Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Reason For Hunter Jenkins Resignation

As a part of the process, the former assistant coach contacted one of the student-athlete’s former teammates to write a letter in support of the student-athlete’s waiver request. The former coach and the former teammate discussed the content of the statement, and the former coach drafted the statement.

According to the agreement, the former teammate did not answer the former assistant coach’s calls to get the statement submitted. Then, without the former teammate’s knowledge, the former assistant coach created an email account using the former teammate’s name and submitted the statement to the associate athletics director for compliance, violating NCAA ethical conduct rules.

The associate athletics director for compliance responded to the submission to request the former teammate sign a copy of the statement. In response, the former assistant coach, posing as the former teammate, continued to violate ethical conduct rules by signing and resubmitting the statement.

Who was the former teammate?

In addition to the student-athlete, the men's basketball program recruited the former teammate and another transfer prospect from the student-athlete’s previous institution. The assistant coach previously worked at the student-athlete’s former institution as a graduate assistant and had good working relationships with the men's basketball staff. Additionally, the assistant coach knew the former teammate because he was an incoming freshman during the assistant coach's last summer at the student-athlete’s former institution.

Just now, UB05 said:

That is absolutely crazy. Who forges a letter of recommendation thinking that’s a good idea??

Somebody who's in their young 20's getting paid a shit ton of money without a single concern for their future career prospects.

13 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

So in laymens terms, what does the probation and recruiting sanctions mean? How bad will it affect us? 

From my understanding the probation means we have to call mom to let her know where we are going and if we're going to be out late.

The rest of them are fairly self-explanatory and while not dooming they definitely put us at a disadvantage.

Then you wonder why BB does what he does, whether you agree with it or not, it's to help prevent this type of "stuff". Is commenting on twitter equivalent to this gross abuse? No, but it all can add up, especially when now there is a reason to keep a closer eye on the UB program. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Then you wonder why BB does what he does, whether you agree with it or not, it's to help prevent this type of "stuff". Is commenting on twitter equivalent to this gross abuse? No, but it all can add up, especially when now there is a reason to keep a closer eye on the UB program. 

Oof. No BrooklynBull is still entitled and a narc, this is something completely different and does not correlate at all 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've read through both UB's story and the actual legal release, I'm a little confused.  Jenkins was trying to get a recruit's (presumably Mballa) transfer waiver through.  Jenkins then wrote a letter to the NCAA, from the perspective of the recruit's former teammate (presumably a former Texas Tech player who was also transferring) in support of Mballa's transfer waiver, and forged the former Texas Tech player's signature on the letter.  Then the letter was sent to the NCAA with the rest of the info for the transfer waiver?

Perhaps I don't know enough about the transfer waiver process, but I thought it was mostly contingent on the school from which the player is transferring (i.e. Texas Tech), their coaching staff and athletics administration.  But apparently teams also submit essentially letters of recommendation from the player's teammates?  Am I understanding this right?

7 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Oof. No BrooklynBull is still entitled and a narc, this is something completely different and does not correlate at all 

Correct.

Cheating recruiting coordinator and sending in fake letters as another student is gross and can't believe that behavior wasn't caught before the fake email account was made.

but this does =/=

All D1 teams having twitter fan accounts wishing student athletes well and to come to their school.

• Like 1

I don't imagine tweeting at recruits to come to UB will ever cause an issue, but concern is reasonable when:

1.) A history of violations is cited as an aggravating factor in the NCAA's report which BrooklynBull expressed concern about.

2.) There were people on here saying a certain assistant coach was behind one of the accounts tweeting at recruits (which is another violation)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Correct.

Cheating recruiting coordinator and sending in fake letters as another student is gross and can't believe that behavior wasn't caught before the fake email account was made.

but this does =/=

All D1 teams having twitter fan accounts wishing student athletes well and to come to their school.

I seriously can’t wrap my head around the fact that there’s people on here - GROWN ADULTS - telling on people they don’t even know because they expressed support for a possible future Bull.
A huge part of a recruit’s decision is feeling wanted, recruiting is becoming more and more influenced by social media. These people claim to be fans but their behavior is potentially setting the program back and putting us at a disadvantage. Also as the program grows, who in their right mind would want to become a fan of a team where the culture involves being narc’d on for saying nice things to a kid to make them feel wanted? 
It’s ridiculous and it’s being carried out by a “fan” with a superiority complex because they donate money and think because of that they’re a better fan than someone else. 

