Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2020-2021 Lineup

Kevin

• Jeseph locked and unlocked this topic
21 hours ago, Gxtrex said:

Now that our roster is set (seems like Fagan and Brock are staying), what do you guys think the starting lineup and rotation will be? 

I think 4 of them spots are locks, segu, graves, Williams and mballa.

Then the 5th spot may come down to who we play and the game plan for that game. Or how quickly chanse or Malik get comfortable at the division 1 level.

Plus you have guys who could take huge leaps like gallion, nickelberry hardnett Fagan etc

I'm optimistic about our chances this season

9 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I think 4 of them spots are locks, segu, graves, Williams and mballa.

Then the 5th spot may come down to who we play and the game plan for that game. Or how quickly chanse or Malik get comfortable at the division 1 level.

Plus you have guys who could take huge leaps like gallion, nickelberry hardnett Fagan etc

I'm optimistic about our chances this season

Also maybe Skogman can contribute after red shirting last season. I'm worried we are a little small with those 4 even though i know we are usually guard heavy. 

9 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Also maybe Skogman can contribute after red shirting last season. I'm worried we are a little small with those 4 even though i know we are usually guard heavy. 

Between being guard heavy and actually being deep up front. That should make up for lack of size.

Between brock Fagan hardnett and skogman, thats 20 fouls to give haha. 

Plus all of them have talent and were highly touted recruits, one should be able to step up

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Between being guard heavy and actually being deep up front. That should make up for lack of size.

Between brock Fagan hardnett and skogman, thats 20 fouls to give haha. 

Plus all of them have talent and were highly touted recruits, one should be able to step up

Haha. Unfortunately im not expecting much from Brock. We know what he is. I love his attitude and all but csnt keep uo at this level. Im hopeful Fagan can get something going. This is his last year of eligibility right? Skogman looks good, albeit from workout videos and high school games. 

14 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Haha. Unfortunately im not expecting much from Brock. We know what he is. I love his attitude and all but csnt keep uo at this level. Im hopeful Fagan can get something going. This is his last year of eligibility right? Skogman looks good, albeit from workout videos and high school games. 

Maybe Mballa will continue to play sixth man just like Perkins.  It has always worked for our program.

As it relates to Brock, if you ask Perkins why he was so successful in his career, he will give a lot of credit to Brock and how hard he practiced against him every day.  If Brock's main job is to make Mballa better each day, then keep doing that.  I get we want him to contribute more in games, but there is a lot more to a program than just the 15-20 minutes Brock might play in a game.

7 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Maybe Mballa will continue to play sixth man just like Perkins.  It has always worked for our program.

As it relates to Brock, if you ask Perkins why he was so successful in his career, he will give a lot of credit to Brock and how hard he practiced against him every day.  If Brock's main job is to make Mballa better each day, then keep doing that.  I get we want him to contribute more in games, but there is a lot more to a program than just the 15-20 minutes Brock might play in a game.

15-20 minutes a game for Brock, what are you smoking? If he plays 5 minutes I’d be suprised. Hardnett and Skogman probably going to be getting minutes behind Mballa. My only disappointment is that I was kinda hoping Brock or Fagan transferred so we could have brought in a Juco big man who could have contributed and took some pressure off of Mballa. Our front line is kind of an unknown right now once you get past Mballa. No certainty that Hardnett, Fagan, nickleberry or Skogman going to really perform as of yet. I’m hopeful Hardnett steps up his game a bit. We are stacked at guard so not concerned there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping that 20-21 season progresses in some fashion, I took a stab at showing how expect this years team to fare in terms of points per game.  Based on my review, I believe that the team should score points (possibly low 80s). 

I have provided three sets of facts.

• Note all stats are conference games only.
  • My predicted points per game for current players vs historic results starting with the 2010-11 season -  so you can see how my expectation would put current players into historic perspective. 
  • My projection vs what they did last year. 
  • My projection vs current projections by barttovrik.com.  A comment about BT, they currently  rank UB at 147 - this is low for two reasons.  BT does not reflect any contributions from Malik Zachery yet.  I am assuming 6.5 ppg from him. Second, I have better expectations from Graves and Williams which would result in about 4 ppg.

Key Obervations:

• Team has potential to score in low 80s.
  • Jayvon Graves - I am expecting slight up-tick in points per game (17.2 to 17.5; BT - 16.2).  This would put him top 5 for recent UB history for senior year ppg.  What I will be looking from him most will be the 'go to' at crunch time.
  • Jeenathan WIlliams - I am expecting him to take another leap this year (12.8 to 14.5; BT - 11.2).  His sophomore year ppg was fifth highest for sophomores in the period reviewed.   At 14.5 ppg, his junior season would comparable to Blake Hamilton (7th best in period).  If Williams has increased his arsenal and put in the work - he could have a very good year.
  • Mballa - I am expecting Mballa to be a solid contributor (10.7 to 13.5; BT - 13.2).  Mballa's sophomore numbers were in top 10 for sophomores and were similar to Perkins' production, although they get their points differently.

