Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

On 12/6/2018 at 2:49 AM, xDerekRx said:

Im still in awe by it. Being a fan for almost 2 decades though I appreciate it and live in the moment. I don't take anything for granted. Every day we show up on the top 25 line at the bottom of ESPN I smile because as amazing as this is, its incredibly tough to do. I never thought Id see us ranked in my lifetime. 350+ D1 teams, even if you are a great team in the MAC being ranked isn't really possible. I was fine with just seeing a #25 next to our name for 1 day. Didn't care after that. But the train keeps going, up to #17. I still feel the same way, enjoying it each day. I even got giddy seeing #17 on the program I bought at todays game. That will be a keepsake forever. Although hopefully we beat Bona which would mean the SIU game program we should be ranked the same or possibly even higher.

Just noticed San Fran blew out Cal 79-60 in their first game back too. Makes that win look even better although Cal appears quite down this year, its still a nice name win. SIU has also been very good recently.

We really have 4 tough games coming up

Well said also Derek. Also being a fan for decades our family is enjoying the moment. I agree it is great to see our UB name on ESPN. As UB85 has said we need to appreciate what we are seeing and experiencing. In the case of Bona you can see what happens from one year to the next. They lose their top two players to graduation and the next year starts out with promise with returning players and the potential of new players. With injuries and players not meshing together right out of the gate the season can go in a different direction. Enjoy the ride and Go Bulls!!!!

Don't be too disappointed if UB stays 17 next week. Not a lot of bad losses among the teams above us. Kentucky will take a hit but no guarantee they'll end up below us. Same with Wisconsin. Kansas State will drop down for sure. Mississippi State and Nebraska will climb. Marquette will be back in the top 25, Syracuse should be too (sorry Furman) Tough to say what they'll do with Iowa. 

UB won't move up much this week unless teams 10-15 absolutely implode.  UB beat a D2 school and a fairly poor A10 school.  They did what they're supposed to do but nothing that will likely move the needle.  Maybe a spot or two but I doubt higher than 15.  Next chance to make a move will be Syracuse and Marquette, though SIU could be a speedbump.  They'll need to stay focused.  No one escaped the MAC unscathed, so they probably need to win all their out of conference games except either Cuse OR Marquette, and then only take one or two MAC losses to good MAC teams to remain ranked and have a good seed.  

Good news for UB is that finally pretty much all the AP voters have UB in their top 25 except some mouthbreather from Kansas City who has 4-3 Florida in his top 25.  

Edited by UBigbobby

2 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

If a voter understands (and not many may), a road win at the RC against an improving SBU team is a very good win.

I fear most will not.  Take a look at the voters and the way they've voted.  Look at where most of them are from.  It also doesn't help that the Bonnies haven't been a truly good A10 program since the 70s.  This is far from a throw away win, but the USF and SIU wins move the needle more than 4-6 Bonas.  At the end of the day, I doubt many of the voters will do much more than look at UB and go, "oh they're stil undefeated, gotta find some room in my poll".

7 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

I fear most will not.  Take a look at the voters and the way they've voted.  Look at where most of them are from.  It also doesn't help that the Bonnies haven't been a truly good A10 program since the 70s.  This is far from a throw away win, but the USF and SIU wins move the needle more than 4-6 Bonas.  At the end of the day, I doubt many of the voters will do much more than look at UB and go, "oh they're stil undefeated, gotta find some room in my poll".

They will. They’re all AP voters who read the AP articles. Check out the AP article I posted on the game thread. UB hasn’t won there in over 100 years. Bona best the last 5 ranked teams they played at the RC. 

I am not sure the Bulls will move up much.  The AP voters do like momentum so just staying undefeated has been enough to move up but they have historically not let teams from single bid conferences move up too much higher than we are right now without some big wins over ranked teams.  We don't have a win over anyone currently ranked.  The win over WVU got us into the rankings but WVU hasn't beat anyone in the NET top-100.  USF looked good but their schedule has been really weak.  Which makes me nervous that maybe the team is over ranked and that a string of a few losses will make the committee turn on the Bulls for an at-large slot.  Need to win this week.