Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

44 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Well that’s a gut punch on an already rough night thus far.  

Sorry. It sucks that you are losing your coach. But unfortunately it’s what happens to MAC coaches when you are successful. I would love it if Liepold left us in 5 years for greener pastures because it would mean we had success as well. 

You can keep the defensive staff...

1 minute ago, 121Merrimac said:

I don't understand how it is a bigger buyout than Nate's, when Nate's contract was larger and the ink hadn't even dried on it. We definitely lost big time on that one.

I know that the loss is still raw for you guys and I really don’t want to annoy you with questions, so just tell me to shut up and buzz off if you want. But are there people on Lances staff that you absolutely don’t want to lose?  Who do you think he will want to take to Illinois with him?  

1 minute ago, Illinifan said:

I know that the loss is still raw for you guys and I really don’t want to annoy you with questions, so just tell me to shut up and buzz off if you want. But are there people on Lances staff that you absolutely don’t want to lose?  Who do you think he will want to take to Illinois with him?  

He will want to take everyone with him.

1 minute ago, Illinifan said:

Unlike Coach Quinn prior, who had a lot of turnover, Lance's coordinators stuck around. We were not a happy bunch early on in Lance's time and called for replacements, but the staff stuck together and started winning. But at this point, unlike when Oats left, I don't think most UB fans care if the entire staff departs.

• Like 1

Just now, skrabukes said:

He will want to take everyone with him.

My guess is that we will let him. I’m not going to pretend to have watched any games outside of this one but that defense was really unimpressive at first glance. But honestly, it was mostly the second quarter.  I thought that some of your play calling on 3rd downs was suspect and your qb never kept the ball once on the read option.  But player execution hurt you guys at very big times tonight as well. The interception in the, I think 3rd quarter, was just really weak effort by the WR and the drop on 4th down late in the red zone can’t happen. If you make both of those plays, you probably win. 

6 minutes ago, Illinifan said:

... I’m not going to pretend to have watched any games outside of this one but that defense was really unimpressive at first glance. ...

It’s not an excuse, but since you haven’t followed, I’ll say that the defense has sustained a majority of the injuries/illnesses this season. 

22 minutes ago, Illinifan said:

My guess is that we will let him. I’m not going to pretend to have watched any games outside of this one but that defense was really unimpressive at first glance. But honestly, it was mostly the second quarter.  I thought that some of your play calling on 3rd downs was suspect and your qb never kept the ball once on the read option.  But player execution hurt you guys at very big times tonight as well. The interception in the, I think 3rd quarter, was just really weak effort by the WR and the drop on 4th down late in the red zone can’t happen. If you make both of those plays, you probably win. 

He built a great program for sure but he's not good in tough games. Look at the last two MAC championships.  UB blew a 19-point 4th Q lead to Northern Illinois in 2018.

Did you watch today's game? What did you think of his play calling? Or his decision not to kick to make it a one-score game? 

Also keep in mind it took 3 seasons for UB to have a winning season under Lance.

6 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

He built a great program for sure but he's not good in tough games. Look at the last two MAC championships.  UB blew a 19-point 4th Q lead to Northern Illinois in 2018.

Did you watch today's game? What did you think of his play calling? Or his decision not to kick to make it a one-score game? 

Also keep in mind it took 3 seasons for UB to have a winning season under Lance.

I did watch today’s game. I thought that 3rd down play calling was poor, but at times the execution was poor too. But honestly I was hoping for more from the offense, especially in the second half. No excuse to only get 7 points tonight. I was “ok” with him not kicking the FG. But I’m just assuming he didn’t have high confidence in his kicker. Plus Lovie Smith never saw a 50+ yard FG that he didn’t like so it was refreshing to see a coach trust his offense to convert in those situations. And the right play was called, but the receiver dropped it. 

Im not worried about a rebuild taking 3 years. We’ve been in a 30 year rebuild...

our fans arent exactly excited about a liepold hire. 

