Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

52 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Having the worst home record in the MAC is a good place to start too. Worse than the 12 seed in the conference and not "qualifying" for Cleveland for the first time in 15 years are all valid criticisms without being accused of hating the program.

Buddy, for someone who always claims to be a UB lover, you project more hate on the players and coaches than anyone on here, in a majority of your posts. It's tiresome. Instead of always finding things to criticize, be happy that this team has been so successful over the past many years, in addition to having a strong core returning and adding an impressive recruiting class. Life isn't all gumdrops and candy, but give your negative comments of the team a rest.

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Buddy, for someone who always claims to be a UB lover, you project more hate on the players and coaches than anyone on here, in a majority of your posts. It's tiresome. Instead of always finding things to criticize, be happy that this team has been so successful over the past many years, in addition to having a strong core returning and adding an impressive recruiting class. Life isn't all gumdrops and candy, but give your negative comments of the team a rest.

We were insanely young last year, inconsistent results are bound to happen. We still were able to win 20 games however. I think we will be top dog this year

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

What people are complaining about Whitesell now (or, at least, during the season) had to do with playing certain players at certain times, lack of "fire" on the sidelines, inability to get guys up for games where they were the superior team on paper, etc.

All of which are immensely important.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Was anything I said wrong? Those were facts posted, not opinions.

Another "how you should be a fan" post. Thats your schtick though. I'm allowed to post my thoughts, just like you are.

46 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Was anything I said wrong? Those were facts posted, not opinions.

Another "how you should be a fan" post. Thats your schtick though. I'm allowed to post my thoughts, just like you are.

Yep, and your sctick is negativity towards the players, coaches and team always, so it goes hand in hand. 

Another fact is that the team won 20 games last year after having graduated 5 players, 4 of whom were All MAC players. That season also included a coaching overhaul and needing to replace an entire recruiting class. Sorry that wasn't good enough for you. 

Additionally, since clearly UB basketball doesn't live up to your expectations, maybe you should donate towards them so that they can have more resources towards achieving whatever it is that they need to do in order to please you. http://bullsbwf.com/bef/ 

Edited by skrabukes

12 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Yep, and your sctick is negativity towards the players, coaches and team always, so it goes hand in hand. 

Another fact is that the team won 20 games last year after having graduated 5 players, 4 of whom were All MAC players. That season also included a coaching overhaul and needing to replace an entire recruiting class. Sorry that wasn't good enough for you. 

Always? That's inherently false. 

Is 20 wins a goal that I'm misunderstanding the importance? 107 teams finished with 20 or more wins, UB finishing tied for 107th. Is that their goal? 107th and no bid to Cleveland? Seems like we've set goals back to the Reggie days then. 

You allow for a 95-5 positive to negative ratio. I'm probably closer to 50-50, which is apparently "ALWAYS" to you. I don't think I'm allowed to post without you needing to claim now "negative I always am."

Your positivity fan board post-ratio or how much you do or don't donate, doesn't make anyone a better fan than someone else, as much as some on here don't like to believe.

Edited by Kevin

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Is 20 wins a goal that I'm misunderstanding the importance? 107 teams finished with 20 or more wins, UB finishing tied for 107th. Is that their goal? 107th and no bid to Cleveland? Seems like we've set goals back to the Reggie days then. 

You allow for a 95-5 positive to negative ratio. I'm probably closer to 50-50, which is apparently "ALWAYS" to you. I don't think I'm allowed to post without you needing to claim now "negative I always am."

Your positivity fan board post-ratio or how much you do or don't donate, doesn't make anyone a better fan than someone else, as much as some on here don't like to believe.

I have no problem with criticism when it's warranted. Again, the team replaced 4 All-MAC players from the year before. The fact that you figured that they'd win (evidently) 25+ games since 20 wasn't enough is ridiculous. Had we all hoped for better? Of course, however a 20 win season following the best season ever and incredible graduating class/new staff/re-tooled incoming class is nothing less than reasonable, but not in your eyes. Instead, you always gravitate on the loss to the 12-seed (which no one is happy about, but the score starts at 0-0 in sports) and worst home record in the MAC (how was their road record compared to the rest of the MAC?).

With regard to "how much you do or don't donate" has nothing to do with anything. If you want to frequently criticize the program, then do something to help it so that it can meet your expectations. That seems like a valid statement as well. 

