Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

Yea Howard is insane. Glad we aren’t the only ones who experienced his wrath lol. I think that he didn’t get the shot off in time in the end but it was super close and given the replay they had on hand there’s no way you can change it. Also the inbounds could’ve ended it. Kinda knew once it got to OT it would be all over and yet creighton fought and fought. Howard just doesn’t miss lol. 

In other news buffalo is up to #14 in the NET today 

#11 Auburn: Loss @ Ole Miss

#13 Florida State: Play #1 Duke on Saturday

#14 Mississippi State: Loss @ South Carolina

#15 NC State: Loss vs. UNC

#16 Ohio State: Loss @ Rutgers

#17 Houston: Loss @ Temple

#20 Iowa State: Loss @ Baylor

I am hoping that the Bulls can move up to at least #15 in next week's AP Poll

8 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Worst decision ever. Just drop the ball into the lane. At worst, they grab the ball and score 2 points and the game ends. To throw it far away with a chance to not be touched is moronic. Regardless, incredible play by MU on the inbounds catch and score. Also, Howard is ridiculous.

Totally agree. This one is all on McDermott.

How is this for a ranking prediction? Kenpom.com ranked Illinois 83rd on Nov 8th. After they lost at home against Michigan tonight they are ranked 109th! Illinois is 4-12. They are 0-5 in Big 10. You can’t make this stuff up. If they win a couple more, they’ll be on the bubble. Pathetic...

Here’s an update on the top 25 teams who have lost this week. 

11, Auburn, 1 loss

12, UNC, 1 loss

13, FSU, 1 loss

14, Mississippi State, 2 losses

15, NC State, 1 loss

16, Ohio State 2 losses

17, Houston, 1 loss

20, Iowa State, 2 losses

22, Indiana, 1 loss

23, Oklahoma, 1 loss

24, SJU, 1 loss

25, TCU, 2 losses

I imagine we’ll move up to 16 passing Houston, OSU and MSU.

I could possibly see us passing NC State but they also had a nice win today at home against a solid Pittsburgh team.

They could also penalize UNC pretty hard after they got beat by at home by Louisville by 21 today!

I see no risk of anyone to behind us jumping us. Ole Miss is likely to make the biggest jump after beating two top 15 teams this week including 1 on the road. 

• Like 3

Idk I could see Marquette jumping us and I’d be ok with that. Still it’s going to be great. If only Kentucky would’ve lost...lol 

I agree ole miss should be ranked and maybe k-state but I don’t think they could jump us 

Let’s go SF tonight!!!

Edited by weareub46
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

Idk I could see Marquette jumping us and I’d be ok with that. Still it’s going to be great. If only Kentucky would’ve lost...lol 

I agree ole miss should be ranked and maybe k-state but I don’t think they could jump us 

Let’s go SF tonight!!!

West Virginia is currently 0 - 4 in Big 12. So our victory there continues to lose its luster. Syracuse is currently an 11 seed per Lunardi...on the bubble. Southern Illinois - nowhere. San Francisco has been dropped from the in crowd by Lunardi. A Doms win against the Zags would bolster the Bulls’ body of work, but I suspect that UB will have to win the MAC conference tournament to qualify for the ‘Dance’. The MAC will get 1 bid.

4 minutes ago, squire17 said:

West Virginia is currently 0 - 4 in Big 12. So our victory there continues to lose its luster. Syracuse is currently an 11 seed per Lunardi...on the bubble. Southern Illinois - nowhere. San Francisco has been dropped from the in crowd by Lunardi. A Doms win against the Zags would bolster the Bulls’ body of work, but I suspect that UB will have to win the MAC conference tournament to qualify for the ‘Dance’. The MAC will get 1 bid.

I agree.  Especially since it seems no other team so far is going to separate itself from the pack with us.  The best chance for the MAC to be a two bid league is for us to run house during the regular season and lose in the conference championship game to the 2nd best team in the league.  And then our resume should get us in.  But I don't want to risk anything.  Take care of business and win the conference tourney.  

