Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC Football Decison

There was a meeting yesterday of the MAC presidents about football.  NO decision was made.  They expect a decision on Saturday.

I think UB can be a huge problem.  As of now there are no quarantine issues with only EMU, CMU nad WMU.  All of schools have to quarantine for 14 days if they come to New York and UB would have to do the same coming back from road games.
Syracuse is asking for a waiver from the governor.  No word on that as of yet.

Edited by BrooklynBull

This week should bring a lot more clarity on where CFB is going this fall.  With the MAC shutting it down, several media who follow the sport think that other FBS conferences will be following the MAC.  I don't really see any spring football unless most if not all conferences will try to do this in unison.  We'll see.  I think for now it's just something being thrown out there to appease the players and coaches.  Cross country and swimming you can pull off in the spring....Football is a different animal.

6 hours ago, zigo230 said:

This week should bring a lot more clarity on where CFB is going this fall.  With the MAC shutting it down, several media who follow the sport think that other FBS conferences will be following the MAC.  I don't really see any spring football unless most if not all conferences will try to do this in unison.  We'll see.  I think for now it's just something being thrown out there to appease the players and coaches.  Cross country and swimming you can pull off in the spring....Football is a different animal.

Cross country is hard to move to the spring, since many run outdoor track.  Swimming is a winter sport an unaffected by the decision.

22 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Bingo....they will continue to string along the student-athletes yet still use the guise that these decisions are about "health and safety."

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Dan Patrick reporting that Big 10 voted 12-2 against fall football (Nebraska and Iowa voted to play).  Both Big 10 and Pac-12 to announce cancellations tomorrow.

Yep- it's already been leaked at Noon today.  The Big Ten has cancelled their 2020 football season.  The other conferences will start to fall in line over this week.

Old Dominion annouced no fall sports but CUSA has not yet..not a good look at all.

I was remaining hopefull to the end, just based on how well Buffalo and UB were doing in fighting the pandemic. But no surprise what is transpiring now. As much as the superstars on teams are eager to play, and the NCAA is lacking in leadership in any way, it is the presidents who are listening and leading. NFL Saturdays won't be a horrible alternative.

There is no leadership...it is purely institutions trying to cover their backsides and try to seem like they are doing the "responsible" thing. The message I would be getting if I were a student athlete right now is, "When things get tough, just fold up shop."

Big 10 fall season is not cancelled yet.  an 11th hour push by coaches, players and some big donors and sponsors who all want to forge ahead and play.  Presidents will meet again tomorrow but the league is very divided about postponing the season. 

• 1 month later...

I'd be stunned if the MAC isn't done for the fall.  I just don't think the funds are there to play football and to adequately test the players.  The Big 10 and Pac 12 are throwing away serious money by not playing.  The MAC is losing some money (TV deals, etc.), but it's a totally different ballgame.

Are MAC schools practicing right now?  Genuine question, I have no idea.

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Big Ten votes tonight. What does the MAC do? Stay shut down?

They are likely to vote no.

Both Michigans, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota and Wisconsin are alegedly no.

The push to play is Ohio State, Nebraska Iowa and Purdue (led by a former GOP governor of Indiana.

The rest are most likely no votes.

16 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

They are likely to vote no.

Both Michigans, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota and Wisconsin are alegedly no.

The push to play is Ohio State, Nebraska Iowa and Purdue (led by a former GOP governor of Indiana.

The rest are most likely no votes.

This did not age well.  Big 10 looking to start season October 24, 2020.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-ten-reverses-course-will-play-college-football-this-fall-125509398.html

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1306216552249856000

Nothing has changed in the virus since late August.  B1G saw the other conferences not following them and playing football, and were pressured into playing by players, donors, coaches, sponsors, fans..  I think they are doing the right thing.  Will a few games be postponed along the way? maybe, but the ways to mitigate risks and keep the virus from spreading among teams is known.  There's a blueprint.  Also, the demographic who are being affected the most are not college football players and staff.  It's elderly and immunocompromised with co-morbidities.  Those folks should stay clear of college campuses and anywhere else for that matter.  All this is my opinion of course.

The MAC should be following the B1G and playing Oct-Dec when things are somewhat level and before the Flu season is in high swing.   No one plays spring (or late winter) college football.  I think it's just a way to appease players and coaches for now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Schools like LSU reporting most of their players are Covid positive. The genie is out of the bottle. No one cares what happens. Entertain us now! I hope these players don't pay for it down the road.

All about the money.

Big 10 only brings back football.  Non-revenue sports, I wonder of some ADs and presidents know they even sponsor them.