Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC Football Decison

23 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I hope not.  I think it is too risky. 

What has changed since August? Not much. 

Has anything been learned about the long term effects since August ? No.

How many games have been canceled already because of COVID?  At least three off the top of my head: Virginia v. Virginia Tech, BYU v. Army and Houston v. Memphis.

Will UB or any other school be able to get the necessary insurance to cover any potential law suits? Doubtful.

34 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

Nothing is likely to be learned about the long-term effects by February, either....yet basketball is on track to start by Thanksgiving. The world has to go on while taking precautions and mitigating to the best of ones ability...but things must go on.

Would you want to be or have your son be a guinea pig for this experiment?  I would not.

13 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Would you want to be or have your son be a guinea pig for this experiment?  I would not.

If players are tested consistently and there are no fans, it would be pretty safe. A lot of these bigger conferences are ignoring that a bit. If the Mac can find a plan for testing and to play a conference schedule, I’d definitely be for it

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Every single person who is working in public, going to classes, interacting with other people is a guinea pig right now. You assess risk to the best of your ability given the information at hand...if you deem it too risky, you don't play.

1 minute ago, TML1000 said:

Is playing basketball in November also too much of a risk? Would spring football also be too risky? What is the golden goose we are looking for so that play will be "OK" again?

Nationwide low positivity testing and slower spread.  Shut downs for flare ups.  State by state mandatory mask requirements. An ok from the CDC and FDA doctors that it is safe to play.

Winter sports may have to be canceled as well, the above are not met.

Remember people are only as safe as the least safe person they meet.

If the entire 2020-2021 academic year has no collegiate sports I am fine with that.  The health and safety of students is more important than the money they generate or the entertainment they provide.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

These players, coaches and staff are adults and all should have the right to choose to play the game they've worked so hard for. Some have next level dreams too. There is risk assessment, mitigation and the ability to take precautions.  You don't shut down every aspect of life as if this is the Ebola virus with a 50% fatality rate.  I'm all for the MAC pushing through and if games have to be postponed along the way so be it.  When it's all said and done, there's not going to be any spring ball for FBS teams and these guys deserve their shot this fall.   As other have mentioned, hoops is being allowed too.

There are kids going to school, people going to work...adults working face to face with other folks every day in Walmart, retails stores, restaurants, etc..   If you are an older person and/or have underlying conditions, then please sit 2020 out and isolate yourselves.  The rest of society should continue to function WITH PRECAUTIONS and PROTOCOLS  in place if they choose to do so. 

By the way- why were there fans in the stands at the Browns game last night?  I thought Ohio was pretty much shut down for crowds and gatherings. 

10 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

These players, coaches and staff are adults and all should have the right to choose to play the game they've worked so hard for. Some have next level dreams too. There is risk assessment, mitigation and the ability to take precautions.  You don't shut down every aspect of life as if this is the Ebola virus with a 50% fatality rate.  I'm all for the MAC pushing through and if games have to be postponed along the way so be it.  When it's all said and done, there's not going to be any spring ball for FBS teams and these guys deserve their shot this fall.   As other have mentioned, hoops is being allowed too.

There are kids going to school, people going to work...adults working face to face with other folks every day in Walmart, retails stores, restaurants, etc..   If you are an older person and/or have underlying conditions, then please sit 2020 out and isolate yourselves.  The rest of society should continue to function WITH PRECAUTIONS and PROTOCOLS  in place if they choose to do so. 

By the way- why were there fans in the stands at the Browns game last night?  I thought Ohio was pretty much shut down for crowds and gatherings. 

Especially if precautions are taken, testing players daily, making sure players are not coming in contact with certain individuals if tested positive. Not having fans will help with safety as well. I’m confident the MAC will keep these players safe, larger conferences seem to disregard Covid a bit but that’s their decision. If these players can be tested regularly and kept safe, why not have a season where these guys can showcase their talents to pro scouts.

14 hours ago, zigo230 said:

There are kids going to school - Right, these are not professional players who have union bargained for health care and workers' compensation (in most states).

adults working face to face with other folks every day in Walmart, retails stores, restaurants - Wearing masks and very often with a plexiglass partition between them and the public.

I'm all for the MAC pushing through and if games have to be postponed along the way so be it. - Who cares if a kid, coach or staff person gets COVID, I have my game to watch.

They should not be playing this year.  And likely neither should any sports for the entire ACADEMIC year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Very tragic story indeed but if players can be tested regularly on a daily basis, things like this won’t happen. It’s highly unlikely a player will contract the virus during a practice or game, more likely to contract it while at the dining hall or in class. If players, coaches and officials on each team can be properly tested, it can halt the spread, unfortunately in the case of that young man that didn’t happen. I care about everyone’s safety and wish them well but who knows how long covid will be around for, have to find ways to live life with it until we can really control it, who knows how long that can be. In no way am I trying to argue your point, just sharing an opinion 

This player returned to a campus with hardly any students, the university shutdown and no actual sanctioned football activities on-going....and also without any testing or even more basic covid protocols. It is unlikely he contracted the virus while on campus. Sad story but really doesn't relate to whether conferences should start playing again, especially those at the D-1 level with detailed testing, tracing and mitigation measures in place.