Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

But what you say isn't true.  Gonzaga is an outlier.  Remember there are about 60 or 70 P5 schools...and the other nearly 300 are not.

Let's look right in our own conference, the MAC, for sustained excellence:  Kent State.  They may not be able to read or write, but they can play basketball. 

From 1998-99 to 2012-13, Kent State won 20 games in all of those seasons except one (they won 19 that year, 2008-09).  According to your premise, if you "just keep winning...top tier programs will come play you".   So...it is easy to look at what happened during the last several years for Kent State during that time since they "kept winning" for many years in a row.  Note that I include 2013-14 since that is the year after they won 21 games in 2012-13 season.

OOC Home Games for KSU

2013-14:    Ohio Northern, St. Peters, Western Carolina, USC-Upstate, Niagara, YSU, Kennesaw State, Bucknell, Cleveland State
2012-13:   Rochester, Drexel, Temple, Chicago State, Valpo, Bethune-Cookman, Princeton, St. Francis, Arkansas State, Fairmont State
2011-12:   Rochester, Alcorn State, Cleveland State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Morehead State, UAB, Shawnee State
2010-11:  Rochester, Robert Morris, Furman, Lehigh, Louisiana-Monroe, Youngstown State, James Madison

Just because you say things, doesn't make it true. 

So...if Graham Couch is going to call out teams for not playing road games in a silly way (i.e. by not ranking them), I am for it.  We have only a very little voice to begin with (i.e. the mid-majors), so we have to take what we can get.  Otherwise...1-bid MAC and 10-bid B1G with a team that has 16 losses.

Like you said, just because you say things doesn’t make it true - Kent State has not had sustained basketball excellence. They’ve been good - for the MAC. They had a great run in 2002. Other than that, they’ve won ONE tournament game. So one great year, and one pretty good year. 

By keep winning and they’ll play you, I’m talking about keep winning, like now. Signature wins. Tourney wins.  In the national conversation. Not a 22-14 and 10-8 in conf. Would you call that record in the ACC basketball excellence? So why are you calling that excellence in the MAC? This argument is like the bad old days of Reggie - we won 20 games (against scrubs)! Woohoo!

And AGAIN, Graham don’t give no flying fucks who those road games are played against  this isn’t going to help teams looking to step up. You guys are totally conflating two things  

1 hour ago, ed said:

Like you said, just because you say things doesn’t make it true - Kent State has not had sustained basketball excellence. They’ve been good - for the MAC. They had a great run in 2002. Other than that, they’ve won ONE tournament game. So one great year, and one pretty good year. 

By keep winning and they’ll play you, I’m talking about keep winning, like now. Signature wins. Tourney wins.  In the national conversation. Not a 22-14 and 10-8 in conf. Would you call that record in the ACC basketball excellence? So why are you calling that excellence in the MAC? This argument is like the bad old days of Reggie - we won 20 games (against scrubs)! Woohoo!

And AGAIN, Graham don’t give no flying fucks who those road games are played against  this isn’t going to help teams looking to step up. You guys are totally conflating two things  

These are good conversations and there are always going to be varied opinions but we have to end with we just have to agree to disagree. I think it is time to say goodbye to anyone that has to start using the “f” word to try and make his point. Will continue to support our team at the mid major level with passion. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

These are good conversations and there are always going to be varied opinions but we have to end with we just have to agree to disagree. I think it is time to say goodbye to anyone that has to start using the “f” word to try and make his point. Will continue to support our team at the mid major level with passion. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Not looking for anyone to be removed from the site, but F-bombs are just not appropriate in any situation, let alone something like this.

The f-bomb is TOTALLY appropriate for MANY situations. And it's not required to make my point - it's just totally appropriate in context.  😄

It's not like I'm insulting anyone or dropping it amongst pre-teens; just saying Graham doesn't give a fuck about mid majors not being able to get good games at home.  😛

26 minutes ago, ed said:

The f-bomb is TOTALLY appropriate for MANY situations. And it's not required to make my point - it's just totally appropriate in context.  😄

It's not like I'm insulting anyone or dropping it amongst pre-teens; just saying Graham doesn't give a fuck about mid majors not being able to get good games at home.  😛

Ed, you need to calm down.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

See all those smileys?  I'm calm, and having fun. 😄  

People bringing up bans (but not suggesting it), and upset over the 'f word'?  They need to relax.  😛

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Going back to the original topic of this conversation theres a bunch of games where ranked teams could fall this week. Let’s beat the snot out of Toledo and Miami since we’re finally back at home and watch pieces crumble around us in the rankings. 

