Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Patterson First Team All-American

BrooklynBull

I have my concerns about Patterson coming out. I hope it’s not my desire to have him back, but it’s feeling like a Tyree Jackson situation all over again. He is a very good running back and think he can do well at the next level, but I am worried that a few things will be held against him. He didn’t finish the season strong in the MACC, plus now he has an injury that everyone will need to research deeply. He’s still 5’9” which was an issue coming to college, it will be held against him again. He comes from a MAC school, so that shaves some points from him. I see these draft rankings and I don’t see him any higher than 8 wherever I look. I don’t think his combine will be eye popping so that will likely not bump him. What makes him special doesn’t show up in the combine except maybe the interview portion. I really hope it works out for the young man, whichever way it goes. I hope he gets better advise than Tyree, but people in the business don’t always tell the truth.

Either way, thanks for a great season, getting UB some national attention and being such a great, humble young man. Best of luck whatever you decide!

I totally agree with you that if he didn’t get hurt and he also had a great MAC championship & bowl game  performances I think that makes his decisions fairly easy to declare for the draft. With the injury he’s going to have to prove certain things during the draft process. He isn’t going to blow anyone away during the combine because that’s just not the type of player he is. Those events are for guys that look good in shirts & shorts. Jaret is a football player and I feel like the combine would do him a disservice. I personally also feel like with all those uncertainty he should still leave. The difference between this situation and Tyree’s is the position they play. You don’t want to come back and put another 300 carries on your body that I actually feel like decreases your value with the shelve life running backs have. Go to the NFL even if he ends up getting drafted in day 2/3(a steal for any team) his performance ultimately will get him his second contract even if he ends up sliding in the draft. We’ve seen recently during the draft that RB’s from any rounds can make an immediate impact and get more chances to show what they can do unlike the QB position. I see both sides, if I was advising him I would tell him to declare for the draft and if he is good enough he will find a home and get paid eventually. 

We should know by Jan 16th (in or around that date -- the NCAA has not fixed the declaration deadline yet, if I recall correctly).

I am conflicted.  On one hand, RBs have a short shelf life, so you have to get early.   However, you need to make $$$ on the first contract and, thus, you need to be drafted high to make it worthwhile.   Thus, if you aren't going to get drafted high, why come out?  

On the other hand, if he doesn't come out, he will get "buzz" in the spring/summer...perhaps UB can push a Heisman campaign.  If he does well early in the fall, he can get on those "Top 5" Heisman lists.  The more he is talked about, the more he will get on draft lists.    He certainly will have big games for UB running the ball next year.

Bottom line is that I don't see him being a high draft pick (maybe late rounds, if at all).  Some places have him in the top 10, others outside the top 15.    I am certainly biased and I want him back at UB!   However, I wish him well in whatever he decides.

Go Bulls.

I have only one hope for Patterson before he decides t stay or come out.  I hope that he talks to Mack and Jackson.  One came back and one did not.  He should talk to both hear what the were both being told by whomever they were listening to pre-draft and what ultimately led to their decisions.  Also remember that Quinn "re-recruited" Mack after the 2012 season.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 4:39 PM, UBinMD said:

I have my concerns about Patterson coming out. I hope it’s not my desire to have him back, but it’s feeling like a Tyree Jackson situation all over again. He is a very good running back and think he can do well at the next level, but I am worried that a few things will be held against him. He didn’t finish the season strong in the MACC, plus now he has an injury that everyone will need to research deeply. He’s still 5’9” which was an issue coming to college, it will be held against him again. He comes from a MAC school, so that shaves some points from him. I see these draft rankings and I don’t see him any higher than 8 wherever I look. I don’t think his combine will be eye popping so that will likely not bump him. What makes him special doesn’t show up in the combine except maybe the interview portion. I really hope it works out for the young man, whichever way it goes. I hope he gets better advise than Tyree, but people in the business don’t always tell the truth.

Either way, thanks for a great season, getting UB some national attention and being such a great, humble young man. Best of luck whatever you decide!

His situation isn’t even remotely close to Tyree Jackson. Patterson has peaked and he has nothing left to prove. He will be drafted and definitely make an impact somewhere. He has the IQ to be great, great vision, ability to make guys miss tackles. He will be gone latest 4th round.

1 minute ago, mikescherrer8 said:

His situation isn’t even remotely close to Tyree Jackson. Patterson has peaked and he has nothing left to prove. He will be drafted and definitely make an impact somewhere. He has the IQ to be great, great vision, ability to make guys miss tackles. He will be gone latest 4th round.

All depends on his 40

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

He has one thing to prove.  Can he catch a pass out of the backfield, in todays NFL without being a pass catcher you do not go high in the draft.  If LL will commit to throwing him some screens and making him a part of whatever passing we have he should stay one more year

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Patterson had a Zoom meetup with the Titans today. So is JP really a draft target for teams? As good as he was at UB I didn't think he had the physical gifts to be elite in the NFL.

From one of the latest mock drafts I saw 2 RB taken in the first round, but both late. If that’s the case JP may be a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. We will see how it plays out. Hopefully he ends up in a place that has a good OL and can flourish. I also hope he has been working on his pass catching as that is a requirement at the next level to go with the running and blocking.

18 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Patterson had a Zoom meetup with the Titans today. So is JP really a draft target for teams? As good as he was at UB I didn't think he had the physical gifts to be elite in the NFL.

He really reminds me of Clyde Edwards-Helaire out of LSU... similar build, similar running style - if he can catch out of the backfield he should do really well.

https://lsusports.net/sports/football/roster/clyde-edwards-helaire/20233

15 hours ago, myBuffalo said:

He really reminds me of Clyde Edwards-Helaire out of LSU... similar build, similar running style - if he can catch out of the backfield he should do really well.

https://lsusports.net/sports/football/roster/clyde-edwards-helaire/20233

That's the thing. Lance never used him that way. He's going to have to show he can catch.