229 Miami-OH H
229 Miami-OH (MAC) H
237 Western Michigan H
258 Canisius H
264 Army H
300 Niagara H
~400 Nazareth H

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

There was no reason to lose some of the games we did at home. Just goes to show that this team was capable of being really good...and bad. We could beat anyone and lose to anyone. Hope it’s fuel for next year’s fire.

That was the frustrating part of the year. The consistency was not there both as a team and as individual players. The only player out of our newcomers that gave us hope was Mballa with all the others being very inconsistent or no help at all. If we don’t get some positive improvement from the majority of our returning players without naming them it could be another frustrating year. Hope the community support and the student support will not waver like what has happened at our other local colleges. Our family will be out in front in our support for both the men and women. Go Bulls!!!!

35 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Tells me a lack of focus

Yep. Lack of focus, lack of leadership and a lack of maturity

The team bought into how good they were the prior year, thought they could get by on talent and athleticism alone

Think as the season progressed they learned slowly they need to take each and every game seriously but then again the last game of the season was against a team we should have smoked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Yep. Lack of focus, lack of leadership and a lack of maturity

The team bought into how good they were the prior year, thought they could get by on talent and athleticism alone

Think as the season progressed they learned slowly they need to take each and every game seriously but then again the last game of the season was against a team we should have smoked

Consistency, lack of chemistry along with the newer players not being productive both as individuals and as a team result in losing many games especially against supposedly teams with less talent, I think the one big key for next year will be how Segu and Williams play. Will they improve or play inconsistent especially in big moments in games?? Go Bulls!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

Consistency, lack of chemistry along with the newer players not being productive both as individuals and as a team result in losing many games especially against supposedly teams with less talent, I think the one big key for next year will be how Segu and Williams play. Will they improve or play inconsistent especially in big moments in games?? Go Bulls!!!

I think some of our chemistry and consistency issues are on the coach too. Right up until the last game of the season he didn’t have a set lineup or rotation. He played with lineup combos in game. That, to me, was a big problem. We keep saying hopefully the players grow, but also hopefully coach learns what worked and what didn’t and what can he get better at.

I think some of our chemistry and consistency issues are on the coach too. Right up until the last game of the season he didn’t have a set lineup or rotation. He played with lineup combos in game. That, to me, was a big problem. We keep saying hopefully the players grow, but also hopefully coach learns what worked and what didn’t and what can he get better at.

Or he was playing what he felt was a better lineup against different opponents strengths.

• Like 1

Yea how’d that work out? 

When the players have great games or make the winning plays the coach is a genius or knows what he is doing and when they lose the coach can get all the criticism and does not know what he is doing. Like I have said before wonder how the Duke coach, the Calipari’s and other great coaches would do with this UB lineup??? The beauty of sports and all us fans being armchair quarterbacks. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, John said:

When the players have great games or make the winning plays the coach is a genius or knows what he is doing and when they lose the coach can get all the criticism and does not know what he is doing. Like I have said before wonder how the Duke coach, the Calipari’s and other great coaches would do with this UB lineup??? The beauty of sports and all us fans being armchair quarterbacks. Go Bulls!!!

I’m just saying blame can go all around. Just as we say the players need to improve in the off season....coaching staff needs to as well. If Whitesell puts the team in the best position to win then it falls on the players. If he doesn’t then he bares the responsibility.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John said:

Calipari is one of the greats though. The reason being, he gets the best out of his players, much like coach K. If Cal coached here last season, I can probably bet you that we wouldn’t have dropped a few stinkers the way we did. I think Whitesell is pretty good though. I just question the game plan at times, but I can give him the benefit of the doubt because it was his first year, lots of new faces. But I don’t really see him significantly declining unless he can’t retain players.

