Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

Ohio @ Toledo tonight at 6:30 on CBSSN.  Toledo favored by 3.5.  I did some snooping on the Ohio fan board and seems like Preston will be out yet again.  Without Preston, it will be tough for Ohio.

Tomorrow, night Ball St vs Bulls seems to be best match-up.  If the Bulls are to be in top spots of the MAC come the end of the season - this is a game they need to win.  I wonder how the team will come out of the long layoff.

7 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Both teams only went 7 players deep most of the game, but Toledo had the energy, shot the hell out of the ball, 95-78. 

Toledo looked very good last night, and so far this season. They are currently ranked 68 by barttorvik.com and 79 on kenpom.com.  Their only losses are Bradley (2 pts), Xavier (3 pts), and a blowout by Michigan. They are a tough team to beat.

Here is a table from barttorvik.com showing MAC conference stats by team.

image.png.98f607e7560d23c2bb18c587cc8c26bf.png

Pluses thus far for the Bulls - Defense (Adj Efficiency Defense - 94.6 and 2P% Def - 43.9%); Rebounding (Off - 36.5 and Def 18.7) and 3P% - 39.6%;  Areas where the team could improve  FT% - 63.2% and 2P% - 47.8%.

• Like 1

BG's loss last night makes Friday's game even bigger.  As it is now a battle for 2nd place.  I've never been a Toledo believer however this year they are actually playing defense.  Yes they've played the weaker half of the conference and Ohio without Preston but still impressive.  Knuckle up for a grind of a MAC season.  Does anyone think Toledo will run away with it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

BG's loss last night makes Friday's game even bigger.  As it is now a battle for 2nd place.  I've never been a Toledo believer however this year they are actually playing defense.  Yes they've played the weaker half of the conference and Ohio without Preston but still impressive.  Knuckle up for a grind of a MAC season.  Does anyone think Toledo will run away with it?

I agree Friday's game is big - from a lot of different perspectives.  Having Mballa and Brewton this time should help, but still will be a challenge.  Toledo has been shooting the ball exceptionally well (EFG% is close to 60%).  They will be tough to beat, and look to be favorite at this point, but I do not see them running away with it.   If Graves can perform closer to last year's numbers and Williams, Mballa and Segu continue to play well - and we keep up defensive intensity - I think the Bulls have a good shot of beating Toledo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TML1000 said:

A MAC coach getting the ax mid-year lol....get real.

Not sure if your intent was sarcasm...but it has been known to occur

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30643139/northern-illinois-parts-coach-mark-montgomery-amid-1-7-start

Although it took a 1-7 record this year, two winning seasons, and a 0.419 winning percent in 9+ seasons.  

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Kent State lost tonight to Akron 72-61.  They played without Mike Nuga who is likely out the rest of season.  This is a tough loss for Kent as he was their second leading scorer.

https://www.record-courier.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/02/03/ksu-guard-michael-nugas-season-likely-over-due-knee-injury/4371916001/

Played w/o Nuga (18 ppg 5.5 rpg) and Hamilton (9.9 ppg/7 rpg). Team Averaging almost 82 ppg before those two went down. Nuga out for the season (knee), not sure about Hamilton.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Slim said:

Played w/o Nuga (18 ppg 5.5 rpg) and Hamilton (9.9 ppg/7 rpg). Team Averaging almost 82 ppg before those two went down. Nuga out for the season (knee), not sure about Hamilton.

I didn't realize they were missing Hamilton too.  That is rough.  He was taken out at end of last Saturday's game as 'Hamilton experienced back tightness at the end of the game (CMU) and also had to be substituted.'  He has missed two games so far.