalo has cemented themselves as a top mid major team. Even though the outcome last year was not what anyone wanted, still won 20 games with a young and new team.

15 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I think we may see more kids doing what McClung is doing. Maybe assuming that next season is going to be curtailed/cancelled so avoid a lost year and get in a better spot. Though if God forbid the season is cancelled, we may get a (permanent) preview of unlimited transfers, as everyone will have sat out a year.

It is not that you did not play a year.  You have to be enrolled at the new school for a year before you become eligible to play.  That was Wes Clark became eligible at the end of the first semester.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, BasketBull said:

I agree.  People always complain about the coaches.  Heck, I am sure people complain about Mark Few and Coach K.

What people are complaining about Whitesell now (or, at least, during the season) had to do with playing certain players at certain times, lack of "fire" on the sidelines, inability to get guys up for games where they were the superior team on paper, etc.

18 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I agree.  People always complain about the coaches.  Heck, I am sure people complain about Mark Few and Coach K.

What people are complaining about Whitesell now (or, at least, during the season) had to do with playing certain players at certain times, lack of "fire" on the sidelines, inability to get guys up for games where they were the superior team on paper, etc.

Having the worst home record in the MAC is a good place to start too. Worse than the 12 seed in the conference and not "qualifying" for Cleveland for the first time in 15 years are all valid criticisms without being accused of hating the program.