Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Stick to What You Know

BrooklynBull

For years I have read here what people think different coaches should be doing in connection with different personnel in a variety of different sports.  I think John Feinstein summarizes my thoughts on these posts.  For those of you who do not remember Terry Holland he was head basketball coach at Virginia.

• Like 1

So since I have a data analytics background, I should only criticize coaches for the act of not going for it on 4th & 1, but not criticize their play call? I’m fine with that assessment if they stop punting or kicking on 4th & 1.

4 hours ago, rma said:

So since I have a data analytics background, I should only criticize coaches for the act of not going for it on 4th & 1, but not criticize their play call? I’m fine with that assessment if they stop punting or kicking on 4th & 1.

Disagree.  Sports are played by humans not computer formulas.  All 4ths and 1s are not alike.  Analytics are ruining sports.

They are one of top five the things that has ruined baseball, not in any particular order:

1. Tony LaRussa and bullpen by committee.
  2. Davey Johnson and double switching in the 3rd inning.
  3. Sports Talk Radio with fans questioning every move by a manager when they lose because of
  4. Analytics
  5. The National League's adoption of the DH for the bullpen (either flat out adopt the DH or let relief pitchers hit and stop burning through your bench)

Also in football on 4th and 1 if a team does not kick, the coach is genius if they make the first down and a moron if they come up short the next day on sports radio.

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Analytics are ruining sports.

This sounds like something that a Buffalo Sabres GM would say.

The reality is that games have evolved. You don’t have to lick your finger and put it to the wind to make decisions anymore. Coaches tend to go for the more risk averse option. 

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Also in football on 4th and 1 if a team does not kick, the coach is genius if they make the first down and a moron if they come up short the next day on sports radio.

The qualifier there being on sports radio. In reality, the decision to run a certain play (or to run a play at all) and the execution of certain plays are two completely separate clauses. Many times there are bad decisions run with good results, that does not make the decision to run that play any better in hindsight.