Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Asst coach

Seems like a very good hire. Would be a little strange for him to go from up and coming juco head coach to a position equivalent to Jenkins old role. Nevertheless, happy he’s apart of the staff in whatever capacity that may be. 

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Seems like a very good hire. Would be a little strange for him to go from up and coming juco head coach to a position equivalent to Jenkins old role. Nevertheless, happy he’s apart of the staff in whatever capacity that may be. 

Guy coached one of the best Juco teams in the country, means he was probably decent enough when it came to attracting talent and developing players. Zachery according to himself and a few sources, was a 4 star out of HS. He was able to attract him to his team. Foley also had some of the guys on his team go to high major schools. I think this is a great hire for the Bulls!

7 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Anyone notice how so many of our coaches have been packaged deals with recruits?

We sure have been paying a lot of coaches to bring players with them to Buffalo...

I think that's how it works these days. Just like any business, relationships matter. These coaches are looking for the next step in their career. In less than 10 years Oats went from a HS Math Teacher/Head Coach to a multi-million dollar contract at a major university. I believe a lot of mid-majors go this route and I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as the coach actually does the job and continues to bring in new recruits. Larger schools like Duke, etc. just bring in former big name players that will awe kids and parents with their name to get them to their school. Same idea. Need to be attractive to the players. Plus with a lot of kids, relating to a 20 something assistant might be easier than a 50-60 something head coach. Just like everything, it's all about relationships.

Plus we are getting quality recruits that are staying, speaks well of the coaching and culture. I see no problem with in as long as the rules are being followed. Better than paying a slimy AAU coach on the side to recommend a kid.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Anyone notice how so many of our coaches have been packaged deals with recruits?

We sure have been paying a lot of coaches to bring players with them to Buffalo...

This has been going for years.  When Julius Erving was coming out of Roosevelt High School his final two choices were UB and UMass.  He went to UMass when they hired his high school coach as an assistant.

Same thing with Danny Manning at Kansas.

There are other ways to influence recruiting.  David Thompson picked NC State over South Carolina (I believe) when the governor of North Carolina had the road he lived on paved.

I also would like to add that...while we haven’t gotten anyone to the NBA yet, we have pushed two head coaches to “greener” pastures. If we become known as a school that can create the next wanted HC that also gives us relevance and staying power as a mid major. Whitesell could end that run, as this (good or bad) could be his last coaching stop, but having younger coaches on the staff is a balance but also would recreate the promote from within and that coach move on cycle.

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I also would like to add that...while we haven’t gotten anyone to the NBA yet, we have pushed two head coaches to “greener” pastures. If we become known as a school that can create the next wanted HC that also gives us relevance and staying power as a mid major. Whitesell could end that run, as this (good or bad) could be his last coaching stop, but having younger coaches on the staff is a balance but also would recreate the promote from within and that coach move on cycle.

I don't know of Sharkey's long term goals, but whenever FLJ retires or leaves UB (looking more like the former than latter) she could probably step in. She's been on the staff for a while now.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

We have placed two people in the NBA.  The two were Sam Pellom and CJ Massinberg.  I saw Pellom play in Madison Square Garden when he was with the Hawks.  Below is CJ with the Nets from last October.  Sorry, no pictures of Pellom as there were no cell phones with cameras in the early 1980s.

cj nets.jpg

Edited by BrooklynBull

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

We have placed two people in the NBA.  The two were Sam Pellom and CJ Massinberg.  I saw Pellom play in Madison Square Garden when he was with the Hawks.  Below is CJ with the Nets from last October.  Sorry, no pictures of Pellom as there were no cell phones with cameras in the early 1980s.

cj nets.jpg

Ok since we are nitpicking...neither Pellom nor CJ were drafted. We’ve never had anyone drafted (that’s what I meant). CJ has also never played a regular season second as an NBA player. He’s a member of the Nets G league team, after being waived by the Nets in the preseason. He’s waiting on that call up lol. Pellom, to date, is the only player ever from UB to play in the NBA. 

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Ok since we are nitpicking...neither Pellom nor CJ were drafted. We’ve never had anyone drafted (that’s what I meant). CJ has also never played a regular season second as an NBA player. He’s a member of the Nets G league team, after being waived by the Nets in the preseason. He’s waiting on that call up lol. Pellom, to date, is the only player ever from UB to play in the NBA. 

Cierra Dillard was drafted!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1