Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

Rapid reaction: obviously it’s early and obviously this season will be unlike any other.

Ohio looks like the favorites. Tons of returning players. Which includes Preston. But right now Kent State is battling Virginia on the road. They have this small guard named Mike Nuga who is gonna be a problem. Extremely fast and shifty. It’s early but it’s late, every game matters and 2 games in UB needs to show improvement. My patience with this team is thin bc through 2 games we look like last years team.

3 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

In the one mac conference game tonight both Toledo and eastern Michigan don't look like anything special.  Eastern specifically looks like hot trash through the first half

Kent now headed to over time - impressive game from them

They got rid of divisions this year correct? No more Mac East/West?

Using Massey Composite Ranking - I am recapping what the initial few games have done in terms of MAC rankings.  Here is charts showing the overall rank and range of rank in the composite.  I have sorted both charts by the current order in MAC rankings - i.e. currently Ohio is ranked best with an overall rank of 117, an improvement from initial ranking of 146 / sixth best in MAC.  Buffalo has dropped from top ranked team in MAC at 108 to fourth best in MAC at 126.

image.png.49e316a26876de7831d5f5e40dc410e0.png

This evenings match- up figures to be a tough road contest.  Here's hoping we come out on top.  Given the rankings - makes sense that we are slight underdogs on the road.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Watching a little of bowling green wright st.

Bowling green down 44-16

They can't stop anything inside, my conclusion mballa would have made a worlds difference in that game

Bowling Green is playing very poorly.  1-12 from 3pt, 9-39 overall.   Justin Turner showing he is human and can have a bad game. 

Latest MAC rankings from composite.  I have added four main rankings - Massey, Kenpom, Sagarin and Barttorvik.  Currently the Bulls composite rank is 120, which places them 5th best in MAC.  Toledo has started strong and is currently the top ranked team at #86.  Akron and Kent are currently ranked #2 and #3 in MAC, but there is a wide range in the composite.  Ohio (#4) as their rating took a hit after loss to Akron, will look to see if they can rebound tomorrow against BG (#6).  Ohio is a 4.5 point favorite.

image.png.98e03590cabcad8778facadb06c62de4.png

Latest composite rankings.  I have modified the format to show the overall range of composite rankings and what I believe are four of the more reliable rankings (solid blue) - Massey, KenPom, Sagarin and Barttorvik.  Top team at this point continues to be Toledo.  You will note that Buffalo is currently sixth in MAC.  However, focusing on the four rankings I mentioned, there is very little difference 2-6.  Tomorrow's Toledo and Kent St should give a little more perspective on each team.  I can also see in this chart why N Illinois made coaching change.

image.png.99a926fb9ad9fb5e95c119c0411b3b49.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Latest composite rankings.  I have modified the format to show the overall range of composite rankings and what I believe are four of the more reliable rankings (solid blue) - Massey, KenPom, Sagarin and Barttorvik.  Top team at this point continues to be Toledo.  You will note that Buffalo is currently sixth in MAC.  However, focusing on the four rankings I mentioned, there is very little difference 2-6.  Tomorrow's Toledo and Kent St should give a little more perspective on each team.  I can also see in this chart why N Illinois made coaching change.

image.png.99a926fb9ad9fb5e95c119c0411b3b49.png

Your previous versions there has always been a very obvious top 7, this one looks like a top 6 is forming

As you noted the Toledo Kent game will be big. The composite to me shows the top 4 as Toledo bowling green Ohio and buffalo

Interesting to see, Toledo has always seemed to play better out of conference and then drop down once Mac play starts see if that continues

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Your previous versions there has always been a very obvious top 7, this one looks like a top 6 is forming

As you noted the Toledo Kent game will be big. The composite to me shows the top 4 as Toledo bowling green Ohio and buffalo

Interesting to see, Toledo has always seemed to play better out of conference and then drop down once Mac play starts see if that continues

Toledo has double digit wins against E Michigan, W Michigan and N Illinois.  This week Toledo has games with Kent and Ohio, so will know more about Toledo this week.  

Another point I would make is that Ohio has been without Preston the past two games, so at full strength they are tough.

Finally when the Bulls resume play at home on Saturday against Ball St, they need to play well and come away with the win.

10 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Toledo has double digit wins against E Michigan, W Michigan and N Illinois.  This week Toledo has games with Kent and Ohio, so will know more about Toledo this week.  

Another point I would make is that Ohio has been without Preston the past two games, so at full strength they are tough.

Finally when the Bulls resume play at home on Saturday against Ball St, they need to play well and come away with the win.

Toledo won a tight one with Kent, kent looks to be Kent: a team that can beat anyone and lose to anyone in the Mac

Toledo I still can't figure out if they are legit mid major or just your typical top 1 or 2 seed Mac team. They play well/have a ton of chemistry as a team

28 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Toledo won a tight one with Kent, kent looks to be Kent: a team that can beat anyone and lose to anyone in the Mac

Toledo I still can't figure out if they are legit mid major or just your typical top 1 or 2 seed Mac team. They play well/have a ton of chemistry as a team

This year is tough to gauge MAC relative to other conferences due to limited OOC games. That said winning on road by 2 points will result in minimal change in their ranking - mid 80s making them how you characterize a typical top 2 MAC team.  I expect Kent to slip slightly in rankings as I expect ranking on massey and Sagarin to slip...while it will improve on barttorvik, so 125-130 range, guesstimate.  At this point I think you could pick any one of the top six, but Toledo and Ohio assuming Preston returns are teams I currently feel will be teams to beat.