Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Zaakir Williamson

Dabulls

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Was thinking it was time we get a verbal commitment.  Would like to hear something positive 10/8.

We seem to be recruiting him pretty hard along with George Mason, he follows pretty much every coach in the team which is a good sign. Would be filling the spot we lose with Bertram 

26 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

We seem to be recruiting him pretty hard along with George Mason, he follows pretty much every coach in the team which is a good sign. Would be filling the spot we lose with Bertram 

He is kinda short to be a center right? And im hoping he would be more productive than Bertram. 

26 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

He’s actually a power forward, his HS team plays only one big man on the floor. Same height as Mballa at 6’7 

You mentioned replacing Brock so i thought he was a, center. Mballa also is a little undersized against the 6-10 guys isn't he? 

6 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

You mentioned replacing Brock so i thought he was a, center. Mballa also is a little undersized against the 6-10 guys isn't he? 

Very, Whitesell seems to like smaller PFs, the only “center” we offered is John ese Orogun but it seems like we stoped recruitment on him

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Depending on how he develops, having his size will be so complementary to Mballa. And also Hardnett. 

I know the college game is different than HS but my HS team had a center the same size as Skogman, teams would sometimes let him shoot the three and he’d always make them pay. I can see Skogman being unguarded at the arc due to his size a bit, should be a tough player to guard on offensive because he’s reliable from everywhere 

Dealing with size defensively is a different question but in this video he scores 3 or 4 times on 7'2" Hunter Dickinson (#1 in blue) who is a 4 star freshman at Michigan.  He does enough off the bounce/in the mid-range that he should be able to hold his own on that end against 6'10"+.  I don't know if he would provide enough rim protection to be a full-time 5 for UB but he could pair with Skogman who (hopefully) will provide some of that.

20 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Dealing with size defensively is a different question but in this video he scores 3 or 4 times on 7'2" Hunter Dickinson (#1 in blue) who is a 4 star freshman at Michigan.  He does enough off the bounce/in the mid-range that he should be able to hold his own on that end against 6'10"+.  I don't know if he would provide enough rim protection to be a full-time 5 for UB but he could pair with Skogman who (hopefully) will provide some of that.

Charles Barkley, Zion Williamson and Mballa are all PFs who are 6’7 or under. They all are decent defensively. If Zaakir is strong enough to body guys out of the way he shouldn’t be a liability on defense

8 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Charles Barkley, Zion Williamson and Mballa are all PFs who are 6’7 or under. They all are decent defensively. If Zaakir is strong enough to body guys out of the way he shouldn’t be a liability on defense

Yeah I was talking about as a center, I think the 4 is his natural landing spot defensively.  He seems agile enough to guard a little bit on the perimeter and strong enough to guard in the post.  The issue is all the guys you listed are more vertically explosive than Williamson so I don't know what he can provide in rim protection, which probably necessitates playing another big man with him.  I think Skogman could pair well with him because he is supposed to be able shoot the ball.  I would have concerns about an Mballa and Williamson lineup handcuffing the offense with two non-shooting big men (although they would only overlap for one season).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

Probably later, it’s also his birthday so he’ll probably make his announcement around friends and family 

Makes sense.  Thank you.  I guess the more burning question is whether there has been any buzz on our prospects other than mentioned above.

25 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Makes sense.  Thank you.  I guess the more burning question is whether there has been any buzz on our prospects other than mentioned above.

The only other prospect we seem to be recruiting hard is Victor Hart who’s a Small Forward. It’s been reported that we are recruiting him heavily. Williamson on the other hand doesn’t have much speculation on where he will end up. It’s seems like his top three are LaSalle, UB, and George Mason