Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

37 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Here’s an interesting question: Do we want teams ranked in the teens and 20s to lose to unranked bubble teams?

Example: If Texas were to beat Iowa St right now, that would strengthen Teaxs at large resume and potentially weaken our at large case. But it would drop Iowa St in the rankings and keep us potentially ranked. Same with Miss  St and Ole Miss. So my fellow board members...going forward which do we want?

Excellent dilemma. Not being greedy (haha), I would say have the higher ranked teams beat the lower ranked. While thwarting any chance for advancing the Bulls’ rank, it cushions them for an at-large. Unless they lose a couple more. Or is this the year where the basketball gods make up for the snub in 2005?

4 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

#23 NC State just lost and scored 24 points. Other games to keep an eye on today:

-#20 Iowa St. hosting unranked Texas

-#22 Mississippi St. at unranked Ole Miss

-#19 LSU hosting unranked Arkansas

Yeah I guess can always be worse. A ranked team scoring 24 pts total. Insane

LINK: Big 4 Update: Buffalo Poll Watch Speculation

MAC fans know how difficult it is to win on the road. They also know that the Falcons are having their best season in forever.

It was never going to be easy for UB to leave the Stroh Center with a victory but I’m not sure AP voters will understand that.

They were very forgiving following Buffalo's loss to Northern Illinois last week, dropping them only four spots to 18th. I’m not so sure they’ll be as understanding this time around.

It would be a different scenario if they hadn’t dropped conference games in back-to-back weeks. For that reason alone, I have the Bulls dropping out of the AP Top 25, becoming one of the first few teams out.

That said, I still think they’re safely on the right side of the bubble conversation. One more regulation season loss and things will get a bit dicey moving forward but they’re still in good shape at the moment.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

On 1/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, UB92 said:

My son and I spoke about this.  He does some investigation unbeknownst to me.

I think we both say #22.  But there are a lot of teams with two losses not ranked, so we can have no more slip ups for a while.

Yeah no, not looking good, It’d be a miracle at this point. 

They'll likely be somewhere around 26-28 IMO.  Slight chance they hold on to #25.  Decock (23), Carino (25), and Couch (14) still have them ranked. Rothstein, Bozich, and Vitale (Josh) do not from what I've seen.  If they're out, I think it's unlikely you'll see them back in unless they run the table, in which case they might get enough attention to sneak back in near the end of conference play.  UB is still 23 in the NET though, which matters more for the tournament than the AP Top 25.

Whew I’m happy with that. Not that I would’ve been surprised if we were dropped but it would’ve been a major move. Glad to keep the ranked streak going. Luckily we have a favorable week this week. With any luck we can move up a spot or two if the right pieces lose in the rankings before a hellish week next week

5 minutes ago, rma said:

Bad news about where we are is that we don’t control our own destiny completely. A good week by 26-30 could knock us out even with a win. 

That is a glass-is-half-empty perspective!

I think this ride has been educational for all of us fans to understand the inner workings of the poll and how those who vote view losses.

The bottom line is that the Arizona game, the early season success this year and the high-profile pieces (in ESPN and elsewhere) have given UB's season some "mass".  Thus many voters have to overcome that inertia to move UB far after losses.  Of course, each loss moves us in the wrong direction.

While we have the Chips at home on Saturday, we do have two tough road games in Akron and Toledo after that.   Once again, everyone wants to knock off the ranked team in their building.

One at a time, though.  Chips at home this weekend.

Go Bulls.

• Like 2

Bowling Green was a wake-up call for players like Jeremy Harris, Nick Perkins, and Davonta Jordan. It's time to step up. It's time to fulfill those minutes you're receiving nightly and to lead your team by example. They aren't remotely play to their potential and they know it. Now is the time to find it within you to play as your full potential.

I think I can safely say that, we are not as deep of a team as we as a fan base thought. We have 7 guys who are giving us production. As much as I thought Jeenathan Williams and Rondo Segu would increasingly become more and more productive through conference play....that may not be the case. I'm not ruling them out yet, but, I think we're seeing as much as we're going to get from them this season. Guys like Tra'Von Fagan are not ready yet and he certainly has time to develop for next year. And Brock Bertram? Well, he may never be the paint player I thought he was going to be.

