Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Top 25 Votes 2020 Season

BrooklynBull

10 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

A bit unrelated and prob too soon but what are the chances Patterson comes back for his Senior year and most of the line returns? The QBs will be back. I’m thinking with the lack of a full season to show Patterson’s full potential and opportunity to boost his draft stock closer to the first round, he could stick around for next year. Thoughts?

Buffalo RB Jaret Patterson rising in 2021 NFL Draft buzz (247sports.com)

This says JP is #2 Running Back in nation in draft.  If I was him I would go.

2 hours ago, CheerUB80/84 said:

Buffalo RB Jaret Patterson rising in 2021 NFL Draft buzz (247sports.com)

This says JP is #2 Running Back in nation in draft.  If I was him I would go.

I have thought about this lately.  

He is short and from the MAC, so he has two strikes against him.  While he could go out, I suspect that he won’t get drafted until the back part of the draft.  

What I think could really help is a full-fledged Heismann campaign that would happen during his senior year.  With that, I think his chances of being drafted in the first few rounds increase dramatically.   

Basically, I think there he has more to gain by coming back, all things considered.  

Now...if he runs for 300 yards against Akron and is seeing legit and consistent first or second round grades, then the story changes.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

#24 in the AP, de facto #30 in the Coaches Poll.  What an age we live in.

Indeed! What a high mark for UB Athletics, men's and women's basketball have both finished in the Top 25, and now football has reached it and can hopefully stay there.

I was worried Texas may jump up and cost us, but enough teams lost to allow 4 unranked teams to jump in.

Im just over the moon again. In my lifetime checklist of things for the program, being ranked, both the mens basketball AND the football were two things I thought were the longest shots. Its very hard to get ranked to begin with but here we are.

I also dont care what type of year this is. This team has a fantastic O Line, one of the best in the country and one of the best RBs in the nation. 

So awesome. I really wasn't sure this would happen in my lifetime. Even a very good year after year program could still never be ranked and now we had the Basketball team up to #14! Ill take #24 and no more but heck if they wanna keep moving up go for it! Its sad that its a year when we can't see it in person but its all great to me! I love having programs from the Basketball season where it said #16 next to our name, sadly wont have the same keepsake from the football team this year 😞

• Like 3

11 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Im just over the moon again. In my lifetime checklist of things for the program, being ranked, both the mens basketball AND the football were two things I thought were the longest shots. Its very hard to get ranked to begin with but here we are.

I also dont care what type of year this is. This team has a fantastic O Line, one of the best in the country and one of the best RBs in the nation. 

So awesome. I really wasn't sure this would happen in my lifetime. Even a very good year after year program could still never be ranked and now we had the Basketball team up to #14! Ill take #24 and no more but heck if they wanna keep moving up go for it! Its sad that its a year when we can't see it in person but its all great to me! I love having programs from the Basketball season where it said #16 next to our name, sadly wont have the same keepsake from the football team this year 😞

I know!  This is just another milestone!!

Heck...I never thought I would see UB on TV in a game of football and yet we are now ranked (and have won a bowl game).  

My lifetime checklist for UB athletics has only one thing leftgetting into a more prominent conference.  I will always feel we should be in the B1G.  

Go Bulls!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UB92 said:

I know!  This is just another milestone!!

Heck...I never thought I would see UB on TV in a game of football and yet we are now ranked (and have won a bowl game).  

My lifetime checklist for UB athletics has only one thing leftgetting into a more prominent conference.  I will always feel we should be in the B1G.  

Go Bulls!

The American is probably more realistic right? 

On 12/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, Gxtrex said:

The American lost its Northeast outpost when UCONN bagged. UB would be the perfect replacement. We already have a long history and rivalry with Temple. That said I don't know what the American is looking for. I mean I saw names like Southern Mississippi, Florida Atlantic and Louisiana Tech floated. I mean if you'd rather have some D-grade southern football factory instead of a flagship public university from a huge state with high-level academic credentials and ranked teams in football and basketball, then what does that day about your conference?

Apparently the edit function no longer works here. So let's try again....

The American lost its Northeast outpost when UCONN bagged. UB would be the perfect replacement. We already have a long history and rivalry with Temple. That said I don't know what the American is looking for. I saw names like Southern Mississippi, Florida Atlantic and Louisiana Tech floated. I mean if you'd rather have some D-grade southern football factory instead of a flagship public university from a huge state with high-level academic credentials and ranked teams in football and basketball, then what does that say about your conference?

On 12/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, Gxtrex said:

Probably more realistic, but this was my UB athletics lifetime checklist.  I am sorry, but the AAC is not on that list.   You can argue that to get to the B1G, we have to go through AAC first...and I would say "only if B1G was the end goal".