Sustained success one game at a time 

50 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

It is not appropriate on a site like this. Maybe in the gutter. I have lost all respect for Ed and will not comment on your opinions. I hope you find a site that likes foul language. Hope for a great game with an enthusiastic crowd and Go Bulls!!!

6 hours ago, ed said:

A few things:

1.  I read past the profanity since it wasn't directed at me.  It isn't a big deal in my opinion.  I am surprised that this caused as much of a reaction than ot did.

2.  It is clear your definition of "sustained excellence" is much more restrictive than my own (or most people, I would gather).  But that's fine...it is your opinion.  Gonzaga is a very, very high bar, however.  I hope you are right and we do meet your definition some day.

I'm not going to clutch my pearls because ed dropped an f-bomb, especially since the f-bomb is part of my everyday language, but I do agree, I think we should keep it clean here, because even though most of us are adults and are just having fun discussing our team, you never know when someones kid is looking over shoulder and don't be that guy that causes the kid to learn the word if mom/dad don't want that.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

2.  It is clear your definition of "sustained excellence" is much more restrictive than my own (or most people, I would gather).  But that's fine...it is your opinion.  Gonzaga is a very, very high bar, however.  I hope you are right and we do meet your definition some day.

Yeah, different standards fo' sho'. But a 20 win season, in a relatively weak conference, is good-ish, at best. 😉 How many heart attacks were had when 20 win Syracuse, in the acc, was the last team in last year, despite them ultimately proving to be good enough for a sweet 16 run? Basketball excellence, imo, should be a program regularly in the running for an at large. That doesn't have to be a Gonzaga; I'm reasonable, I'll take Wichita State. 😄

20 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

I'm not going to clutch my pearls because ed dropped an f-bomb, especially since the f-bomb is part of my everyday language, but I do agree, I think we should keep it clean here, because even though most of us are adults and are just having fun discussing our team, you never know when someones kid is looking over shoulder and don't be that guy that causes the kid to learn the word if mom/dad don't want that.

😄 nobody, but nobody on the internet is first running into the f-bomb for the first time here! 😉

#24 loses to an unranked, #20 loses to an unranked, #15 loses to #12 (at home), #14 loses to an unranked in OT, #23 loses to #8. 

Oh and #19 wins by 30 over a decent Toledo team. Take care of things and next weeks ranking could be fun. Plus it’s only Tuesday

BEAT MIAMI (oh)

1 minute ago, weareub46 said:

#24 loses to an unranked, #20 loses to an unranked, #15 loses to #12 (at home), #14 loses to an unranked in OT, #23 loses to #8. 

Oh and #19 wins by 30 over a decent Toledo team. Take care of things and next weeks ranking could be fun. Plus it’s only Tuesday

BEAT MIAMI (oh)

This is going to help us by the end of the week if teams keep losing and if we beat Miami. Could not ask for a better night for upsets elsewhere and a 30 point victory over Toledo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, squire17 said:

Watched the entire game. Marquette got its first lead in OT. Creighton had the ball and the lead with .6 sec in regulation. Missed how they blew it.  One of the Hauser kids hit a bomb to tie it. Howard is freakish!

The refs changed the clock to .8 from .6. In any event, Creighton literally threw away the game. They inbounded from underneath their basket and threw a pass to half court that no one touched, thus clock did not start, and the ball then bounded out of bounds at the other end. Marquette therefore gets the ball for an inbounds pass at the same spot. They toss a lob pass to beyond the arc and Hauser catches, shoots and drills a 3. Refs called it good. Review was not conclusive as to whether the ball actually left his hand before the buzzer, easily could and perhaps should have gone other way, so they let the bucket stand. Marquette then blows them away in OT.

11 minutes ago, UB85 said:

The refs changed the clock to .8 from .6. In any event, Creighton literally threw away the game. They inbounded from underneath their basket and threw a pass to half court that no one touched, thus clock did not start, and the ball then bounded out of bounds at the other end. Marquette therefore gets the ball for an inbounds pass at the same spot. They toss a lob pass to beyond the arc and Hauser catches, shoots and drills a 3. Refs called it good. Review was not conclusive as to whether the ball actually left his hand before the buzzer, easily could and perhaps should have gone other way, so they let the bucket stand. Marquette then blows them away in OT.

Worst decision ever. Just drop the ball into the lane. At worst, they grab the ball and score 2 points and the game ends. To throw it far away with a chance to not be touched is moronic. Regardless, incredible play by MU on the inbounds catch and score. Also, Howard is ridiculous.