Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Alumni Arena

weareub46

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Gonzaga said it took 10-12 years of winning before they could schedule home games.  The closest they got was scheduling a game in Seattle, which would be like UB scheduling a home game in NYC.  So maybe that's what is needed.  Schedule a home game in NYC and then get a top-100 team to agree to that. 

So we could have 1-2k UB fans attend a game in NYC instead of in Buffalo?

12 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

So we could have 1-2k UB fans attend a game in NYC instead of in Buffalo?

The difference is that the top-100 team that would agree to a game in NYC is a more powerful brand name than the one that agrees to a game in Buffalo.

If alumni are only going to turn out if it is a big brand name then NYC alums might turn out to see the Bulls play.

Georgia, Memphis, Missouri, Stanford, Dayton, Georgetown, South Carolina, Providence, and Notre Dame are NOT going to agree to a game in Buffalo.  

But all of those teams might agree to a game in NYC where Buffalo is the home team.  

Is playing those teams in front of 2-5k Buffalo fans better than playing SouthernMiss, Northern Kentucky, or Lipscomb in front of 2-5k people in Buffalo?

Just now, Jeseph said:

Playing at home is better than playing in NYC.

I thought people were saying we needed to go on the road to play any team.  Play Syracuse.  Play Marquette.  Play West Virginia.  Play whoever is a big name and play them anywhere.

Now you're saying not to do that?  You think home games are more important?

Just now, dutchcountry7 said:

I thought people were saying we needed to go on the road to play any team.  Play Syracuse.  Play Marquette.  Play West Virginia.  Play whoever is a big name and play them anywhere.

Now you're saying not to do that?  You think home games are more important?

Yes, I think home games are likely the best way to drum up attendance... at home.

2 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Does anyone know how student tickets get treated in the equation?

1) What are the max amount of students that can go to a game

I don't think they've turned people away since I've been here.  Running track is where the overflow goes.

This may be tested this year. We can't cram 8k people into that arena.

8 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Gonzaga said it took 10-12 years of winning before they could schedule home games.  The closest they got was scheduling a game in Seattle, which would be like UB scheduling a home game in NYC.  So maybe that's what is needed.  Schedule a home game in NYC and then get a top-100 team to agree to that. 

And exactly where would this "home" game be played?  Taking a wide definition of New York City, from MSG to Barclays to the Nassau County Mausoleum Coliseum  to the Prudential Center which one of these facilities would be cheap enough to guarantee that UB would break even on the  road home game?

10 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

And exactly where would this "home" game be played?  Taking a wide definition of New York City, from MSG to Barclays to the Nassau County Mausoleum Coliseum  to the Prudential Center which one of these facilities would be cheap enough to guarantee that UB would break even on the  road home game?

Barclays or MSG.  

If done as part of a Alumni event that reaches out to the NY Metro alumni base, it shouldn't be a problem.  

Remember, you're not playing a off brand team.  You will be playing a brand name team that will draw their own fans too.  

LIU-Brooklyn and St Francis have hosted home games at Barclays.  LIU hosted Niagara there.  

Saint Louis and Pitt just played there.  You don't think Saint Louis has more local alumni and fans than UB, do you?

Yes, it would take a commitment from multiple departments and is not the type of thing Buffalo has been willing to do in the past but it can be successful.  

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Barclays or MSG.  

If done as part of a Alumni event that reaches out to the NY Metro alumni base, it shouldn't be a problem.  

Remember, you're not playing a off brand team.  You will be playing a brand name team that will draw their own fans too.  

LIU-Brooklyn and St Francis have hosted home games at Barclays.  LIU hosted Niagara there.  

Saint Louis and Pitt just played there.  You don't think Saint Louis has more local alumni and fans than UB, do you?

Yes, it would take a commitment from multiple departments and is not the type of thing Buffalo has been willing to do in the past but it can be successful.  

St. Louis and Pitt played there as part of a tournament like UB played in Belfast.  It was not them scheduling a home game there.

4 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

St. Louis and Pitt played there as part of a tournament like UB played in Belfast.  It was not them scheduling a home game there.

That is correct.  But it was the only game as part of the event.  The Gazelle group made that one game a money maker for their company.  If they can skim a margin from it, on top of paying both teams to play there.  Then UB can cover expenses for a game at the venue. 

On 11/19/2018 at 9:10 PM, rma said:

I don't think AA is a bad arena.  It's the best D1 basketball arena in upstate NY.  It doesn't get as loud as Bona or is as big as Cuse, but I think it's the nicest.  Canisius and Niagara remind me of my high school gym.

Want to complain about concessions? Bona doesn't even take credit cards.

I do want to complain about concessions - they are horrendous. Too few registers result in too long lines. The food is generally gross. Does it send fans running to the door? No, but it certainly doesn’t add anything positive to the overall experience. So, what about parking? It is completely inadequate, especially when there is an event at the Center for the Arts. Even worse, the pathetic attempt by campus police to streamline postgame traffic has only made it worse and is a frustrating experience. Despite these irritants, I go to every game with my family. Good basketball at a decent price is good enough reason for us.

Speaking of H.S. gyms pretending to be NCAA D1 gyms, we went to the UB women’s game at Canisius. Ugh - it’s an ugly, tiny and hot dump. The concessions don’t even rise to H.S. level, and for some reason Canisius believes turning the PA system to 11 is a good thing (it’s not). AA is a palace by comparison.

2 hours ago, rma said:

I’m going to start parking on the north side of campus. A little longer to walk, but much easier to leave. Furnas lot would be the closest

I definitely recommend this and is what I do when I get back to UB for games. Park at Furnas lot, grab food in the Union or the Commons on your walk over. Much easier leaving at the end of games and can quickly hop on the 990 to head back to Rochester.

4 hours ago, RochBull said:

I definitely recommend this and is what I do when I get back to UB for games. Park at Furnas lot, grab food in the Union or the Commons on your walk over. Much easier leaving at the end of games and can quickly hop on the 990 to head back to Rochester.

Happy to see some are giving other alternatives to parking and I agree the concessions have to be improved.  Long lines and prices. I am hoping someone on the UB staff see they have to make changes. The basketball side has improved now it is time for the concessions and parking to change. Go Bulls!!!!