Congrats Illini, you just received the least motivating coach of all time. He managed to pump up his team enough to lose to an FCS school 1 year after crushing them by 37. He led a team to a brutal loss in the MAC Championship after holding a 19pt lead late in the third. He led a team to lose the MAC Championship again 2 yrs later when they were favored by two touchdowns. He also thought it was a great idea to start a freshman QB over a proven commodity so he could attempt an RPO offense where we went 2-4 before an injury to that freshman finally derailed his experiment so the original projected QB could come back in and proceed to go 6-1. He hasn't won a big game unless you think Rutgers is good.

I love Lance as a person, I have loved his interviews, and the culture he has built. He is a genuine dude and I enjoyed watching him succeed against crap teams like Akron. But his attachment to his god awful D3 coordinators was a massive mistake. Kotelnicki constantly managed to outthink himself and Borland, despite his moments, was often over his head. If Lance is headed to Urbana-Champaign then I really hope he takes those guys with him.

Illini, I expect you'll have some great wins against Rutgers and down-and-out Nebraska, but I wouldn't bet on competing with the OSU's anytime with this staff.

Just to add to my last remarks, we are NOT a top-25 team. The only reason we were considered one is because Patterson went on a friggin tear against Kent State and turned some heads with his ridiculous stats. Otherwise, we are just the benefactors of an easy schedule and the fact that no MAC team played a nonconference game to show where they actually stood against other conferences. If you think that Lance somehow took over a 4-6 program and made them a true top-25 program then you are delusional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Just to add to my last remarks, we are NOT a top-25 team. The only reason we were considered one is because Patterson went on a friggin tear against Kent State and turned some heads with his ridiculous stats. Otherwise, we are just the benefactors of an easy schedule and the fact that no MAC team played a nonconference game to show where they actually stood against other conferences. If you think that Lance somehow took over a 4-6 program and made them a true top-25 program then you are delusional.

The same with JP and Heisman talk, just the benefit of this oddball season. Just for fun, a great ride but nothing too serious in light of so many other programs being limited. Like burning it up to start 4-0 in 2018, yet we only received 8 votes between both polls. Then crashing hard vs Army...that's what tonight felt like for me; The reality that we are a very solid MAC program, but not yet an elite G5 program.

The Kent St romp slingshotted us, just like UB beating a ranked WVU in basketball got us in the Top 25 and we rolled with it. Without that win Top 25 for a MAC team to even reach #25 is a challenge.

16 hours ago, Illinifan said:

The illini players are starting to let it leak out that they have already been told that the new coach is Leipold. 

So without any link or source everyone here believes that this first post from some guy who signed up on the board in the middle of the game.  Whether it pans out or not believing some first time poster to have inside information at a Big 10 school is a little bit ridiculous.

Some place on the old board there was a post that Jim Hofher was talked about on a Syracuse postgame show as possible replacement for Greg Robinson.  There was absolutely no basis to that caller's comment.  I should know because I was the one who called into the show and started the rumor.  The show was being hosted by the son of one of my housemates at UB and I was having some fun with the call.  The host knew it was me when I called in.

So just be wary of unsubstantiated comments, it could be just somebody trying to troll someone else's fan base.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 2

I thought the Illini poster and comments were a bit out of left field..  So during halftime, i looked at some of the Illinois football message boards.  Sure enough there were long threads about Leipold and the game.  Where there is smoke, there's usually fire.  I also saw a poll online regarding his potential hire at Illinois and 58% said no.  This was after the game.  The final result last night has hurt Lance's street cred...at least for the moment.  Maybe if they get a Bowl game and roll, people's impressions of him will be back to positive.  Interestingly enough, there were several posters more interested in getting the Kent State head coach.

I do like LL and hope he stays put.  He runs a solid program...just can't seem to win the conference title.  They seem to have several good recruits lined up. If he leaves and takes his staff that can't be good.

But if he does leave, I'll be excited for a new era.