Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Sounds like a Morgue

clodney

12 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Imagine this is the first game someone comes to because they see Buffalo was ranked. 

Do you think they enjoined the game and will want to return to buy tickets for more of this?

40 point win vs a not bad team (most importantly a team that has some name recognition, not eastern south carolina A&M&T state)

Dunk city

Ranked team

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying if that was your first game you are surely coming back for more.

30 minutes ago, rma said:

40 point win vs a not bad team (most importantly a team that has some name recognition, not eastern south carolina A&M&T state)

Dunk city

Ranked team

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying if that was your first game you are surely coming back for more.

Not a bad team?

Dartmouth is #259 in Kenpom and #271 in Sagarin. 

That’s worse than EVERY team in the MAC. 

Sure, they are better than Central Penn, Nazareth, and Pitt-Bradford but is that actually considered not bad?

9 minutes ago, rma said:

They're also 58 in RPI.  I don't think any of the stat rankings are going to be super accurate this early in the season

I think they're slightly below average.  Not bad, not good.

Ha ha. Come on... take off the blue tinted glasses.

We we all know the RPI is the least accurate early in the season. 

Currently it has Belmont #1 in the country and Liberty #5. 

Are you you really going to cite a metric that has The Citadel as a top 20 team nationally?

not to mention the NCAA is no longer using the RPI as theif statistical metric. 

14 hours ago, clodney said:

Oof. I’m completely out of touch with this holiday. 

I will I’ll say though, it’s very obvious that without the students we have no home atmosphere whatsoever. C’mon Buffalo. Make some noise. 

Doesn't help the Sabres were home at the same time. Considering that, the crowd was excellent. Gotta try to avoid those conflicts.

22 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Doesn't help the Sabres were home at the same time. Considering that, the crowd was excellent. Gotta try to avoid those conflicts.

I do not think that basketball and hockey fans are they same market in Buffalo.  If they were, either the Braves would still be in Buffalo or both teams would be gone.

I will admit I was disappointed. 

For having a top 25 team, the public came out. 

I NEVER missed games near the holidays. And that was during our average to below average Reggie years. 

The students can go for free, I know they all went out that night. 

The student fans/True Blue needs to be better. 

Edited by Kevin

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I will admit I was disappointed. 

For having a top 25 team, the public came out. 

I NEVER missed games near the holidays. And that was during our average to below average Reggie years. 

The students can go for free, I know they all went out that night. 

The student fans/True Blue needs to be better. 

I agree, but for some reason the local UB students (which there are plenty of) don't seem to support the sports teams when school is not in session. When I was a student, it seemed that most of the biggest student fans were not from the Buffalo originally.

20 hours ago, SGBull said:

I agree, but for some reason the local UB students (which there are plenty of) don't seem to support the sports teams when school is not in session. When I was a student, it seemed that most of the biggest student fans were not from the Buffalo originally.

The night before Thanksgiving would be a tough night for local students to go to a game.  It has become a huge night for college students to go out with all of their friends as the come home for the holiday weekend.  All the locals who went away are home for the first time and they all go out.

39 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The night before Thanksgiving would be a tough night for local students to go to a game.  It has become a huge night for college students to go out with all of their friends as the come home for the holiday weekend.  All the locals who went away are home for the first time and they all go out.

Yes I know, but it is not like they typically show up in December or January. Hopefully they buck the trend and show some support today. 

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This happens way late. We are talking 11pm+. I remember going with friends and then starting the party after the game. 

The point is, groups of people are together NEAR UB. Lots of people travel back to Buffalo too from their schools. It seems like those people care more than the students who go for free. Pathetic showing so far even for the SF - PA game. With students, that game would have been full. 

Most if not all the students who go to games seem to be the ones who live on campus.  I can understand if you commute from a place not next to campus that you're not going to drive home then come back, BUT I agree with some others here, there are a lot of times that it's there and they're not coming.  Gone is the excuse that "the team isn't good."

Without the students and the band, the crowd is as lively as a Sabres crowd.  Today (Marist) was a bit better than on Wednesday.  To be fair, these weren't close games that got people into it.

Bull Trojan - totally agree.  You mean to tell me no one from True Blue is local?

I should add - UB is not alone in struggling to get fans, and students, to come to games.  Every school needs more butts in seats and is trying to figure out how to do so.  Even these guys.  We're not unique.

https://deadspin.com/nick-saban-is-very-angry-at-alabama-fans-for-not-attend-1829512214

21 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Bull Trojan - totally agree.  You mean to tell me no one from True Blue is local?

I should add - UB is not alone in struggling to get fans, and students, to come to games.  Every school needs more butts in seats and is trying to figure out how to do so.  Even these guys.  We're not unique.

https://deadspin.com/nick-saban-is-very-angry-at-alabama-fans-for-not-attend-1829512214

Anyone who read that article and came out with the notion that Alabama has attendance issues has some major reading comprehension problems. Just always click yes on the “I read the terms of service” button, you’d just be wasting your time if you did read it anyway.

I believe that the fans want to cheer and be loud. I just don't think there is anyone there to give the lead. A lot of these fans haven't been coming to a lot of the games. I heard a conversation behind me that went like this

1: So what are the chants for the UB Bulls? It sounds pretty quiet.

2: I don't know exactly. I went to a few games last year but that is it.

1: Do they have blimps and stuff that go through here like other teams?

2: Wait. There is a chant that is with a cowbell where they do a beat then they chant Bulls!

These fans are new season ticket holders. They bought into the hype. Right now, there isn't anything set in place or people to lead the way. 

Now on free throws, I hear them behind me say "Horns Up". They are catching on and it is great to see!

Students will help but they won't be consistently around until the end of January. Usually this is where the cheerleaders should come in. All due respect to the cheerleaders, some of the chants are not good ("Come on Bulls, fight.")

The past couple games, they have run around for the other teams free throws telling people to make noise. which is starting to work! Kudos to them. 

Why don't the cheerleaders do the "BU-FF-AL-O Go"? How come the cowbell isn't played at every single game? Even with no band or students, cheerleaders could do it. Or they can record it to play over the loudspeaker for a timeout. 

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Let's go U-B *clap clap clap-clap-clap* needs to come back IMO.

When I was in the front of the student section this was always the easiest/loudest cheer and has no learning curve for new fans.

Last game, people in the 300's started a defense chant that eventually people caught on. The cheerleaders do that chant as well but people just don't do anything.