Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ SUx [12/19 - 6:00pm]

Jeseph

Officiating was horrible in this game. We had to be up big to have a chance in this game close game was gonna go to Syracuse. Graves I feel just doesn’t have great basketball IQ in crunch time. He makes a great steal but then turns it right back over in multiple instances which led to easy buckets, secure the ball first before you push it. And that dunk to end the game he had lot of time to make a hesitation and easy bucket, I feel like massingburg would score that bucked every time..

Play like that in the MAC, and they'll be a top seed.  I've been encouraged these past two games.  They're about to get even more battle-tested with games against Bona and West Virginia.  Even if they lose both, which is likely, they keep playing like this, and they can make noise in the MAC.

While agree with @UBlearnsand @skrabukes I am tired of moral victories with this bunch. Too often we play lights out 30 minutes then fold and crumble and have bad body language looking to fight at the end of games. We are very capable of winning the MAC but until I see us close out games I’m convinced it will be like last season. This was a good test and everything you want in a non conference game. But we gotta close. Still haven’t learned to close. This bunch will be define by their inability to close.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

While agree with @UBlearnsand @skrabukes I am tired of moral victories with this bunch. Too often we play lights out 30 minutes then fold and crumble and have bad body language looking to fight at the end of games. We are very capable of winning the MAC but until I see us close out games I’m convinced it will be like last season. This was a good test and everything you want in a non conference game. But we gotta close. Still haven’t learned to close. This bunch will be define by their inability to close.

I would've rather seen the win but it looked much better than the BG game and other spots in the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Coaching is middling at best (why Alnutt thought old dog Whitesell would be different than he was every other time he's coached is a myster) and the team lacks leadership.  Everyone hoped Graves would be the heir apparent to Wes Clark and then CJ.  He isn't a leader.  That's ok, not everyone can or should be.  But they do not have the mature, strong leader that you need.  Lots of talent but little direction.  IMO good coaching can make up for a lack of strong leaders on the court, but they won't get that from Whitesell.  

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Completely agree. This was a bad loss no way around it. Tired of people on here with patting team on back. We were clearly the better team and lost. I don’t fully blame the team some of the foul calls were atrocious but we gotta games away. The program should be held to higher standard..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ubbulls84 said:

The program should be held to higher standard..

This...100%. We should be held to the bar that we set over the last 5+ years. Not regress to moral victories. If this was a young team I’d be happy with a moral victory. But we got guys on this team who were around when we won the MAC. They should know what it takes and what the expectations are. At a certain point, until proven otherwise, we are who we are. That team that could win the MAC if.

• Thanks 1

Completely agree. This was a bad loss no way around it. Tired of people on here with patting team on back. We were clearly the better team and lost. I don’t fully blame the team some of the foul calls were atrocious but we gotta games away. The program should be held to higher standard..

Yup.  This team won 4 of 5 conference championships and spent an entire season ranked in the top 25.  Anything short of seriously competing for the top spot in the conference just about every year is a disappointment and failure.  Period.  End of story.  The University at Buffalo is one of the largest and best public universities in the nation and is playing fucking horrifically bad safety schools like Akron and Eastern Michigan.  Alnutt had all the momentum in the world to try and push UB athletics to a new level and chose to go safe and boring with Whitesell.  

• Like 1

I mean, I'm not patting them on the back, but I'm also not gonna act like the sky is falling or trash the coaching when they took Syracuse to overtime at the Dome.  As much as we all wish for the best for UB, we gotta understand that this isn't 2018 anymore and taking a solid ACC team to overtime isn't the end of the world.  Blowing leads against MAC opposition is one thing, blowing a lead on the road at Syracuse is another.  I understand the frustration, but I won't get bent out of shape over this one....I'm looking ahead to the upcoming games and hoping to see progress.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UBlearns said:

I mean, I'm not patting them on the back, but I'm also not gonna act like the sky is falling or trash the coaching when they took Syracuse to overtime at the Dome.  As much as we all wish for the best for UB, we gotta understand that this isn't 2018 anymore and taking a solid ACC team to overtime isn't the end of the world.  Blowing leads against MAC opposition is one thing, blowing a lead on the road at Syracuse is another.  I understand the frustration, but I won't get bent out of shape over this one....I'm looking ahead to the upcoming games and hoping to see progress.

That's a Mark Alnutt level of ambition right there.  Content with being a solid MAC program.