Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

Bigger jump than expected!  If we get to 10-0 before the Cuse and Marquette game that should put us at 13-15 range.  If we manage to go 2-0 that week we'll be a lock for top 10.  One game at a time of course, but exciting times ahead!  Lets go bulls!!

2 minutes ago, hurley said:

Bigger jump than expected!  If we get to 10-0 before the Cuse and Marquette game that should put us at 13-15 range.  If we manage to go 2-0 that week we'll be a lock for top 10.  One game at a time of course, but exciting times ahead!  Lets go bulls!!

The fact that this is even in discussion is amazing. 

• Like 2

#17 Cant believe it, so awesome. I remember just seeing #25 there was enough for me. Had we say lost to SIU the next game, you couldnt take that 25 away.... but now its just crazy.

Going undefeated heading into Syr/Mar would be great. Both of those teams are just outside the Top 25 now in votes and could easily be ranked when we play them. 

My advice to all; Let's enjoy this moment in time. While it's fun to speculate ahead what could be, let's focus on what is and what has to be done in order to accomplish things no UB fan would dare have thought of before this special moment in time. Thank you Nate Oats. Thank you UB men's basketball! Go Bulls!

• Like 2

Glad to see things fell our way. Poll momentum is real - most of these AP voters aren't watching all these games, they're looking at where they had the teams last week then adjusting according to the results that week. That makes it really hard for anyone already out of the top 25 to begin the season to work their way in unless they have a marquis win very early on like UB did. Had it happened in week 3 or 4 ( and assuming WVU was ranked at a similar spot at the time of victory) I don't know that we'd be seeing UB in the top 25 right now.

Games with potential implication for teams that could land in the polls near UB or who are already there. Trying to only pick out games that should be competitive (Sorry Arkansas Pine Bluff but I don't think your Texas Tech game is going to be a nail biter): 

Monday: #18 Iowa vs. # 10 Michigan State; # 12 Wisconsin vs Rutgers;

Tuesday: Northeastern vs Syracuse; Oklahoma vs Notre Dame, Indiana vs Penn State

Wenesday: Temple vs # 21 Villanova, #24 Nebraska vs Minnesota; 

Thursday: #23 Maryland vs Purdue, Iowa State vs # 18 Iowa;

Friday: #6 Nevada vs # 20 Arizona State

Saturday: Georgetown vs Syracuse, # 22 Mississippi State vs Clemson, Houston vs Oklahoma State, # 12 Wisconsin vs Marquette, # 24 Nebraska vs Creighton, # 11 Florida State vs. UConn, UCLA vs Notre Dame

I don't expect as much volatility in the rankings around UB this week based on the schedules of the teams around them. Syracuse has a chance at 2 good teams this week which would likely land them back in the top 25. Marquette with a great opportunity against Wisconsin (who also has a sneaky good game against Rutgers this week). Notre Dame is not really in the top 25- discussion but could be if they go 2-0 vs Oklahoma and UCLA. Iowa with an opportunity for two statement wins this week, but 1-1 may even be enough to put them above a UB team that goes 2-0 this week. If Arizona State beats Nevada they'll sky rocket up the polls. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BasketBull said:

Glad to see things fell our way. Poll momentum is real - most of these AP voters aren't watching all these games, they're looking at where they had the teams last week then adjusting according to the results that week. That makes it really hard for anyone already out of the top 25 to begin the season to work their way in unless they have a marquis win very early on like UB did. Had it happened in week 3 or 4 ( and assuming WVU was ranked at a similar spot at the time of victory) I don't know that we'd be seeing UB in the top 25 right now.

Games with potential implication for teams that could land in the polls near UB or who are already there. Trying to only pick out games that should be competitive (Sorry Arkansas Pine Bluff but I don't think your Texas Tech game is going to be a nail biter): 

Monday: #18 Iowa vs. # 10 Michigan State; # 12 Wisconsin vs Rutgers;

Tuesday: Northeastern vs Syracuse; Oklahoma vs Notre Dame, Indiana vs Penn State

Wenesday: Temple vs # 21 Villanova, #24 Nebraska vs Minnesota; 

Thursday: #23 Maryland vs Purdue, Iowa State vs # 18 Iowa;

Friday: #6 Nevada vs # 20 Arizona State

Saturday: Georgetown vs Syracuse, # 22 Mississippi State vs Clemson, Houston vs Oklahoma State, # 12 Wisconsin vs Marquette, # 24 Nebraska vs Creighton, # 11 Florida State vs. UConn, UCLA vs Notre Dame

I don't expect as much volatility in the rankings around UB this week based on the schedules of the teams around them. Syracuse has a chance at 2 good teams this week which would likely land them back in the top 25. Marquette with a great opportunity against Wisconsin (who also has a sneaky good game against Rutgers this week). Notre Dame is not really in the top 25- discussion but could be if they go 2-0 vs Oklahoma and UCLA. Iowa with an opportunity for two statement wins this week, but 1-1 may even be enough to put them above a UB team that goes 2-0 this week. If Arizona State beats Nevada they'll sky rocket up the polls. 

Thank you for all this info! I have definitely watched more Top 25 games this year just because that is the company of the Bulls. Crazy to think!

Also, Andy Katz did his Power 36. Has Buffalo as 11th

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-12-03/college-basketball-gonzaga-virginia-michigan-top-power-36 

It's like, collectively, we are now at the 5 star (okay...4 1/2 star) hotel and are seeing and experiencing amenities that we either didn't know existed or have never seen up close before.   This is all new.

I really, really don't want to say something like "enjoy it while it lasts".  I want this NOT to be a one-off.   This is just our first taste.

The program has come a long way in 5 1/2 years.

Go Bulls!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi has us as a number 6 seed in the Tourney right now. This is so amazing to see us doing so well. I know it's still early and it's important to stay in the present, but this is amazing. I love the way this program is going and I hope to see us continue this pedigree of winning.

LETS GO BULLS!

Edited by ubmae86

5 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi has us as a number 6 seed in the Tourney right now. This is so amazing to see us doing so well. I know it's still early and it's important to stay in the present, but this is amazing. I love the way this program is going and I hope to see us continue this pedigree of winning.

LETS GO BULLS!

Imagine if the Buffalo Bulls were a 6th seed in the NCAA tournament! That is incredible!

4 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Imagine if the Buffalo Bulls were a 6th seed in the NCAA tournament! That is incredible!

RIGHT!! If it sticks the way he's showing it, we might have a pretty decent way to the elite 8. We would need to beat a good Florida St team and a really good Nevada team. But in the 8 we would play either Kansas or Kentucky, where we would probably hit the struggle bus.

Im still in awe by it. Being a fan for almost 2 decades though I appreciate it and live in the moment. I don't take anything for granted. Every day we show up on the top 25 line at the bottom of ESPN I smile because as amazing as this is, its incredibly tough to do. I never thought Id see us ranked in my lifetime. 350+ D1 teams, even if you are a great team in the MAC being ranked isn't really possible. I was fine with just seeing a #25 next to our name for 1 day. Didn't care after that. But the train keeps going, up to #17. I still feel the same way, enjoying it each day. I even got giddy seeing #17 on the program I bought at todays game. That will be a keepsake forever. Although hopefully we beat Bona which would mean the SIU game program we should be ranked the same or possibly even higher.

Just noticed San Fran blew out Cal 79-60 in their first game back too. Makes that win look even better although Cal appears quite down this year, its still a nice name win. SIU has also been very good recently.

We really have 4 tough games coming up

• Like 1