Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

On 7/25/2020 at 8:53 AM, MuchMany said:

Thanks Doc, that's an interesting list of names with clearly varied career outcomes.

I'm more thinking of guys who come in less heralded and become top players in the conference (CJ). It feels like the depth of talent and potential these days doesn't get captured by 247 or anyone else simply because it would be an enormous amount of challenging work to do so. The rise in consistent quality of high-end mid-major programs in the past 5 years or so is evidence of this talent pool that programs are doing a great job of identifying and developing.

It might be interesting to look at the top 10 in MAC scoring or PER the past five years and see their recruiting rankings.

I started to compile this list this morning.  I thought it would be easy.  I wonder if I was set up 😉 by MuchMany.  What I noticed right off the bat, is that most of the top 10 scorers in the MAC over the past five seasons did not have a ranking in my data.  So my first reaction was that possibly this was a function of how I compiled my initial data.  So I set about trying to manually fill in missing 247 rankings.  What I observed was that either they had a ranking of NA or no profile was available on 247Sports. 

So what do I conclude from work done so far.  Rankings, when available can be somewhat predictive of success, but overall 247sports does not review many of the players that make it in the MAC, so a very limited source.  It may be worth noting that verbalcommits had profiles for each of the players with list of teams that offered scholarship - this is another potential piece of the puzzle.  But I may have to face the fact that based on public information that I have discovered - I will have to trust the coaches / staff to come up with good prospects. 😉

I took a little time this morning to compile the list for 2020 top scorers.  As you can see, 247 did not have ratings for most of these players.  VC had Justin Turner and Jayvon ranked at 3.0, and Eugene German and Loren Christian Jackson at 2.5, but not really predicting the success for these players..

image.png.63462641b64cf69c573a82bf4ec12f33.png

I would be interested if anyone sees a pattern here.

Collectively the players with 247 ranking above 0.85, averaged 7.6 ppg, with Tahjai Teague (SR / 14.4 ppg / 0.8824 rank), Ishmael El-Amin (JR/ 13.8 ppg / 0.8616 rank) and Jeenathan Williams (SO / 11.6 ppg / 0.9368).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The Transfer Portal is starting to fill up with talent.

This is exciting from a recruiting perspective (assuming we're still trying to recruit... /s)

It also makes me anxious because we have talent that could transfer.

Going to be an interesting offseason.

23 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about one of our Big 3 transferring. I am hoping Williams/Segu friendship keeps them both here, as well as Mballa already transferring once might deter him. 

I hope they don’t transfer. If they do then we are in full blown rebuild mode. As for Mballa, his skill set is great for the MAC but slightly limited for bigger conferences IMO. Really hope he stays. 

I honestly believe none of them will transfer. From a development stand point they will develop here better than anywhere else in my opinion

Where else will they be counted on to lead, to play 30+ minutes, where plays and game plans will be made around them? And if there are teams that can provide that are they better than ubl or have a better shot at the ncaa's

• Like 1

I don’t believe the big 3 are leaving. Unfinished business and it’s their show. I’m more concerned about getting transfers. Are we in the running for any big names in the transfer portal? Nimari Burnett, CG, is transferring from Texas Tech.  Worked out really well for Mballa. Justin Powell, PG from Auburn, 6’5” and dangerous from 3? Could be a great fit? 

21 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

I don’t believe the big 3 are leaving. Unfinished business and it’s their show. I’m more concerned about getting transfers. Are we in the running for any big names in the transfer portal? Nimari Burnett, CG, is transferring from Texas Tech.  Worked out really well for Mballa. Justin Powell, PG from Auburn, 6’5” and dangerous from 3? Could be a great fit? 

Reaching high there. I would look to names that we initially recruited. There are some out there. An example of that is Hardnett. We recruited him, he signed elsewhere but then transferred over. Keep an eye out for guys like that. 

49 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Reaching high there. I would look to names that we initially recruited. There are some out there. An example of that is Hardnett. We recruited him, he signed elsewhere but then transferred over. Keep an eye out for guys like that. 

Going off that, I’ve only found two of our 2019 and 2020 offers in the transfer portal. De’Sean Allen-Eikens and AJ Bramah 

1 hour ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Going off that, I’ve only found two of our 2019 and 2020 offers in the transfer portal. De’Sean Allen-Eikens and AJ Bramah 

There’s a few other guys from seasons before. Example: Penn St guard Jamari Wheeler. Xavier forward Daniel Ramsey. According to verbal commits...we recruited them at some point. 

8 hours ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

While transfer rules are changing, Mballa already transferred once. He is different from Williams and Segu. All seem locked in for next year but I’m almost certain Mballa would need to sit if he went elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, ub2019 said:

I wonder if UB would have any interest? A local kid that went to Timon and had very good numbers last year at Hampton.

I'm interested. 6'6" guard who scored 21 PPG and had 2 SPG as well. Not a great three point shooter but shot 75% from the line. Could be a good one year replacement for the Nickelberry role.

22 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I'm interested. 6'6" guard who scored 21 PPG and had 2 SPG as well. Not a great three point shooter but shot 75% from the line. Could be a good one year replacement for the Nickelberry role.

Yeah - I don't care what conference you're playing in, if you're averaging 21 ppg, definitely at least worth a look.

2 hours ago, ub2019 said:

I wonder if UB would have any interest? A local kid that went to Timon and had very good numbers last year at Hampton.

36 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

In addition, he averaged 6 rebounds per game - seems worth a look.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/davion-warren-1.html

34 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

As much as it might be a good addition,  it would really be boom or bust for us then. We'd have such a reliance on seniors (already will have 3 big cogs in that class). I'd be more worried about future, unless we added a couple of young guys along with him. Adding a scorer is rarely a bad choice though! He must've developed big time in college, as he was very good in HS, but 20ppg in college is massive. 

• Like 2