36 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I have no problem with criticism when it's warranted. Again, the team replaced 4 All-MAC players from the year before. The fact that you figured that they'd win (evidently) 25+ games since 20 wasn't enough is ridiculous. Had we all hoped for better? Of course, however a 20 win season following the best season ever and incredible graduating class/new staff/re-tooled incoming class is nothing less than reasonable, but not in your eyes. Instead, you always gravitate on the loss to the 12-seed (which no one is happy about, but the score starts at 0-0 in sports) and worst home record in the MAC (how was their road record compared to the rest of the MAC?).

With regard to "how much you do or don't donate" has nothing to do with anything. If you want to frequently criticize the program, then do something to help it so that it can meet your expectations. That seems like a valid statement as well. 

It's not a winning number total. It's not that hard to understand. The issue that the "complainers" have is that hitting a magical random number doesn't exonerate them from the season. We get told all season to wait for Cleveland or let's wait to evaluate in March. Well March came and they lost in their home gym to a team that had one player go off (that they couldn't defend). Now you are saying "IT'S JUST ONE BAD GAME". Well, it also was the biggest game on the schedule.

They dropped home games to teams worse than Miami (poor home fans), the energy was lacking heavily at times, the lineups and end of game coaching decisions were off, defensive disappearance (309th), FT shooting (262nd), and the allowed stretches of ice cold iso ball that every single person on here knows was a problem. That's plenty more issues than them not reaching 25 wins. But if you want some magical number to make yourself feel better, I wanted 23-24 wins and at minimum and a MAC semi-finals game (which no one should tell you is too lofty). If you were at senior night 2019 and at the home Miami MAC game and think that general fans/public haven't taken a big step back, I'm not sure what to say.

What are they going to do with my money? They earned 1M for grooming Oats for a P5 job. Do we know where that was allocated?  So in order to criticize the program, I need to donate a certain amount to help them reach MY goals? That's exactly what I'm talking about. 

I've spoken with many casual UB fans that are bummed by the Oats departure (more than players), the issues with recruiting (that looks way worse to the average person) and the scare to go back to days prior to Hurley. To your shocking understanding, I am generally the one that "sells" the team back to these more casual fans. 

I can post my thoughts on UBFAN.com/bb/and still root for the basketball team to win games, regardless of how much you claim on hate the team and players.

I'm done hijacking the transfer portal thread though to argue with you again on how negative or positive someone is allowed to be on a fan board. 

Edited by Kevin

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

50/50? LOL, I don’t think we’ve gotten anything other than Whitesell and Grant bashing since the start of last season from you, followed by crickets whenever they did something positive. I don’t understand it, but it’s absolutely your right as a fan and at times it’s been warranted. As for 20 wins being “the goal,” you’re just twisting the argument to make yours look better. I don’t think anyone here is going to happy to coast along winning 20 games and not making it to Cleveland. But the fact you continually ignore is that we lost 4 of 5 from the starting Lineup of our best team in program history and the two best players to come off the bench in program history. And still won 20 games in Whitesells first year with an incredibly young team. All while pulling in 2 of the best recruiting classes in program history despite turnover of 2 recruiters and the loss of an entire class when Oats left. You ignore all this because cuts the legs out from under your silly insistence that this was a terrible, unacceptable season and that we’re somehow “back to the Reggie days” which is laughable and insulting to the current team and coaches. 

• Like 3

How about you guys start a general discussion about how you can’t bear to see someone post their opinions on a forum. Which, if I can recall, is allowed. If you don’t like someone’s opinion, ignore them. It’s not hard.

This is a thread based on the transfer portal. If you don’t have any useful updates, then stop posting in the thread. It’s not a hard concept to grasp.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

How about you guys start a general discussion about how you can’t bear to see someone post their opinions on a forum. Which, if I can recall, is allowed. If you don’t like someone’s opinion, ignore them. It’s not hard.

