Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB @ Temple - Sept. 8 - 3:30pm (ESPN3)

We're 4.5 point underdogs for tomorrow which I think is right even though Temple lost to Nova last week.  Nova really seems to get up to play Temple.  I'm pretty sure that Nova beat Temple the year we had the Hail Mary.  

Tyree might need to run this week.  I'm sure there will be plays that break down.  Expect Temple to come after Jackson to disrupt his rhythm.

Looking forward to a bounce back game from Reed.  We will need to have a balanced attack if we want to come away with a win.

Don't notice any changes in the 2 deep. https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/u/l/cjugp4czupx3wg/gamenotes_temple_2018.pdf

Some guys I'll be paying special attention to this week.

Jared Patterson - How will the true freshman in his first FBS game.

Ledarius Mack - Is he good?  I'm curious.  I think we all are.

George Rushing - Will be establish himself as that 3rd threat?

KJ Osborne - He's just an exciting player.  Looking for him to take it to the house on punt returns or in the open field.

OL - Can we get some push up front against a big front line?  Might be tough going for this unit.

Secondary - Can they play at the same speed they did in week 1?  Or will they be the ones chasing?

Mitcheson - Will we kick a FG when we are at the 30 yard line?  Or is this still 4 down territory?  Can he reward Coach Leipold if he kicks it?

Nope, we are 0-2 all time against Temple in years where the lost to Nova and later played UB. Nova beat Temple in 1970 and 2009. In 2009, Nova won 27-24, and Temple beat us 37-13. Temple went 9-4 that year and Nova won the FCS national championship.

Anywho, Temple Football Forever is banking on yards, and not yards per carry as their beacon of hope:

The game will simply come down to this: Temple exploiting the one weakness Buffalo has demonstrated not only this year but over the past 13 games: Run defense. Against a very bad FCS team, Delaware State, the Bulls yielded 199 yards rushing...Buffalo is ranked No. 95 against the run... Last year, the Bulls were even worse—ranked No. 96th (195.3 ypg) against the run in a 12-game season.

30 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Nope, we are 0-2 all time against Temple in years where the lost to Nova and later played UB. Nova beat Temple in 1970 and 2009. In 2009, Nova won 27-24, and Temple beat us 37-13. Temple went 9-4 that year and Nova won the FCS national championship.

Anywho, Temple Football Forever is banking on yards, and not yards per carry as their beacon of hope:

UB is 62nd in yards per carry this year (3.69), and was 70th last year (4.38). If Temple's road to victory is 3 yards to a cloud of death I think I like our chances.

Excited but nervous. I think we should throw in some designed runs but we need to also keep Tyree healthy. Gotta find that balance. I agree we need more push with the veteran OL. Gotta get Reed and the running going. Osborn started a little rough last game but got back in the groove and had that awesome catch in the back of the endzone. I think both him and Rushing are going to do some great things this year. If we can hang tough and play fast on D I think we got this but Temple will def be out for blood. Lets go bulls!

Not sure who these two announcers are but they are absolutely atrocious. The color commentator is particularly irritating, sharing his wisdom by saying, after every miscue, something like “the player needs to make that catch, etc”. Ugh.  

Edited by ubfan75

I couldn't stand how many times they said "money down" was driving me nuts haha

WOW though. Got a little hail mary payback but neither of these teams wanted to quit. What a nail biter. Love the perseverance out of this team. Hoping Temple wins out to make this win look better. 

On to EMU who just upset Purdue today. Let's get a critical MAC win at home!

2 hours ago, rma said:

We had quite the crowd cheering in 101 and 102. Great time and good UB turnout. Let’s get some more wins. It’s gonna be a hell of a season.

Ha. Same section. I was in 101. Had 7 kids in my group. Glad that my kids got to experience a win in dramatic fashion. 

Kevin Marks looks really good. Did Reed get hurt? Once Marks came in, the ground game just opened up. The kid just looks stronger and faster than the other guys. After that game, I would guess he might have just won the starting job. 

Having said that, I really thought both our Oline and Dline had a good game  i expected Temple to push us around up front but we held up well  I was pretty impressed with the run D today.

Mitcheson really dug is in a hole by missing the XP, but he changed the game again by making that 46 yarder. Let’s hope that gets him going. He seems to have plenty of leg. Even his kickoffs go to the end zone. 

What was the penalty that gave us the first down on the last drive? Man, thank goodness for that flag. Without it, I think we are looking at a different result. 

What a game by Cam Lewis  2 ints. The secondary was really good again  we had 1 mistake on that long pass up the middle.

coaching was really good. Team looks very disciplined. No silly penalties. I do question going for 2 on the second TD and not going for 3 inside the 20. Hope the long kick gives the coaches confidence in the kicker  

KJ is going to take one back this year. I see that extra gear and elusiveness. 

Our team was better today. Temple had no offense. It would have been really sad if we lost today. We deserved to win. So glad we did. 

4B0F4434-20F3-4D04-A433-DAD36B15C034.jpeg

1 hour ago, weareub46 said:

Admin I think that flag was a roughing the passer but I don't remember seeing them replay it. Was a lucky one for sure. 

I actually agree with going for 2 on the second TD with a suspect kicker. Not taking the FG later in the game was rough though

It was a roughing the passer. A friend at the game said they hit Tyree low, for whatever that is worth. Was strange that such a huge call in the game and no replay on ESPN3. Gotta figure they had at least one camera on the QB.

12 hours ago, weareub46 said:

On bull run somebody said AJ was sick. Huge play at the end though. Highlight reel for sure

I read somewhere yesterday after the game that AJ had lost a close friend of his to violence and played with a heavy heart. In the 2nd half I looked for him to see if he was hurt because he missed a few series in the 3rd quarter  and the offense sputtered and finally he was back out there with under 6:00 to go in the third. Great finish, the way my son and I cheered it reminded me of Detroit in 2008. Thrilled to be 2-0, looking forward to watching this team's progression at Rutgers in 2 weeks.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:22 AM, MKBullsfan said:

Anyone know if Temple had to pay us as visitors for this game? If they did, that would make this W even sweeter. 

Yes and no.

It is a home/home agreement with Temple returning to Buffalo next year.  However, home/home agreements still have money change hands to cover the cost of travel and to not disrupt budgets year to year.  Typically the visiting team is paid $200-$300k but then Buffalo will have to pay the same amount to Temple next year.  So it is a wash. 

There is no big money like when the Bulls go to Ohio State and are getting $1.8 million. 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:32 AM, mh55 said:

Pretty quiet here. Why do I get the feeling UB fans have the same quesy feeling as our troops when they boarded ships for Operation Overlord ? Did you know the Allies brought some 30,000 stretchers to Normandy with them ? How many will be on hand for Bull players ???

Ha, I was going to say the same about you. You don't seem to be the type to run and hide after talking smack and getting slapped down. Or maybe I figured you wrong?  We all talk. That's half the fun. But someone with integrity would own up after the game. #TempleFluff