As much as the selection process is a complete sham as long as UB had no more than 2 MAC losses I still think they could lose in the MAC tourney and get an at large bid. I think they've made enough 'noise' this year for an at large and they will be ranked pretty much every week. I dont think it's going to matter though, they are gonna roll the MAC regular season and tourney. The more I watch this team no one in the MAC is even close to them. 

20 hours ago, squire17 said:

Imagine if we went to Morgantown now against a bad WVU team and managed to win in OT.  We would have been dropped hard.  Poll inertia has helped us a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rma said:

Imagine if we went to Morgantown now against a bad WVU team and managed to win in OT.  We would have been dropped hard.  Poll inertia has helped us a lot.

Morgantown is still a tough place to win a basketball game. #8 Texas Tech barely snuck out with a win there. UB’s win was also WVU’s home opener

Yeah I still love our OOC schedule performance. If WVU ends up at best a .500ish team or even a little less, its still a very good road win. San Fran looks very good still, they have a lot of decent wins and look like the #2 team in that conference. Syracuse to me is actually getting a bit stronger. They had a nice run since their loss to us, even despite the GT loss. We'll see how they progress but wouldn't be shocked if they end up an 11 type seed.

Even though some of these wins aren't homeruns anymore, I think Bulls have established themselves enough that if they lost in the Tournament final they would get an at large bid. I mean in theory if the Bulls won out until that point they could be like #15 the day before selection Sunday. The St Marys thing last year has people scared but Im not sure.

2 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Yeah I still love our OOC schedule performance. If WVU ends up at best a .500ish team or even a little less, its still a very good road win. San Fran looks very good still, they have a lot of decent wins and look like the #2 team in that conference. Syracuse to me is actually getting a bit stronger. They had a nice run since their loss to us, even despite the GT loss. We'll see how they progress but wouldn't be shocked if they end up an 11 type seed.

Even though some of these wins aren't homeruns anymore, I think Bulls have established themselves enough that if they lost in the Tournament final they would get an at large bid. I mean in theory if the Bulls won out until that point they could be like #15 the day before selection Sunday. The St Marys thing last year has people scared but Im not sure.

If they won out, they'd be much higher than #15. Heck, they may be up to 15 tomorrow, considering all of the losses by teams in the top 25 this week. There's no way if they go 18-0 they're not well into the top 10. One game at a time. It's fun to look forward to Monday to see the new rankings!

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

If they won out, they'd be much higher than #15. Heck, they may be up to 15 tomorrow, considering all of the losses by teams in the top 25 this week. There's no way if they go 18-0 they're not well into the top 10. One game at a time. It's fun to look forward to Monday to see the new rankings!

UVA, Duke, Mich, MichSt, Zaga, Tenn, VT, TT, Kansas, UNC.  That’s 10 teams right there that even if UB won out, they would have to fall on their faces for multiple weeks straight for UB to ever pass in the rankings.  I’d put UB’s ceiling at 12 with everything going perfectly.

3 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

UVA, Duke, Mich, MichSt, Zaga, Tenn, VT, TT, Kansas, UNC.  That’s 10 teams right there that even if UB won out, they would have to fall on their faces for multiple weeks straight for UB to ever pass in the rankings.  I’d put UB’s ceiling at 12 with everything going perfectly.

I disagree.  A team like TTU or VT could lose a few games on a row and leave the top 10.

What UB has in their favor is poll momentum and a gaudy record.  If they keep winning, it just looks better and better.  They've banked all of their best wins and now it is just making the record look as good as possible.

A big if...if UB wins all of their conference games, they will be 30 - 1 before the MACC.  That will get them in the Top 10, deserved or not.  If they get the autobid for winning the MACC, there will be articles that say  "Why not Buffalo for a #1 seed?"

We are in uncharted territory here.  Remember when St. Joes were the #1 team in the nation off a perfect regular season...their OOC was a great win vs Gonzaga and, I don't believe, a single P5 win.  They lost by a bunch in their conference tournament and still were given a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The momentum (polls, chatter, defeat of AZ last year, etc.) and a gaudy record...it could be a seed higher than reasonably expected.  However, we must keep winning.  I would say that 3 conference losses (depending on the team) would put us in bubble territory.

Go Bulls.  I will remember this season forever!

Edited by UB92
Typo