Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

14 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

The fact that UNC dropped one spot after losing at home to an unranked Louisville by 20 points is ridiculous. Also Louisville should be ranked (though they’re not far off)

Power program bias. It will be what blocks UB from the Top 10. There will need to be an utter collapse of teams above us to reach 10 or higher.

1 hour ago, weareub46 said:

The fact that UNC dropped one spot after losing at home to an unranked Louisville by 20 points is ridiculous. Also Louisville should be ranked (though they’re not far off)

Let's not ignore the fact that Kentucky jumped 6 spots with a 9pt win over Vandy. 6 spots? Really? I think that's a little presumptuous. A couple spots, sure, but not that many.

The Blue blood bias is strong...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UB92 said:

I disagree.  A team like TTU or VT could lose a few games on a row and leave the top 10.

What UB has in their favor is poll momentum and a gaudy record.  If they keep winning, it just looks better and better.  They've banked all of their best wins and now it is just making the record look as good as possible.

A big if...if UB wins all of their conference games, they will be 30 - 1 before the MACC.  That will get them in the Top 10, deserved or not.  If they get the autobid for winning the MACC, there will be articles that say  "Why not Buffalo for a #1 seed?"

We are in uncharted territory here.  Remember when St. Joes were the #1 team in the nation off a perfect regular season...their OOC was a great win vs Gonzaga and, I don't believe, a single P5 win.  They lost by a bunch in their conference tournament and still were given a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Love the optimism, but I dunno man... I don't think you'll see those articles, because MAC. And if you do, the answer will be, because of the MAC.

St. Joe's may not have had a great ooc schedule (they did beat Cal, BC, and San Fran), but their in conference is obviously tougher, and even if it weren't, is filled with 'names.'. We don't have that benefit...

2 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Soo.. how much do you think they SHOULD drop, losing to a team you think should be ranked? 😉

I actually like this - hate the automatic up/down based on win / loss. Look at the totallity, otherwise why bother with anything other than computer rankings?

1 hour ago, ubmae86 said:

Let's not ignore the fact that Kentucky jumped 6 spots with a 9pt win over Vandy. 6 spots? Really? I think that's a little presumptuous. A couple spots, sure, but not that many.

The Blue blood bias is strong...

Well, and the talent is undeniable, even if the results haven't quite been there. 

I have a tough time seeing us going well into the top 10 if we win out - I can't see the top 6 moving much, 7-10 would need to have a BAD streak to drop, and teams like Kentucky could easily move up with a nice run due to strength of schedule. I'd guess we have a ceiling of 8-9, which I wouldn't complain about. 😉

Ed I would put UNC at 15 right now. They definitely have great talent as they have good wins vs Gonzaga and nc state but are inconsistent (losses to Louisville and Texas). If it was me I’d have UNC around 15, Gonzaga around 8-9 and Nevada 13-14. Then have Marquette 16 and us 17. I know I’m not accounting for how everyone else in that mix would fit in between 1-14 but this is my (extremely unqualified) opinion haha.

I do however agree with your idea of a whole team aspect and not just a move up or down due to losses or lack there of. In reality I don’t think we are better than 15th in the nation although you know I’m going to be rooting for us to slowly climb the ladder. Once the tourney starts all hell breaks loose anyway and rankings don’t matter in terms of anybody can and will win. Going with the idea that you shouldn’t move down just because of a loss though makes it more confusing that we moved down so far after losing at a ranked Marquette in which I don’t think any team I the nation could’ve beat them that night. 

Edited by weareub46

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

Syracuse restoring a little luster to that UB win tonight is nice.

Florida St also dropping a game today, so we could be positioned to move up another couple spots this week. We'll see how the rest of the week shapes up, but I'm interested in the Virginia v VT tomorrow, as well as the UNC and Kentucky games tomorrow. Those 3 games could potentially give us a huge boost

Great to be in a position to have and enjoy these type of discussions. But let’s not forget what got us here; hard work, sacrifice, dedication, defensive tenacity, exemplary unselfishness and team work and last but not least one game at a time! Go Bulls!

• Like 1