Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

7 hours ago, sportscliche said:

West Virginia is now 0-5 in conference and...wait for it...a sub-500 team. Big-12 cellar dwellers. Will their continued downward spiral diminish the UB win? They did have a healthy Konate back then.

The WVU game was over 2 months ago. I'm far less worried about what other teams are doing as compared to what our team does at this point. The WVU game was big at the time, they were ranked, it was the first game of the season in the whole NCAA, and on the road in a season opening game. It was a big win regardless of what they are doing now. As for now, we just need to keep playing hard and taking care of our own business in the MAC and everything else will fall rightly into place.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

The WVU game was over 2 months ago. I'm far less worried about what other teams are doing as compared to what our team does at this point. The WVU game was big at the time, they were ranked, it was the first game of the season in the whole NCAA, and on the road in a season opening game. It was a big win regardless of what they are doing now. As for now, we just need to keep playing hard and taking care of our own business in the MAC and everything else will fall rightly into place.

This is truth.

The WVU win served its purpose...UB is ranked based (in part) off that way.Ā  Sure...it would be great if WVU was undefeated (except for that loss to UB) or even a strong team, but it is what it is.Ā  But WVU winning or losing games will not impact UB as much as what they do when they play.Ā 

Keep winning and keep good NET ranking (top 25) and keep in AP top 25.Ā  That would be a great recipe for an at large bid.Ā  The momentum is already there.

4 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

WVU still 100 in NET, better than all MAC teams outside of us, Toledo and Ball State. So the win will still help on selection sunday.

... and, because of conference opponents, they have a better chance of improving between now and Selection Sunday than either Toledo or Ball State.

I was hoping WVU would at least be competitive as the year went on, but really no matter what its a decent win. Even if they end up around .500 at all its better than cupcake wins you normally have on your schedule. Also Syracuse has looked stronger and just beat #1 Duke so that win looks better than it seemed. Im kinda just rooting for the Orange to get stronger and better throughout the ACC schedule.

• Like 1

Seems as if CBS Sports has grown fond of the Bulls. Here is their latest Basketball Power Rankings. Has UB at #9

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-power-rankings-michigan-up-to-no-2-after-duke-falls-and-michigan-state-jumps-into-the-top-five/Ā 

ā¤“ļøĀ Last week: No. 11.Ā Ā 
It's not just becauseĀ BuffaloĀ sits at 16-1 that it's cracking my top 10. (And you won't see more respect for the Bulls anywhere else, I can promise you.) Nate Oats' team has nine wins away from home and is plus-5.2 in turnover margin, which rates top-five in America. In the MAC,Ā which is arguably performing collectively as the bestĀ non-Major 7 conference this season, UB has won its first four league games by an average of 19.8 points. My prediction for Selection Sunday is this team getting a No. 5 seed.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Also, looks as if they are shooting some video material and interviews on campus with players and Nate.

Edited by BullsFan14
Added Buffalo Blurb

3 hours ago, BullsFan14 said:

Seems as if CBS Sports has grown fond of the Bulls. Here is their latest Basketball Power Rankings. Has UB at #9

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-power-rankings-michigan-up-to-no-2-after-duke-falls-and-michigan-state-jumps-into-the-top-five/Ā 

ā¤“ļøĀ Last week: No. 11.Ā Ā 
It's not just becauseĀ BuffaloĀ sits at 16-1 that it's cracking my top 10. (And you won't see more respect for the Bulls anywhere else, I can promise you.) Nate Oats' team has nine wins away from home and is plus-5.2 in turnover margin, which rates top-five in America. In the MAC,Ā which is arguably performing collectively as the bestĀ non-Major 7 conference this season, UB has won its first four league games by an average of 19.8 points. My prediction for Selection Sunday is this team getting a No. 5 seed.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Also, looks as if they are shooting some video material and interviews on campus with players and Nate.

What I find interesting that I keep hearing people talk about how well the MAC is doing collectively, but the majority of our teams are sub 150 on the net. Are the rest of the mid's that bad?

20 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

What I find interesting that I keep hearing people talk about how well the MAC is doing collectively, but the majority of our teams are sub 150 on the net. Are the rest of the mid's that bad?

MAC's average a few days ago was 131.5.Ā  Only two non-power conferences are above us: American and Pac 12

Ā 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well we escaped another week without a loss. These last 2 games kinda felt...iffy. A tight one against a not so great (albeit better than their record shows) wmu and again just didnā€™t feel like we were just not playing well. Hope we arenā€™t losing it especially with arguably the most difficult week in our conference schedule coming up next week RIGHT before students return...In any case we can enjoy Saturday and root for some good upsets and see if we can inch our way up anymore. Lots of good stuff

Two major games:

WVU at home vs #7 KansasĀ 

#14 Auburn at home vs #12 KentuckyĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

At this point Iā€™m more concerned with ourĀ upcoming games next week.

Ā 

NIU is going to be a veryyy difficult game on the road followed on with an always tough road test at Kent State.

Ā 

I donā€™t know much about NIU but I do know they are 3-1 in conference with 5 seniors on their team. Their top 4 scorers are all seniors. They have the experience and with the target on our back theyā€™ll be amped up. Ā We canā€™t afford a slow start on Tuesday. Ā Need to jump out of the gates.

Ā 

IfĀ we continue to have 13+ turnoversĀ your going to lose games,Ā which is fine,Ā but to keep our at large chances aliveĀ we need to give ourselves as much room for error as possible. February is going to be very difficult.Ā 

Go Bulls!Ā 

FDA25684-1E84-4751-8C33-46C84F498163.jpeg

NIU was an overtime road loss for UB last season. Ā It sure looks like they are a much better team now. German is an all-conference player. The ragged play of the last two games better get fixed or this game will be a disappointment. And donā€™t get me started on thatĀ bizarre paint job on the NIUĀ home court.Ā :classic_blink:

5 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Well we escaped another week without a loss. ...

Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, hurley said:

At this point Iā€™m more concerned with ourĀ upcoming games next week. ...

Ā 

How awesome that next week would be the 11th consecutive week in the top 25. To tie the record for most consecutive weeks, by any MAC team ever, in the top 25.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh said:

Syracuse beatingĀ duke and WV beating kansasĀ should help us a lot.Ā I say #14 if not higher. Ā 

As much as I love the idea, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I think 14 is our number. The problem is, above us are the powerhouses this season, with the exception of Nevada.

Even with Auburn and Texas Tech losing, I think it's unlikely we jump more than 2