And here you are ironically doing the same thing you’re complaining about 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UB05 said:

50/50? LOL, I don’t think we’ve gotten anything other than Whitesell and Grant bashing since the start of last season from you, followed by crickets whenever they did something positive. I don’t understand it, but it’s absolutely your right as a fan and at times it’s been warranted. As for 20 wins being “the goal,” you’re just twisting the argument to make yours look better. I don’t think anyone here is going to happy to coast along winning 20 games and not making it to Cleveland. But the fact you continually ignore is that we lost 4 of 5 from the starting Lineup of our best team in program history and the two best players to come off the bench in program history. And still won 20 games in Whitesells first year with an incredibly young team. All while pulling in 2 of the best recruiting classes in program history despite turnover of 2 recruiters and the loss of an entire class when Oats left. You ignore all this because cuts the legs out from under your silly insistence that this was a terrible, unacceptable season and that we’re somehow “back to the Reggie days” which is laughable and insulting to the current team and coaches. 

"I dont think anyone here is happy to win 20 games." Lololol! Talk about the actual funnest thing I've read on here. That is the principle argument to the success of the season.

I'm not addressing the fact that they graduated their top players? Every team loses players. It's a 4 year sport with transfers and NBA drafts involved as well. 

Incredibly young? They played 3 seniors and 3 juniors in their top 10 (5 in the top 8 ), as i've posted in other threads, they were not even in the top half of the NCAA for minutes by underclassman and only 381 by Freshman. They had some youth but "incredibly young" is hilarious. 

2 of the best recruiting classes in program history? what are you referring to? Last year was certainly not that (only 1 player went on to score more than 3 PPG). Are you counting this year too? Every player minus Mballa was an Oats hold over or recruit (including Hardnett). He gets credit for not having anyone leave, sure. I've said that before and have stated that's probably how he scored the job over other candidates.

Winning 4 of 5 titles (where players also graduated) and then going on to not even qualify for Cleveland would be a big step back and it is perceived that way to the public. I get that there are a select few board members and donors who don't care or see this, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Edited by Kevin

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

"I dont think anyone here is happy to win 20 games." Lololol! Talk about the actual funnest thing I've read on here. That is the principle argument to the success of the season.

I'm not addressing the fact that they graduated their top players? Every team loses players. It's a 4 year sport with transfers and NBA drafts involved as well. 

Incredibly young? They played 3 seniors and 3 juniors in their top 10 (5 in the top 8 ), as i've posted in other threads, they were not even in the top half of the NCAA for minutes by underclassman and only 381 by Freshman. They had some youth but "incredibly young" is hilarious. 

2 of the best recruiting classes in program history? what are you referring to? Last year was certainly not that (only 1 player went on to score more than 3 PPG). Are you counting this year too? Every player minus Mballa was an Oats hold over or recruit (including Hardnett). He gets credit for not having anyone leave, sure. I've said that before and have stated that's probably how he scored the job over other candidates.

Winning 4 of 5 titles (where players also graduated) and then going on to not even qualify for Cleveland would be a big step back and it is perceived that way to the public. I get that there are a select few board members and donors who don't care or see this, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Can this argument just be over with already. Yes we lost in the first round but guess what we played as many games in Cleveland as every other team in the league. 

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

No scholarship after 1 and 1 for Brewton

Unless a forward leaves

Maybe this is in another thread, but can someone give me an update on what our roster would look like for Fall 2020?

Don't we need some big men?  Even if they aren't great, we still need some height out there to rebound occasionally, absorb fouls, alter shots, etc.  

7 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Maybe this is in another thread, but can someone give me an update on what our roster would look like for Fall 2020?

Don't we need some big men?  Even if they aren't great, we still need some height out there to rebound occasionally, absorb fouls, alter shots, etc.  

I think that the roster has plenty of big men. Mballa and J. Williams have played lots of minutes and are athletic bigs who can do it on offense and on the boards. Hardnett showed flashes in limited minutes last year. Bertram is what he is, gives you super effort and is a solid role player for a few spot minutes here and there. Fagan will return, and I had some high hopes for him last year. Skogman is a wild card after redshirting last year. That's actually a LOT of bigs to go with very athletic guards, and might be the most "bigs" that we've had ever. It depends how you consider a "big", but 6'6-6'7+ would satisfy that for me and is represented by all of these guys.

3 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Do we have a scholarship open? He would be a nice add.

Also not a bad list of teams to be associated with

Agree - this list puts us in some good company - even if not in the cards for us.  I was thinking Garcia might be a fit when I saw that Stony Brook lost their top 3 and before Brewton announcement.