I hate the fantasy scenarios where oh if coach K or Calipari coached UB last season bla bla bla. Stop it. They aren’t coaching us. And if they were, we would be a top 10 team. Why? Bc they would recruit the best players in the country. So where does it begin or end? Oh if coach K starting coaching us when Oats left? At the beginning of the season? Middle of the season? Enough with the hypothetical fantasy scenarios. I make my observations and comments based on what I see in reality. Reality was there was enough fault to go around from players to coaches as to why we weren’t more consistent. Hopefully all parties involved grow and pinpoint how, where and when they can be better. For better or worse Whitesell is our coach. He has my support, I’ve never called for his head, just have questioned some of his decision making. And at the end of the game watch and said, did he put the players in the best position to win the game? If he did then it’s on the players. And if he didn’t then it’s on him. And there was both last season. Sorry for the rant. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I hate the fantasy scenarios where oh if coach K or Calipari coached UB last season bla bla bla. Stop it. They aren’t coaching us. And if they were, we would be a top 10 team. Why? Bc they would recruit the best players in the country. So where does it begin or end? Oh if coach K starting coaching us when Oats left? At the beginning of the season? Middle of the season? Enough with the hypothetical fantasy scenarios. I make my observations and comments based on what I see in reality. Reality was there was enough fault to go around from players to coaches as to why we weren’t more consistent. Hopefully all parties involved grow and pinpoint how, where and when they can be better. For better or worse Whitesell is our coach. He has my support, I’ve never called for his head, just have questioned some of his decision making. And at the end of the game watch and said, did he put the players in the best position to win the game? If he did then it’s on the players. And if he didn’t then it’s on him. And there was both last season. Sorry for the rant. 

Rants are okay but I look at it like they are are opinions and we all have opinions and whether right or wrong they are our opinions. When you say we make our observations and comments based on what you see in reality is a good thought. But all different opinions are based on what we see as reality in our own thoughts and life styles. Again we are not going to see things the same and that does not make your opinions or mine right or wrong. That is the beauty of sports  and in many cases shows the passion of so many fans. I just try to keep it in perspective that it is sports and not life and death. I truly try to listen to all opinions and try to keep an open mind. Still will look forward to next season and hope for more success and more important health for all and some return to normal lifetime experiences. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree with most of what you said. All good on the rant, that’s what this place is for. 

Specifically on Whitesell, I also have questioned some of his decisions but I also admit that he knows way more about basketball than me. I think he definitely has a couple of major pros/cons that stood out after the first season.

Pro: The players seem to really like him, I think it is a good look for our program to have no outgoing transfers at this point (not counting Bivens because I think he was non-scholarship)

Con: the energy level is just not there. Maybe we are just used to Oats and Hurley who are firecrackers, but he is too quiet. 

Pro: In a year where we lost 5 of our top 7 players, we still came out with 20 wins and tied for the 3rd best record in conference. If this is our floor, that isn’t too shabby.

Con: we supposedly had the most talent in the MAC this season if you go strictly off rankings. But our team didn’t play like it.

Pro: He initially pulled in Chanse and Josiah who are highly rated. Josiah decommitted but based on leaving his high school it sounds like there might be other stuff going on.

Con: I think we still haven’t replaced Hunter, not sure what they are waiting for on that front. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

Pro: In a year where we lost 5 of our top 7 players, we still came out with 20 wins and tied for the 3rd best record in conference. If this is our floor, that isn’t too shabby.

This.  Absolutely this. 

Add in the fact that he recruited in only one month because the old staff told all the recruits that UB invested in signing to bolt from the program.

He took a rebuilding team which would be expected to have a big drop off, removed the recruiting class, and put one together in a month.  And at the end of the season had 20 wins and went 7-4 in games against top-150 teams and beat our rival Bonas.  

The inconsistency was frustrating at times but this season was very positive overall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

This.  Absolutely this. 

Add in the fact that he recruited in only one month because the old staff told all the recruits that UB invested in signing to bolt from the program.

He took a rebuilding team which would be expected to have a big drop off, removed the recruiting class, and put one together in a month.  And at the end of the season had 20 wins and went 7-4 in games against top-150 teams and beat our rival Bonas.  

The inconsistency was frustrating at times but this season was very positive overall.

They went 3-6 against teams 165-205 which is unacceptable, including having the worst home record in the MAC and losing in the first round to the 12 seed not qualifying for the tournament.

This is not a floor I'd like to be a part of, especially after the last 5 years

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

They went 3-6 against teams 165-205 which is unacceptable, including having the worst home record in the MAC and losing in the first round to the 12 seed not qualifying for the tournament.

This is not a floor I'd like to be a part of, especially after the last 5 years

Talk about no concept of history.  

This team is comparable to two years in your glory five. 

You talk about kenpom 138 and 122 rankings like they are so great and 148 like it was horrible.  

This year’s team could very well beat Oats first and second year teams.  This year’s team had more regular season wins and also beat their local rivals.  

Let’s be honest here.  You only care about that MAC auto bid.  You would be fine with being a worse team if they won the MAC and got to play in the tournament.  But I don’t want to be an Iona or a Winthrop who only makes the tournament because you win a weak conference tournament.  I want to actually be a good program.  I would rather be St Mary’s and miss the tournament due to a selection committee decision after an upset loss than be pretending to be good simply because I beat Regional Great Lakes State University.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Talk about no concept of history.  

