Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ SUx [12/19 - 6:00pm]

Jeseph

Syracuse is hit or miss this season, if they are cold they could easily be beat but if players like Girard, Boeheim and Griffin have a good game we are in for some trouble. It’s going to be hard to penetrate their zone and we will need to hit some threes. Rebounding will be key as well Mballa, Bertram, Hardnett and possibly Skogman will be put to the test against another great rebounding team. I’m confident we can upset Cuse, if they go cold from the arc.

• Like 1

Hopefully with a few games under his belt now, Brewton can step up and be the zone-buster we'll need him to be. Rondo should be good for some drive-and-kick action, just need to cash in. 

It's too bad this has to overlap with the Bills game. Start time should line up with halftime of that game, but will have to make it a 2 screen experience for the 2nd half.

I feel like Buffalo matches up pretty well athletically so I think it’ll come down to hitting 3’s, and coaching. Maybe the team plays with more energy with a coach by committee plan like they did against Miami. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if UB does by chance win against Syracuse, and then how the team plays once Whitesell comes back. 

The problem is that we don't "drive and kick it out" we just drive and drive until we either make a layup or get blocked. Our passing has been pretty awful. I expect Cuse to have about 900 blocks on Graves and Williams unless we figure out how to move the ball around on offense. 

40 minutes ago, clodney said:

The problem is that we don't "drive and kick it out" we just drive and drive until we either make a layup or get blocked. Our passing has been pretty awful. I expect Cuse to have about 900 blocks on Graves and Williams unless we figure out how to move the ball around on offense. 

so we're at 300 TOs and 900 blocks against 😅

18 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

so we're at 300 TOs and 900 blocks against 😅

Yep. I just haven't seen anything this year that makes me think we have the ball movement and outside shooting to take advantage of the zone. We aren't going to be able to drive down the lane the way we have been. I'm no basketball expert though so maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, clodney said:

Yep. I just haven't seen anything this year that makes me think we have the ball movement and outside shooting to take advantage of the zone. We aren't going to be able to drive down the lane the way we have been. I'm no basketball expert though so maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

I'm assuming you missed the Miami game then?  Because we shot 42% from three in that game.  Do that in the Dome on Saturday and we win.

I agree with everything everyone has said.  Plain and simple this game comes down to our ability to handle the zone.  Something that stifled us last season. The obvious ways to do that are drive and kick (looking at you Rondo) and knocking down outside shots (looking at you Graves and Brewton).  But subtle ways to beat the zone are offensive rebounding (looking at you Mballa) and the foul line entry pass.  When we played against zone Ds in the past we would flash a guard in that spot.  Traditionally teams flash a big to that spot.  I feel we are versatile and can flash Williams, Mballa or a guard to that spot.  Might be something we can exploit.  And the final way to beat the zone is to get out and run.  Should be an interesting game.  A good test to see if Miami was a flash in the pan or something we can sustain throughout the season.  Go Bulls!

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

I'm assuming you missed the Miami game then?  Because we shot 42% from three in that game.  Do that in the Dome on Saturday and we win.

To each's own but I don't agree that it's as simple as that. We're shooting 31% on the year from 3pt so one good shooting game against one of the worst teams in the conference might not be a good gauge. The good news is that our 3pt% has increased every game this season so perhaps you're right. We'll see. 

I just think it's a completely different beast going up against the 2-3 zone. We haven't shown great perimeter ball movement imo and that's what it takes to get open looks against a team like Syracuse. Either that or you try to outrun them with transition offense and I'm just not sure we have the speed that we used to a couple years ago to play that type of game against high talent teams.

45 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Our best player and senior leader has dipped his shooting percentage by a lot. You generally see an INCREASE from senior first-teamers. 

I think its more than alright to guess that UB will struggle against a 2-3 zone this year in which they don't have a CJ/Harris and a really scoring threat like NickP

That’s for sure. He must step up in this game and maybe hit free throws for a change. Shooting 50% from the line so far this year is embarrassing. This is the game I hope brewton gets hot and carries us with that zone. 

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Guess everyone is watching the Bills. But our Bulls are playing well. Executing against the zone, rebounding and playing tough defense. A few rough stretches but we can win this game. Playing with spirit and fire.

Agree looking good right now

That was the best half in the Whitesell era. And he’s not on the sidelines. We haven’t gotten out in transition like that since Oats. Which was a prior point I tried to make...that under Whitesell this team is in an identity crisis bc players wanna run and gun and attack while Whitesell wants to coach a slower style. At one point off a defensive rebound Thorpe was swinging his arms to encourage the team to push tempo. Refreshing to see. That is who we are. Now we gotta keep it up. Play two halves. Unlike times last year.