Here are charts for additional information:

image.png.6be2338183bdd9b1766efbc15e835b06.png

image.png.0dd7971e88a379557f0d3773a55b8504.png

image.png.c0fb9e82ec3a1e27ef2cc4c0d9d5b4bd.png

image.png.31441e08c18d09e5afa3d555ee0341d0.png

image.thumb.png.2b40114ed32438141696e2ae8eb3f12c.png

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Hoping that 20-21 season progresses in some fashion, I took a stab at showing how expect this years team to fare in terms of points per game.  Based on my review, I believe that the team should score points (possibly low 80s). 

I have provided three sets of facts.

• Note all stats are conference games only.
  • My predicted points per game for current players vs historic results starting with the 2010-11 season -  so you can see how my expectation would put current players into historic perspective. 
  • My projection vs what they did last year. 
  • My projection vs current projections by barttovrik.com.  A comment about BT, they currently  rank UB at 147 - this is low for two reasons.  BT does not reflect any contributions from Malik Zachery yet.  I am assuming 6.5 ppg from him. Second, I have better expectations from Graves and Williams which would result in about 4 ppg.

Key Obervations:

• Team has potential to score in low 80s.
  • Jayvon Graves - I am expecting slight up-tick in points per game (17.2 to 17.5; BT - 16.2).  This would put him top 5 for recent UB history for senior year ppg.  What I will be looking from him most will be the 'go to' at crunch time.
  • Jeenathan WIlliams - I am expecting him to take another leap this year (12.8 to 14.5; BT - 11.2).  His sophomore year ppg was fifth highest for sophomores in the period reviewed.   At 14.5 ppg, his junior season would comparable to Blake Hamilton (7th best in period).  If Williams has increased his arsenal and put in the work - he could have a very good year.
  • Mballa - I am expecting Mballa to be a solid contributor (10.7 to 13.5; BT - 13.2).  Mballa's sophomore numbers were in top 10 for sophomores and were similar to Perkins' production, although they get their points differently.

Here are charts for additional information:

image.png.6be2338183bdd9b1766efbc15e835b06.png

image.png.0dd7971e88a379557f0d3773a55b8504.png

image.png.c0fb9e82ec3a1e27ef2cc4c0d9d5b4bd.png

image.png.31441e08c18d09e5afa3d555ee0341d0.png

image.thumb.png.2b40114ed32438141696e2ae8eb3f12c.png

Seems logical to me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We might be running a bigger lineup this year than usual. There are only 4 guards that are likely to get playing time. Very interested to see how the rotation and play style shake out with a bigger than usual squad.

Segu/Robinson

Graves/Gallion

Williams/Nickelberry

Mballa/Hardnett/Fagan

Bertram/Skogman

5 minutes ago, SGBull said:

We might be running a bigger lineup this year than usual. There are only 4 guards that are likely to get playing time. Very interested to see how the rotation and play style shake out with a bigger than usual squad.

Segu/Robinson

Graves/Gallion

Williams/Nickelberry

Mballa/Hardnett/Fagan

Bertram/Skogman

I hope Brock doesn't start. Or if he does, it's to help keep Mballa out of foul trouble for a few minutes. He can't keep up at this level unfortunately. Id rather Josh, Hardnett, and Skogman get most of the time at the 4/5.  Maybe Fagan can contribute there as well. 

43 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

I hope Brock doesn't start. Or if he does, it's to help keep Mballa out of foul trouble for a few minutes. He can't keep up at this level unfortunately. Id rather Josh, Hardnett, and Skogman get most of the time at the 4/5.  Maybe Fagan can contribute there as well. 

I agree, I could see him starting and only playing like 10mpg. We have a tendency to do that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think there are rightful reasons to be concerned about how the team has looked so far, but playing BG as close as we did on the road without Mballa or Brewton (maybe even Zachery), portends good things for the next time we see them, and MAC play in general. That’s a lot of talent/depth missing so far

6 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I think there are rightful reasons to be concerned about how the team has looked so far, but playing BG as close as we did on the road without Mballa or Brewton (maybe even Zachery), portends good things for the next time we see them, and MAC play in general. That’s a lot of talent/depth missing so far

Do agree about the concern but I think we have to see if there is any improvement in the upcoming games. I see no improvement from last year. Poor free throw shooting, both Nickelberry and Hardnett committing tons of fouls and not showing any offensive team play, too much one on one play and inconsistent 3 point shooting. All that contributes to loses in tight games. Do agree having Mballa out does not help and still not sure how much Brewton and Robinson can bring with little practice time with the other players. Still early and hope for some improvement from the team. Go Bulls!!!