5 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I don't imagine tweeting at recruits to come to UB will ever cause an issue, but concern is reasonable when:

1.) A history of violations is cited as an aggravating factor in the NCAA's report which BrooklynBull expressed concern about.

2.) There were people on here saying a certain assistant coach was behind one of the accounts tweeting at recruits (which is another violation)

This is a genuine question. Say there’s a recruit, and this recruit has 10 offers. He trims his list down to 5 schools and in response to his trimmed list, fans from each of the 5 remaining schools respond to his tweet with support. Hopeful that he picks their team. It doesn’t go any further than just saying nice things to express that their school’s fan base wants that player and is excited by the thought of that player picking their school. 5 different schools having fans do this, what exactly is the NCAA going to do? It happens with every recruit and even happens with players announcing their commitments to JUCO schools. So my question, what exactly is the NCAA going to do?

In my opinion and through personal experience and using common sense, they won’t do anything. So now say of those 5 schools on the recruits trimmed down list, 4 of them are super excited and supportive and the last one is strangely quiet. What do you think that recruit is going to think? If I was in his shoes, I would become disinterested because clearly I’m not wanted there. This is exactly what BB is doing by reporting people for something as little as being supportive 

7 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I seriously can’t wrap my head around the fact that there’s people on here - GROWN ADULTS - telling on people they don’t even know because they expressed support for a possible future Bull.
A huge part of a recruit’s decision is feeling wanted, recruiting is becoming more and more influenced by social media. These people claim to be fans but their behavior is potentially setting the program back and putting us at a disadvantage. Also as the program grows, who in their right mind would want to become a fan of a team where the culture involves being narc’d on for saying nice things to a kid to make them feel wanted? 
It’s ridiculous and it’s being carried out by a “fan” with a superiority complex because they donate money and think because of that they’re a better fan than someone else. 

I agree with this, but the rules haven't adjusted to social media in that way. Fans can like, comment but boosters cannot. Therefore if you've never given $$ to ub athletics,  then have a blast. Again, whether we agree with it or not, now ub will have someone looking over their shoulders now because of a very poor decision by someone who is no longer there. Luckily it was caught in a quick enough timeframe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I agree with this, but the rules haven't adjusted to social media in that way. Fans can like, comment but boosters cannot. Therefore if you've never given $$ to ub athletics,  then have a blast. Again, whether we agree with it or not, now ub will have someone looking over their shoulders now because of a very poor decision by someone who is no longer there. Luckily it was caught in a quick enough timeframe.

To be honest, I didn’t consider the booster part. I get so frustrated when I see the holier than thou mindset that I don’t think that far into it and you’re correct. However, not everyone is a booster and I feel like BB is just reporting everyone

Edited by 961819

5 minutes ago, 961819 said:

This is a genuine question. Say there’s a recruit, and this recruit has 10 offers. He trims his list down to 5 schools and in response to his trimmed list, fans from each of the 5 remaining schools respond to his tweet with support. Hopeful that he picks their team. It doesn’t go any further than just saying nice things to express that their school’s fan base wants that player and is excited by the thought of that player picking their school. 5 different schools having fans do this, what exactly is the NCAA going to do? It happens with every recruit and even happens with players announcing their commitments to JUCO schools. So my question, what exactly is the NCAA going to do?

In my opinion and through personal experience and using common sense, they won’t do anything. So now say of those 5 schools on the recruits trimmed down list, 4 of them are super excited and supportive and the last one is strangely quiet. What do you think that recruit is going to think? If I was in his shoes, I would become disinterested because clearly I’m not wanted there. This is exactly what BB is doing by reporting people for something as little as being supportive 

I mean I agree with you as I stated in the original post.  I'm not here to defend the ethics of the NCAA, but the rules are the rules. I'd rather not see harsher punishments to the programs we all obviously care about because boosters have the insatiable desire to tweet at 17-20 year olds.  You can even like and RT their content to "show love", it's a weird line but the NCAA suspends kids for playing in charity exhibitions over the summer, so I don't know that we're safe from NCAA BS when we're already on probation.

• Like 1