Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

If the Bulls drop out of the rankings, they have essentially zero chance to get back in. There are no ranked teams left on their schedule. This highlights another advantage of being in a P5. A team can muddle in the lower middle of the standings, but could see one or more ranked teams leading into March. Have one freaky good game and beat a ranked team and you’re immediately in the conversation for an at-large and possibly even a Top-25 ranking.

22 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

If the Bulls drop out of the rankings, they have essentially zero chance to get back in. There are no ranked teams left on their schedule. This highlights another advantage of being in a P5. A team can muddle in the lower middle of the standings, but could see one or more ranked teams leading into March. Have one freaky good game and beat a ranked team and you’re immediately in the conversation for an at-large and possibly even a Top-25 ranking.

I don’t know if I agree with that. If we drop out I’m assuming we’ll at least be getting votes. So many top 25 teams are getting beat up. I think if we kept consistently winning we could work our way back up but we’ll see. We need to take it to KSU and hope a 2 point road loss at the buzzer to a Q2 team doesn’t drop us more than 11 spots 

Earlier in the season I never thought any MAC loss wouldn't knock us out but being at 14 gives you a chance. Most of these voters don't look at anything but scores. Maybe they'll see a close 2pt loss and not give us the death penalty for it.

Obviously the key is the Kent game. Again they look at scores. Beat Kent (well known MAC team to the casual voters) by 10+ there and I think we stay ranked. I dont even care if its 22-25. If they drop out oh well. Great run, now focus on playing up to your abilities. 

Its been a dream season, it won't ruin it if they end up not being ranked the rest of the year. Id rather see them start playing like the dominant roster they are. And if that means one more odd loss but a great feel to their game Ill take it.

While some may think the sky is falling, Jay Bilas feels otherwise. He released his top 68 this morning

2084.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Buffalo Bulls

This team is legit. With top scorer and shooter CJ Massinburg, lefty wing Jeremy Harris and super-sub Nick Perkins, the Bulls can beat anyone. Until they tripped at Northern Illinois on Tuesday, the only loss for Buffalo was at Marquette, when Markus Howard turned into a video game. The Bulls might not lose again until the postseason. If there is a non-Power 5 (or Gonzaga) that can reach the Final Four, look no further than Buffalo.

Link: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25825177/jay-bilas-ranks-68-top-teams-college-basketball-february-nears 

• Like 2

Should be interesting to see where we end up on Monday. I say with a 9pt win at Kent we should def still be ranked. We’ll see how brutal the mid major bias is though. Let’s hope for some more top 25 losses this weekend. 

If it was up to me I would drop buffalo to prob 18. I’m expecting us to be 22

This site shows how each team did this week: https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/polls?season=2018&week=12&poll=1

Losses:

#9 Kansas @ #8 Kentucky 71-63

#10 Virginia Tech @ #11 UNC 103-82

#13 Maryland @ #6 Michigan State 69-55, vs. Illinois 78-67

#14 Texas Tech @ #28 Kansas State 58-45

#14 Buffalo @ NIU 77-75

#16 Auburn @ UofSC 80-77, @ #22 Mississippi St 92-84

#19 Iowa vs. #6 Michigan State 82-67

#20 Ole Miss @ Alabama 74-53, vs. #24 Iowa State 87-73

#21 NC State @ #23 Louisville 84-77

#22 Mississippi State @ #8 Kentucky 76-55

#24 Iowa State @ #9 Kansas 80-76

-------RV------

#26 Florida State beat Clemson, plays @ Miami (FL) tomorrow

#27 Purdue beat Ohio State, plays vs #6 Michigan State tomorrow

#28 Kansas State beat #14 Texas Tech, lost @ Texas A&M

#29 Nebraska lost @ Rutgers, lost vs Ohio State

#30 Wisconsin beat @ Illinois, beat vs Northwestern

#31 Oklahoma beat @ Oklahoma St, beat vs. Vanderbilt

Edited by rma

Rothstein has us at #21 (#13 last week).  Interestingly he moved NC State up 7 after a 7 point loss @ (his #16) #23 Louisville, and a 2 point win at home vs Clemson 🙄

#19 Iowa lost again

Ben Steele has us dropping from #12 to #22

David Borges has us dropping from #12 to #16

Seth Davis has us rising(!!!!) to #19 from #22

Down 6 spots in both Berman (#18) and Carino’s poll (#19)

Down 7 in Luke DeCock’s ballot (#17)

Down 2 in Sordelett’s ballot (#16)

Edited by rma

LINK: Big 4 Update: UB rebounds following first MAC loss

Buffalo’s loss against Northern Illinois will be judged more harshly than a Power-Five school losing to another P5 program but it shouldn’t be enough to drop them outside of the rankings with plenty of other programs slotted near them also suffering losses last week.

If I were to guess, I’d predict the Bulls to be ranked 22nd in Monday’s poll.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

My son and I spoke about this.  He does some investigation unbeknownst to me.

I think we both say #22.  But there are a lot of teams with two losses not ranked, so we can have no more slip ups for a while.

There are no 1 or 2 loss teams that aren't ranked. 

UB is only one of 8 teams and only 1 of 3 with 2 losses. They are all ranked.