This team is comparable to two years in your glory five. 

You talk about kenpom 138 and 122 rankings like they are so great and 148 like it was horrible.  

This year’s team could very well beat Oats first and second year teams.  This year’s team had more regular season wins and also beat their local rivals.  

Let’s be honest here.  You only care about that MAC auto bid.  You would be fine with being a worse team if they won the MAC and got to play in the tournament.  But I don’t want to be an Iona or a Winthrop who only makes the tournament because you win a weak conference tournament.  I want to actually be a good program.  I would rather be St Mary’s and miss the tournament due to a selection committee decision after an upset loss than be pretending to be good simply because I beat Regional Great Lakes State University.   

No concept of history? I sat through 4 terrible years of Reggie teams. Also, just because they were bad from 06-12 doesn’t mean that’s the only history we have to default to. Can we go back to a sellout MAC tournament home game against NIU? There was no one there against Miami. We can’t pick and choose what counts. 

Furthermore, there was no way they beat Oats’ first year team, that’s silly. Year 2 was comparable but Oats had already proven to do more under similar “decommit” circumstances (Hurley actually took their current best player too). 

Also, I’m talking about having the worst home record in the conference and being 3-6 against the middle of their schedule rankings. 

The momentum is now. They still don’t have a recruiting assistant coach/coordinator, these circumstances are exactly why you needed to fill that job right away. Other teams can still text/FaceTime and have multiple people dedicated to it. 

I agree with your last part. That’s part of the reason I’m arguing this. As of right now, we aren’t in that St. Mary’s discussion and we very well should be. I agree about not being Winthrop and beating Great Lakes State University, but how about beating #12 Miami at home? We took back-to-back tournament team/wins and weren’t even close to an NIT bid.

Edited by Kevin

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

They still don’t have a recruiting assistant coach/coordinator, these circumstances are exactly why you needed to fill that job right away. Other teams can still text/FaceTime and have multiple people dedicated to it. 

Explain how the lack of an assistant in charge of recruiting prevents the rest of the current staff from recruiting? Is there some new rule that only allows a recruiting assistant to text/ Facetime, especially since you say other teams have multiple people doing that now?

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Explain how the lack of an assistant in charge of recruiting prevents the rest of the current staff from recruiting? Is there some new rule that only allows a recruiting assistant to text/ Facetime, especially since you say other teams have multiple people doing that now?

There are only a few people on a staff allowed to recruit, as I know you well know. Explain how 1 HC + 2 AC (all with plenty of other duties) is the same as 1 HC + 3 AC (1 whose only job is to recruit)? It's a deficit, no matter how you want to sugar coat it.

Also, I'm not sure, but can't you ask compliance yourself?

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

There are only a few people on a staff allowed to recruit, as I know you well know. Explain how 1 HC + 2 AC (all with plenty of other duties) is the same as 1 HC + 3 AC (1 whose only job is to recruit)? It's a deficit, no matter how you want to sugar coat it.

You’re right, it’s absolutely a detriment. I can’t even imagine all the duties the coaches have to juggle on a daily basis let alone adding recruiting to the mix. I’d argue that in the current climate however it’s not as big of a deal. With the entire country having ground to a halt, you have to believe Whitesell and his staff have more time to network, look at tape, contact recruits about interest, and pitch the school to interested players. It’s a whole different world at the moment, and while having a set recruiter would be great it’s not like the others don’t have time for it now. 

1 hour ago, UB05 said:
1 hour ago, Kevin said:

You’re right, it’s absolutely a detriment. I can’t even imagine all the duties the coaches have to juggle on a daily basis let alone adding recruiting to the mix. I’d argue that in the current climate however it’s not as big of a deal. With the entire country having ground to a halt, you have to believe Whitesell and his staff have more time to network, look at tape, contact recruits about interest, and pitch the school to interested players. It’s a whole different world at the moment, and while having a set recruiter would be great it’s not like the others don’t have time for it now. 

@UB05 is correct, right now this is not a major issue.  The team is not going through conditioning every day right now.  They are not game planing.  Would it be better if the full complement of people who can recruit were available yes.  With as little going on now, besides the allowable contacts during a dead period being down one person is as big as problem if this were normal times.  If it was normal times the extra assistant coach would probably have already been replaced.

Also once the season ends the most important thing the entire coaching staff does is recruit, as was seen last year after Oats left.