Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Reason For Hunter Jenkins Resignation

Here’s yet another article...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29078661/buffalo-hit-probation-forged-documents

My 2 cents into the fray...we all knew something was up when Jenkins was on leave then eventually fired. This is not what I want for our program. It’s definitely a black eye. Did it turn out to be the most serious violation, no. But it was a violation nonetheless. Our penalties aren’t so bad when you break them down. There was no loss of scholarship which is the biggest thing. 

Now onto the bigger issue, the claim that Jenkins’s action was authorized by someone higher up. This is disturbing. Yes, the investigation yielded nothing to implicate Whitesell, his staff or anyone else higher up. However when you’re a veteran head coach having just taken over a program and hired this guy and this happens...it’s bad business. 

I gotta believe that only Jenkins was involved, as the investigation yielded no further evidence. We did self report. But we gotta clean this up.  I would hope and expect that a coach have more control over things than this. And yes I know this wasn’t a death penalty situation. We will be under the watchful eye now with our probation. So we can’t afford anymore infractions. 

BTW the forged documentation was never submitted as part of Mballa’s waiver request. And in the end played no part in him getting clearance. So what Jenkins did was plain stupid and apparently wasn’t even needed.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

HJ seemed like a decent guy in the brief time that he was here. We have no idea what truly went down and likely never will know the details. Regardless, the investigation has gone on and completed with HJ being the only one implicated. For that reason, I stand behind the current staff and will believe that they were not part of whatever happened. It's kind of crazy that two young guys in the WNY bball area both left town quickly in a month's time this past season. Belein was at NU and gone just as quick as he came, same with HJ. 

He was a decent guy for sure, he grinded hard and brought in a majority of that class + Chanse.

I have said many times that I don't know the exact specifics of what went down too, but i caught wind of it last year when many chalked it up as just a personal situation. 

To your surprise, I'd prefer all of this ends here and no one else knew anything. I just personally don't think that's true. Regardless if future punishments are handed out (which i pray there isn't), I think it'll be hard for some of us to believe he didn't get authorization to try and do this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Here’s yet another article...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29078661/buffalo-hit-probation-forged-documents

My 2 cents into the fray...we all knew something was up when Jenkins was on leave then eventually fired. This is not what I want for our program. It’s definitely a black eye. Did it turn out to be the most serious violation, no. But it was a violation nonetheless. Our penalties aren’t so bad when you break them down. There was no loss of scholarship which is the biggest thing. 

Now onto the bigger issue, the claim that Jenkins’s action was authorized by someone higher up. This is disturbing. Yes, the investigation yielded nothing to implicate Whitesell, his staff or anyone else higher up. However when you’re a veteran head coach having just taken over a program and hired this guy and this happens...it’s bad business. 

I gotta believe that only Jenkins was involved, as the investigation yielded no further evidence. We did self report. But we gotta clean this up.  I would hope and expect that a coach have more control over things than this. And yes I know this wasn’t a death penalty situation. We will be under the watchful eye now with our probation. So we can’t afford anymore infractions. 

BTW the forged documentation was never submitted as part of Mballa’s waiver request. And in the end played no part in him getting clearance. So what Jenkins did was plain stupid and apparently wasn’t even needed.

This is very rational. Good post. 

I think it sums up both sides of the coin.

I do think the team needed to pivot and that's why Mballa went down to the day before the exhibition game and figured out a way to get it approved but whatever this referral was, Jenkins must have thought it was make or break with appropriate "authorization". 

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

He was a decent guy for sure, he grinded hard and brought in a majority of that class + Chanse.

Agree. I was excited about the prospects of which prospects Jenkins could get us. He was young and relatable to players which was the perfect counter to an older Whitesell and Thorpe. But if this was the way he was going to conduct his business then I’m glad it played out this way rather than some bigger violation in the further bc we landed a top 50 player.

Edited by DooleyBull06

Anyone who would try to connect this to the coaching staff clearly has an agenda.  

The task of getting the waiver documentation was delegated to an assistant and the assistant wasn’t getting what he needed.  Rather than speaking up, he didn’t want to fail at the task and look like he couldn’t do his job.  So he forged the documents and submissions.  

This was a young kid who felt he had a big break to land a good job and didn’t want to ask for help because he was afraid it would seem like he was in over his head.  

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Anyone who would try to connect this to the coaching staff clearly has an agenda.  

The task of getting the waiver documentation was delegated to an assistant and the assistant wasn’t getting what he needed.  Rather than speaking up, he didn’t want to fail at the task and look like he couldn’t do his job.  So he forged the documents and submissions.  

This was a young kid who felt he had a big break to land a good job and didn’t want to ask for help because he was afraid it would seem like he was in over his head.  

Followed by further lying to the AP about authorization?

How do you know this is how it went? 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Followed by further lying to the AP about authorization?

I'm sure he was authorized by the student athlete for a statement.

He may or may not have had authorization from somebody in UB athletics to get creative with such a statement.

I do not think the student athlete authorized him to forge an email and signature.

4 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

So we are on probation until April 2021, Does that mean we are not eligible for the Mac and ncaa tournament? 

There is no post season ban.  

They found the athletic department identified the issue and responded appropriately.  

One bad actor which was removed.  

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Got it, wasn’t sure on the extent of what went into the probation. Sounds like we got off easy.

Thankfully we self-reported the incident. Also thanks to Chris Beard for calling Whitesell and telling him about the issue. The Buffalo News article is pretty in depth I’d recommend checking it out if you have the time.