The rest of the year, we need all 7 of our top guys to step up. I believe we are still in at-large talk. But, I don't think we can lose another game until the MAC championship game (if we make it there). It's going to be a tough, stressful road ahead, but, I think we are capable of getting the job done. I'm confident we can make it happen. 

The Segu and Williams issue is an interesting one. I have read a good deal of posters on this board state they are not ready for this level but what is that really based upon?

Is it based purely at looking at the stats or what they have actually done when on the floor? I would argue that we may be better served to let these guys, particularly Segu, figure some things out playing additional minutes than they have been. I think the case for that grows in games where guys like Harris and Jordan struggle as was the case Friday. Yes, Segu may be a defensive liability but so was the rest of the team in the 2nd half.

17 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

The Segu and Williams issue is an interesting one. I have read a good deal of posters on this board state they are not ready for this level but what is that really based upon?

Is it based purely at looking at the stats or what they have actually done when on the floor? I would argue that we may be better served to let these guys, particularly Segu, figure some things out playing additional minutes than they have been. I think the case for that grows in games where guys like Harris and Jordan struggle as was the case Friday. Yes, Segu may be a defensive liability but so was the rest of the team in the 2nd half.

I evaluate the two frosh based on what I see. I’ll admit I bought into their hype. Specifically Williams. And to this date they play like freshman, sometimes good most times lost. Segu seems further along than Williams. But both need to keep growing and developing. We are 7 strong and yes I agree with Mike that we aren’t as deep as we thought. I mentioned after the loss to BG that after Jordan we have no true point guard other than Segu. But both their better days are ahead of them. It’s unfair to think they would be leaned upon given the amount of talent we had returning.

As for the ranking, I’m shocked we are still ranked. I think that shows the voters respect our body of work and potential. But I think our slack has reached its limit. Time to start a good win streak again.

I think oats needs to quit messing around and stick to playing the upper classmen only. Segu and Williams will have 3 years to play more minutes. The games we lost in the MAC they both got more mins. This team is good because of the seniors and guys who played last year Jordan/Graves. They are the ones that won over Arizona and beat WV/Cuse. I honestly dont care about the freshmens development for next year. We should want to win THIS year when we have this historical senior laden team. That said stick to a 7 man rotation going forward only play the freshman at the end of the games or when really in foul trouble.  Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, rma said:

Bad news about where we are is that we don’t control our own destiny completely. A good week by 26-30 could knock us out even with a win. 

2 hours ago, UB92 said:

That is a glass-is-half-empty perspective!...

Many weeks I'd agree with UB92, but... this week, a bye week, I agree with rma.

I'd think a two win team should be able to jump a one win team.  And, we don't control everyone's schedules.

44 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I think oats needs to quit messing around and stick to playing the upper classmen only. Segu and Williams will have 3 years to play more minutes. The games we lost in the MAC they both got more mins. This team is good because of the seniors and guys who played last year Jordan/Graves. They are the ones that won over Arizona and beat WV/Cuse. I honestly dont care about the freshmens development for next year. We should want to win THIS year when we have this historical senior laden team. That said stick to a 7 man rotation going forward only play the freshman at the end of the games or when really in foul trouble.  Just my opinion. 

Segu and Williams played a combined 17 minutes against BG with essentially no stats. Harris and Jordan played a combined 55 minutes and went 5 of 20 from the field for 10 points. Not sure what the answer is but all need to be better.

Maybe the answer has to do with CJ taking more than 12.7 shots per game in conference play. I would like to see that number up to around 15 or 16 per game given the way he is shooting. Harris is shooting 12.2 times per game in conference play yet his shooting % is about 10% worse than CJ.

49 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

We have seen Oats in crunch time stick to the main 7 and steal a few minutes with the freshmen. That’s the formula for big games. However you have to play more than 7 during conference play, otherwise come March we will have dead legs. It’s one of those lose the battle win the war situations. 

7 hours ago, UB92 said:

That is a glass-is-half-empty perspective!

Just being realistic.  I'm happy we're still ranked, don't think we're a top 25 team though.  Hope we stay ranked.

5 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Completely disagree.  One of the keys to the WBB team winning the 2016 MAC Tournament was a freshman, Gabi Bade, stepping up in the semifinals scoring 13 when (2018 All MAC 2nd Team) Stephanie Reid fouled out. 

We don't need to give them 25 minutes each, but they can't sit out the entire game.

• Like 1