Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ SUx [12/19 - 6:00pm]

Jeseph

1 minute ago, UBigbobby said:

That's a Mark Alnutt level of ambition right there.  Content with being a solid MAC program.  

Ok, sure.  Burn down the program, fire the entire coaching staff, fire the AD, and bench all of the starters because we lost to Syracuse.  Remember when they got beaten by Kentucky after a solid first half in 2014?  Should've fired Hurley.  Losses to Creighton, Xavier, Duke, Iowa State, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Bona (multiple times). Should've fired Oats.

What is the solution?  Fire Whitesell and coaching staff right now?

1 minute ago, UBlearns said:

Ok, sure.  Burn down the program, fire the entire coaching staff, fire the AD, and bench all of the starters because we lost to Syracuse.  Remember when they got beaten by Kentucky after a solid first half in 2014?  Should've fired Hurley.  Losses to Creighton, Xavier, Duke, Iowa State, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Bona (multiple times). Should've fired Oats.

What is the solution?  Fire Whitesell and coaching staff right now?

Whitesell should never have been the choice to take over for Oates in the first place.  I wouldn't make a change mid-season, and my opinion on Whitesell and Alnutt have NOTHING to do with this single game but rather with the stifling of momentum from the program and a utter lack of desire to build something more.  Half the board wanted to run Danny White out of town because of a damn name tweak, but at least he had vision and tried to build UB athletics into something more than a MAC also-ran.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UBigbobby said:

Whitesell should never have been the choice to take over for Oates in the first place.  I wouldn't make a change mid-season, and my opinion on Whitesell and Alnutt have NOTHING to do with this single game but rather with the stifling of momentum from the program and a utter lack of desire to build something more.  Half the board wanted to run Danny White out of town because of a damn name tweak, but at least he had vision and tried to build UB athletics into something more than a MAC also-ran.  

I don't really disagree with any of this, for what it's worth.  I just don't know what you can do midseason to fix it.

16 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I mean, I'm not patting them on the back, but I'm also not gonna act like the sky is falling or trash the coaching when they took Syracuse to overtime at the Dome.  As much as we all wish for the best for UB, we gotta understand that this isn't 2018 anymore and taking a solid ACC team to overtime isn't the end of the world.  Blowing leads against MAC opposition is one thing, blowing a lead on the road at Syracuse is another.  I understand the frustration, but I won't get bent out of shape over this one....I'm looking ahead to the upcoming games and hoping to see progress.

We were the more talented team and lost this one. You might say eh it isn’t the end of the world and I’d agree with you there. But think about what it would be like with recruiting when you got a New York kid who you’d be able to sell hey we beat Syracuse last 2 times we played them. It’s the momentum this program built that we want to build on. I agree with UBigbobby. We have plenty of veterans on this team, we should have won this game and choked it away. Needed to put the gas on when up 8 we let them hang around and lost because of it.  

• Like 1

Loving the discussion here. On the bright side, Segu made a big shot to send it to OT and at least showed signs of being the leader/closer we need. At this point we know Graves is never gonna be that guy so even if it wasn't enough in the end tonight, something to build on. Just hope we actually take the positives from this stretch without Whitesell on the bench and don't revert to the same old same old going forward.

• Like 1

This was disappointing no doubt, a lot of this game down the stretch is on the coaching staff

Would like to mention we lost to SU in cj/perk/Harris junior year and this is Williams/segu/mballa junior year

I just hope I continue to see the communication that ive seen the last 2 games (coaches and players) because if that happens a lot more wins are coming

11 hours ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Loving the discussion here. On the bright side, Segu made a big shot to send it to OT and at least showed signs of being the leader/closer we need. At this point we know Graves is never gonna be that guy so even if it wasn't enough in the end tonight, something to build on. Just hope we actually take the positives from this stretch without Whitesell on the bench and don't revert to the same old same old going forward.

I think its safe to say that this team goes through Williams and Mballa.  Graves will have his games where he goes off but expecting him to carry us is the definition of insanity.  And that's fine.  He can be a great robin.  Mballa was great and can only get better, especially when he gets his conditioning up to speed.  He needs to come off the bench bc he gets into foul trouble easy.  And if he cuts down his turnovers he can be a force in the MAC.  

Last night a key area of concern was our handling of the press.  That got us out of our offensive rhythm.  Its clear we need another ball handler.  Nickelberry has been 10x better than a year ago but we need to get Rondo PG help.  Any word on Robinson? He would alleviate the load on Rondo.  Again we aren't asking players like Robinson, Bertram, Nickelberry, Fagan and Hardnett to carry the load.  They are role players.  Just contribute valuable minutes when called upon. Our main guys are Mballa, Williams, Rondo, Brewton and Graves.  Those are the guys who need to be the scorers and go to guys.  The creators for others.  They can make it easier for role players to excel.  The first 35 minutes of that game made me believe we are tournament caliber team. We need to carry that for a whole game. Then carry it for stretches of games.  Then that will prove to me that we can win 3 straight in Cleveland.

First let me say that this isn't a post to debate the pros / cons of hiring Whitesell.  But I want to put out there some food for thought.  First I decided to look at some rankings in A110 for past 10 years to determine who were best teams.  Based on rankings seems like VCU and Dayton were top teams during that time. 

image.png.b4bf527cae2037d9720e53f65fbe291c.png

During that time the coaches typically made between $1M to $2M with time with team generally 3-5 years before moving to P5 school.  So a couple of thoughts / questions.

• Since even paying $1M-$2M a year for a coach, you lose them every 3-5 years, the team is forced to make good coaching choices often to achieve sustained success.  Dayton appears to have made a great decision with Anthony Grant.
  • Seems like the salary range we are currently in - hire should be someone early in his career - possibly looking for first head coach opportunity.
  • Can this be accomplished via a promote from within?  That worked out real well with Oats.

I don't have the answers - but Alnutt should be thinking about next coach at all times.  Just my opinion.

I'm proud of the way the team competed yesterday.   A couple years ago they won there because they were the better team - yesterday they were not, they were playing well but it was a matter of time before SU got going.  It's clear that they need Mballa in there for that inside presence and for a balanced attack.  I like how Segu and Williams have progressed and grown as players the past two seasons.  I still feel the team lacks that go-to guy when it matters (like CJ was).  Too often last year they fizzled out down the stretch of a close game because of that.  I like Graves but he's not that guy.  Seeing Rondo hit that big 3 at the end yesterday, maybe he's the one.

I don't come here much anymore, the omnipresent negativity from such a large portion of the fanbase about the team and Whitesell is a deterrent.

4 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

What did Segu do to get a tech in the last 5 seconds?

I just rewatched end of game...you see Segu approaching one of the Syracuse players, but they go off camera.  Suspect at minimum something was said, maybe a shove, the announcers never really mention technical or why Syracuse had two foul shots.  It was tense at the end.

11 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I just rewatched end of game...you see Segu approaching one of the Syracuse players, but they go off camera.  Suspect at minimum something was said, maybe a shove, the announcers never really mention technical or why Syracuse had two foul shots.  It was tense at the end.

That is because the announcers were not in Syracuse.

• Thanks 1