Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

15 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Akron picks up 6'6 SF transfer from Wake Forest today.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-wynn-ny

He averaged a little less than 2 points a game about six minutes per game in two years at Wake Forest.

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2020&p=Michael Wynn&t=Wake Forest

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2019&p=Michael Wynn&t=Wake Forest

Was he a walk-on at WF? I know not every ACC recruit works out but a 2️ that rarely played?

12 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I look forward to seeing Jeenathan's performance the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see how Williams progress will be. I wonder how much he has been able to workout and improve on his weakness and his strengths from last year. Will he be able to make shots from the outside, will he have another move to the basket other than the drive to the left, will he show some semblance of improvement on his defense and be some kind of force under the basket??  Time will tell and it looks like it could be a very strange year with the pandemic not close to be under control. Go Bulls!!!

7 hours ago, John said:

It will be interesting to see how Williams progress will be. I wonder how much he has been able to workout and improve on his weakness and his strengths from last year. Will he be able to make shots from the outside, will he have another move to the basket other than the drive to the left, will he show some semblance of improvement on his defense and be some kind of force under the basket??  Time will tell and it looks like it could be a very strange year with the pandemic not close to be under control. Go Bulls!!!

I had issues trying to post an Instagram story of his last week showing him in a serious pick-up game, but he looked fantastic. Stronger with a slightly tighter handle, showed plenty of right hand finishes. He might have spent part of quarantine down in Florida where he seems part of Rondo's crew now.

Side note: Mballa and Nickelberry looked to have spent a month together working out at some complex during quarantine. Hope Nick can raise his level this year, he'd be a great piece off the bench. Nate, Rondo, Josh and David have been playing together in pick-up games recently too.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

While not a transfer, I’m not going to start a separate thread for an Ohio recruit.  Per the VC site, they just got a commit from a 4 star freshman point guard.  

Mark Sears, 6,1" PG from Muscle Shoals, AL.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/mark-sears

3 stars on 247

https://247sports.com/Player/Mark-Sears-46083972/

Looked at offers

South Alabama, UAB, Missouri State, Elon, Stetson, Troy and Washington State

6 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

While not a transfer, I’m not going to start a separate thread for an Ohio recruit.  Per the VC site, they just got a commit from a 4 star freshman point guard.  

Not enjoying Ohio's obvious rise in prestige under Boals. They're going to be a problem from now on.

Looks like this kid followed his prep coach who joined Boals staff this summer. Similar to what Foley has done with the two Chipola guys for us. Seems to be becoming a trend in recruiting/hiring.

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Not enjoying Ohio's obvious rise in prestige under Boals. They're going to be a problem from now on.

Looks like this kid followed his prep coach who joined Boals staff this summer. Similar to what Foley has done with the two Chipola guys for us. Seems to be becoming a trend in recruiting/hiring.

This has been around for years.  Julius Erving chose UMass over UB when UMass hired his high school coach as an assistant coach.  Same thing with Danny Manning when Larry Brown hired his father as an assistant at Kansas.

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

On paper, Sears is ranked slightly higher than Chanse.  I think it will be exciting to see how they progress.  I look at Ohio's development as glass half full, as it should lead to some exciting games.  Games that I hope that Chanse and the Bulls come out on top more times than not.

10 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Mark Sears, 6,1" PG from Muscle Shoals, AL.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/mark-sears

3 stars on 247

https://247sports.com/Player/Mark-Sears-46083972/

Looked at offers

South Alabama, UAB, Missouri State, Elon, Stetson, Troy and Washington State

Can't be the only one that thinking it's strange not a single SEC school offered a 4 star from Alabama? That is a strange list of schools but maybe it's the schools that would hire his coach?

3 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Can't be the only one that thinking it's strange not a single SEC school offered a 4 star from Alabama? That is a strange list of schools but maybe it's the schools that would hire his coach?

It is strange. Past the top 150 or so kids per class I've lost faith in most rankings. Guys fall through the cracks or don't get the exposure leading to a lower ranking, but then turn into college stars.

That being said, this upcoming class is a crucial one. We need a signature class to fill in behind Rondo and Nate who will be seniors when they come in (hard to believe, time flies.) We run the risk of losing the prestige from the Oats years if we don't lock it in soon. Hoping we can connect on some higher end guys maybe from Ontario and not rely so much on the types we've been offering lately.

After a disappointing season (for any team, any sport, not necessarily UB MBB ‘19 but...)  I wonder if the team under achieved, or if the fan base under scouted their opponents.  
This recruit may not have the best offers, but at least one recruiting service thinks highly of him.  I think we should be warned that other teams are coming for the crown.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I think we should be warned that other teams are coming for the crown.  

I know that the MACC was cancelled and the crown may be in our trophy case but we're certainly not wearing it after this past season...

11 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I know that the MACC was cancelled and the crown may be in our trophy case but we're certainly not wearing it after this past season...

Peace, I wasn’t trying to say UB ended last season as MAC #1.  My comment was more about lower level teams not folding, and that every team above them should take notice. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, MuchMany said:

It is strange. Past the top 150 or so kids per class I've lost faith in most rankings. Guys fall through the cracks or don't get the exposure leading to a lower ranking, but then turn into college stars.

I thought I would look into how predictive the 247sports score is for predicting success in the MAC.  I focused on recruits with rankings 0.85 or better.  Starting with the incoming class of 2011, there were a total of 24 recruits in this bucket.  What I observed is that for Guards / Small Forwards there is a fair amount of success, but the PF / C in the group (a small sample size of six) were not that productive during their MAC careers.  The lone exception was Seth Dugan / Western Michigan, in particular his senior year.  Note that I took the position from 247 profile - I did not attempt to fix.

image.png.4c1b1d8677ff465f89308eb566a9946e.png

• Thanks 2

Thanks Doc, that's an interesting list of names with clearly varied career outcomes.

I'm more thinking of guys who come in less heralded and become top players in the conference (CJ). It feels like the depth of talent and potential these days doesn't get captured by 247 or anyone else simply because it would be an enormous amount of challenging work to do so. The rise in consistent quality of high-end mid-major programs in the past 5 years or so is evidence of this talent pool that programs are doing a great job of identifying and developing.

It might be interesting to look at the top 10 in MAC scoring or PER the past five years and see their recruiting rankings.