Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo BBall Players March Madness

admin

All,

After I posted about CJ Massinburg possibly being the all-time greatest, I thought it would be fun if we did a tourney of some of the top players at UB basketball.

I've come up with 64 players.  Seeds 1-21 are based on players who have scored at least 1000 points.  Seeds 22-38 are all players inducted into the hall of fame, not scoring 1000 points.  Then 39-64 are players who have gotten some all-league award (I've also included Academic).

Each week, we will have a poll and the winning player will advance to the next round.  Here's my initial list.

image.thumb.png.2bece2be3172f64e6420ab4f110978bf.png

This is from this link. https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/1/9/93g4ebsaddbsf3/mbbrecordbook.pdf

• Like 1

I'll give everyone 1 week to comment on seeding and inclusion to the list.  If there is anyone that you think deserves to be in there, please post.  Guys like Jason Bird, Daniel Gilbert, Parnell Smith, BJ Walker and Titus Robinson didn't make the list because they either didn't score 1000 points or didn't make the all-MAC team or get an special award.

As good as Javon was no comparison to what CJ has accomplished. Hurley unfortunately didn’t do any coaching in the MAC quarterfinal as EMU was triple teaming Javon every time he got the ball. Consequently Javon kept forcing it and shot something like 1-12 from the field which along with Evans 0 for the game sunk what many thought would be the first UB team to dance. Meanwhile no comparison to  CJ’s impact on the program with a two time NCAA team and a top 25 national ranking. 

It is hard to run a poll on active players that is ongoing.  A good week (or bad week) from an active player will impact how they do in the pool in a disproportionate way (because ... humans).

You may want to say something like this each week ("As of games completed yesterday (and put in a date), select....".  In this way, if you leave the poll open a week, people shouldn't consider what goes on that week.  I know it isn't perfect, but it may help.  But this is your poll, so you can do what you want.

Thanks for taking the effort on this.  It is probably a lot of work, but is good to walk down memory lane to acknowledge those who created the foundation.

Go Bulls.

Good catch on having Javon meet CJ in the Final Four.  I think if I reseed based on current points scored, it'll change that for both CJ and Perkins.

Although I gotta say, this whole thing is going to be skewed to the modern era.  I don't even know who Jim Horne is. Heard stuff about Sam Pellom, but because I never saw them play I will probably favor guys I watched.