Bash me if you want, but Danny White had the vision of making UB into the athletics program for the state.  My dream of getting into the B1G required that as a step.  Otherwise, we have zero shot.  Our "ace" (and only interesting card) is the fact Buffalo is in New York State.  Unfortunately putting the state of NY on a hat, a jersey, the field, etc. was too much for local sensitivities.  We had our shot, I feel, and missed it.

For decades, NY state has not had the "one unifying college athletics team".  A state university the size of UB that draws students from all over the state was (and, in my opinion, is) the answer.  It is a longshot to happen any time soon, but Danny White saw this as the opportunity.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UB92 said:

Probably more realistic, but this was my UB athletics lifetime checklist.  I am sorry, but the AAC is not on that list.   You can argue that to get to the B1G, we have to go through AAC first...and I would say "only if B1G was the end goal".

Bash me if you want, but Danny White had the vision of making UB into the athletics program for the state.  My dream of getting into the B1G required that as a step.  Otherwise, we have zero shot.  Our "ace" (and only interesting card) is the fact Buffalo is in New York State.  Unfortunately putting the state of NY on a hat, a jersey, the field, etc. was too much for local sensitivities.  We had our shot, I feel, and missed it.

For decades, NY state has not had the "one unifying college athletics team".  A state university the size of UB that draws students from all over the state was (and, in my opinion, is) the answer.  It is a longshot to happen any time soon, but Danny White saw this as the opportunity.  

Watch what happens with Nebraska.  They and the Big 10 are not happy with each other right now.  Nebraska wanted to play football even if the conference decided against it for the whole year.  They also sought to play a non-conference game when they had a COVID cancellation.  The Big 10 also wants all members to be AAU members.  Nebraska is no longer a member.  They may look to bail and try to go back to the BIG12, where their real rivals play.

If they go, UB would become a likely replacement based on academics and TV market.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Watch what happens with Nebraska.  They and the Big 10 are not happy with each other right now.  Nebraska wanted to play football even if the conference decided against it for the whole year.  They also sought to play a non-conference game when they had a COVID cancellation.  The Big 10 also wants all members to be AAU members.  Nebraska is no longer a member.  They may look to bail and try to go back to the BIG12, where their real rivals play.

If they go, UB would become a likely replacement based on academics and TV market.

Would UB be able to pull off the facilities to jump up that high?

46 minutes ago, HomeyG said:
1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Would UB be able to pull off the facilities to jump up that high?

I think the only issue would be for football.  If they can borrow against future revenues from the conference to upgrade, then yes.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

That would be amazing. UB definitely fits in the Big Ten academically and profile-wise, being a major state university. We just lack the athletic history and, frankly, the budget.  But if they can let Rutgers in they can let UB in.  Maybe Warde Manuel can put in a good word?

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

How can we make this happen?  

20 years from now, I am picturing driving to Happy Valley as UB takes on its bitter (though fairly recent) rival in Penn State.

18 hours ago, UB92 said:

How can we make this happen?  

20 years from now, I am picturing driving to Happy Valley as UB takes on its bitter (though fairly recent) rival in Penn State.

Can you imagine Penn State having to go to UB to play in our stadium? Yikes! The smallest stadium in the Big10 is still 50k so I'm thinking a nice donation of about $100MM oughta do the trick. Check or cash?

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Can you imagine Penn State having to go to UB to play in our stadium? Yikes! The smallest stadium in the Big10 is still 50k so I'm thinking a nice donation of about $100MM oughta do the trick. Check or cash?

The funny thing is that $100MM may be on the low end to get a 50k stadium.

If you build it they will come.  I think I heard that somewhere..

We would need deep pocket donors who want this to happen to finance the bulk.     We have some very, very wealthy alumni.

2 hours ago, clodney said:

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

The funny thing is that $100MM may be on the low end to get a 50k stadium.

If you build it they will come.  I think I heard that somewhere..

We would need deep pocket donors who want this to happen to finance the bulk.     We have some very, very wealthy alumni.

UB could play Penn State at Bills Stadium. Considering the Bills owner is an alum, not to mention a top donor, I could see it happening. Down the road the Bills will build a new dome (hopefully) downtown. Why not have the Bulls play there too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 2:50 PM, promotherobot said:

UB could play Penn State at Bills Stadium. Considering the Bills owner is an alum, not to mention a top donor, I could see it happening. Down the road the Bills will build a new dome (hopefully) downtown. Why not have the Bulls play there too?

It works pretty well in Pittsburg, so there is precedent.