Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

39 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

23 in net and kenpom, looking hopeful to keep the drive alive for staying in the rankings

The NET rankings don’t include tonight’s win yet though right? Says through 2/14 unless you know of somewhere that updates it more frequently we might be able to bump up tomorrow. Obviously with a huge slate of games Saturday it could change pretty drastically again 

1 minute ago, weareub46 said:

The NET rankings don’t include tonight’s win yet though right? Says through 2/14 unless you know of somewhere that updates it more frequently we might be able to bump up tomorrow. Obviously with a huge slate of games Saturday it could change pretty drastically again 

NET hasn't updated. KenPom only moved us to 23. 

So far no luck in the rankings. Wisconsin and Louisville won't hurt too bad losing close games to top 11 teams.

Yea we’ll see what happens tomorrow. Cincinnati auburn and wofford were the first 3 out last week and it doesn’t look like any of those teams did/can do enough to pass over us to get in. Even if Maryland  loses at Michigan they shouldn’t drop below us with their win over Purdue. 

23 ISU plays at 18 KSU. A loss for Iowa state could potentially bump us ahead of them. 

With the season Pitt is having I would think if 22 VT loses there tomorrow we might be able to skip them. 

Youd think even with a loss at Georgia, 19 LSU should be safe with their (controversial) win over 5 Kentucky earlier this week.

A 21 Iowa loss at Rutgers could potentially be beneficial for us. 

17 Florida state plays at Georgia tech but I doubt a loss there would make them drop low enough for us to benefit.

Most likely the same story with 16 louisiville and 15 Texas tech with home games against unranked teams. That would be too drastic of a drop. 

Still a couple games tomorrow to be watching in addition to BG at NIU

Edited by weareub46

33 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

I have a bad feeling that even with the 2 wins, we might drop off the rankings this week.

Who do you see replacing us? I think Wofford is good but if you didn’t rank them last week don’t see how you can rank them this week. 

2 hours ago, rma said:

Who do you see replacing us? I think Wofford is good but if you didn’t rank them last week don’t see how you can rank them this week. 

I'm not sure... Maybe Cincy moves up. I'm just jaded from all the disrespect mid-majors get from the pollsters.

6 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

How would they drop off the rankings winning two road games in tough enviroments....one of which also had 20 wins.  There’s no way.  

I don't think they should move down. We all know that they had 2 quality wins this week. I agree with some of the other posters though, you never know with these guys. Cincy was 26th, went 1-0 beating Wichita St at home today (not a big move upward), Auburn went 1-1 (shouldn't move up), Washington 1-0 beating Wash. St. by 2 yesterday (not a big move upward). That being said, we should be safe. #24 MD won earlier in the week to #12 but lost to #6, so they shouldn't move much. I'll be happy with 25 tomorrow, and as long as we keep winning (which we will) we should slowly creep back upward as teams lose.

9 minutes ago, rma said:

0 for 3 so far. To be expected but disappointing that the two road wins don’t mean much.

Not sure that they "don't mean much". We won 2 games in which we were favored in, albeit tough environments. We are 22 in NET and 24 in Kenpom, so we're right around where we should be ranked in the poll.

11 minutes ago, rma said:

0 for 3 so far. To be expected but disappointing that the two road wins don’t mean much.

Did these voters have us ranked last week? Example: Jon Rothstein doesn’t have us ranked this week. But he dropped us out two weeks ago. As I said once we fall out of voters ranks it will be hard to get back in. But overall I can’t see us dropping out after two road wins. One being a Q1 win. If we start losing votes from voters who have continued to have us ranked then that’s worrisome.

Edited by DooleyBull06

18 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Not sure that they "don't mean much". We won 2 games in which we were favored in, albeit tough environments. We are 22 in NET and 24 in Kenpom, so we're right around where we should be ranked in the poll.

Road wins are always good wins. See NIU as an example. 

4 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Road wins are always good wins. See NIU as an example. 

Road wins are always good wins, most definitely! This week's 2 wins were definitely big wins, and extremely challenging ones. The rankings are about where they're going to remain at this point, there shouldn't be major swings up or down unless teams lose games that they shouldn't. It's not lie earlier in the season where teams were just building their body of work. We are 25 games in, people should know what we've got...and what we've got is a 22-3 team with a winning Q1 record and 10 road wins. That's pretty darn awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rma said:

We've been 0-3 three straight Mondays now from the early 3.

Though beating that dumpster NIU team (on a freefall and now could even drop to like 10th in the conference) could have us #15 right now. Still taking it to the grave that we beat that team by 10 in OT if we just cover their backup PF. 

Though I'll admit tomorrow is a bit scary, could be anywhere from 24-26. Washington/Cincy could always jump back in after 1-0 weeks.

This week's AP ballot from Zach Osterman of the Indy Star

1 Duke

2 Gonzaga

3 UVa

4 UK

5 Tennessee

6 Nevada

7 UNC 

8 Michigan

9 Marquette

10 Houston

11 Mich St

12 Texas Tech

13 Purdue

14 Iowa

15 Kansas

16 Villanova

17 LSU

18 Va Tech

19 Wisconsin

20 Iowa State

21 UofL

22 Kansas State

23 FSU

24 Maryland

25 Buffalo

LINK: Big 4 Update: UB shifts into "lock" status

Poll Watch:

It’ll be interesting to see where Buffalo ends up in the polls this week. They dropped two spots in the AP Poll last week after coming back to defeat Central Michigan at home.

This week, they put together two impressive road performances.

That has to count for something, right? I’m not sure it will. There wasn’t a ton of meaningful results by teams ahead of them in the rankings. 

My expectation is for the Bulls to leapfrog Maryland, moving up to 24th in the AP Poll.